Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=378)

barone 08-28-2005 06:50 PM

Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion

1 Attachment(s)
Okay.....I've finally decided to start work on this original Canaroc kit. Picked it up on an auction site (E-bay or ROL) and since it's my second one, guess it needs to come off the shelf and get into the air. Started filling the spirals on the body tubes before I thought to take a 'before' picture but that's as far as I've gotten. I'm kinda slow at building but I'll try to post pictures and let you all know how I'm progressing. The plans are pretty straight forward (copy in the plans section). Balsa is the old type (cut out the patterns and transfer to the balsa). I'm planning on filling the grain before cutting out the patterns since it's a whole lot easier to sand with a sanding block, although a little tougher cutting out the fins. Only problem I foresee is cutting the plastic wraps to size. I'm going to assume the details are centered in the wrap measurements. Also, I'm going to use a kevlar anchor for the shock cord and kevlar thread for the shroud lines. Comes with cotton thread for the shrouds but it looks like sewing thread. Shock cords are elastic thread (1/8th inch) instead of rubber.

sandman 08-28-2005 07:11 PM

Could I ask you a big favor before you go ahead and build this?

Would you mind taking some good 3-view pics of the nose cone for me preferably with a scale (ruler or an inch square) in the pic for me, please?

Post them here in this thread.

Also what is the O.D. and I.D. of the nose cone body tube?

Thank You,

sandman

P.S. On second thought...it probably won't make any difference if you take pictures of the nose cone before or after you build it. :rolleyes:

barone 08-28-2005 08:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Sandman,

I'll try my best. How good a picture you want? My digital can do 5.1 megapixel but the image may be to large for the forum. By the way.......really loved looking at your rockets at NARAM......especially your mega Sprint and Goony Constipation (Constellation LOL).

The catalog lists the PT-100 BTs with an id of 1.8cm and od of 1.91cm (BT20). PT-200 id of 2.41cm and od of 2.5cm (close enough to BT50). This is the main BT that holds the nose cone. PT-400 id of 4.09cm and od of 4.19cm (just a little larger than BT60).

Here's some nose pictures. It'll be a while before I get to assembling that portion so if you need better picks, let me know. For that matter, I can send it to you and you can send it back.

Ltvscout 08-28-2005 08:25 PM

Aren't those detail parts on the clear plastic sheet vacu-formed? Arley's parts he's selling are cast parts and they're quite thick and heavy. I'd think that someone with vacu-form abilities should be able to make a more realistic clone of those parts. Those sheets look small enough that I'd think one of those old Mattel Vacu-form machines you can buy on eBay would do the job.

EchoVictor 08-28-2005 10:26 PM

barone,

I'm working on making my Sunward Galactic Wave look as close to the Canaroc Scorpion as possible. Any way you could take a couple more photos of the pictures on the box?

Thanks,
EV

sandman 08-28-2005 10:48 PM

barone,

Those are perfect, thanks!

barone 08-28-2005 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
barone,

I'm working on making my Sunward Galactic Wave look as close to the Canaroc Scorpion as possible. Any way you could take a couple more photos of the pictures on the box?

Thanks,
EV

Image files are too large to upload. I'll try to e-mail them to you. How close are the parts of the Galactic Wave to the Scorpion? I was kinda disappointed with the Gravity Rider but I think it will still be a good build but not like the Antares would be. I think I'm going to try to clone the Antares after this Scorpion build is complete.

Don

EchoVictor 08-29-2005 08:36 AM

The Galactic Wave is kind of an upscale of the Scorpion, with some details changed.

The body tubes are BT-56 and BT-80 (instead of BT-50/60), with the side tubes as BT-50 (20).

The GW has the side tubes bevel rotated 180 degrees.

Different shape to the nose cone cockpit.

No body wraps.

No long "ion cannon" on the bottom.

Disappointing decals (4 red triangles, 2 name badges, and a couple of "Rescue" arrows. That's it).

The wings are upscaled in width (root edge) to fit the larger tubes, but they are the same length (leading edge) as the original. :confused: Thus, a straight upscale of the decal won't work. I masked and painted the red panels by hand.

The GW instructions show all wings mounted at 45 deg from horizontal. I placed them at 30 deg from horizontal as shown by the Scorpion instructions. As a matter of fact, I used the entire Scorpion instructions to build the GW. They're that close.

My plan is to make up some decals to re-create the look of the Scorpion. I'll even have the name "Galactic Wave" in the same typefont. It's "American Uncial".

Later,
EV

BTW, I'll be doing a straight Antares clone as well. I looked at the bag, and the Gravity Rider uses all BT-56. I think this detracts from the BT-50/BT-20 look of the original.

barone 08-29-2005 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
The wings are upscaled in width (root edge) to fit the larger tubes, but they are the same length (leading edge) as the original. :confused: Thus, a straight upscale of the decal won't work. I masked and painted the red panels by hand.

Phred has the decals for the Scorpion. Maybe he can play around with them to get them to fit the Galactic Wave version...... :)

Don

barone 08-29-2005 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Aren't those detail parts on the clear plastic sheet vacu-formed? Arley's parts he's selling are cast parts and they're quite thick and heavy. I'd think that someone with vacu-form abilities should be able to make a more realistic clone of those parts. Those sheets look small enough that I'd think one of those old Mattel Vacu-form machines you can buy on eBay would do the job.

Scott,

I'm willing to loan the pieces out to someone with the capability to clone the parts. Like I said, I'm slow at building..... :) . I was planning on making a clay mold of them in case I mess them up and perhaps carving new details from balsa. Unfortunately, my talents are limited and would much prefer having a second set of wraps available....... ;)