Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What to do with John Pursley's scale data library (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=19282)

L3Excalibur 02-01-2021 06:22 PM

What to do with John Pursley's scale data library

John was a (very talented) scale spacemodeling fanatic, as we all know. He accumulated a great deal of scale data over the past 40 years. I have 2 full file cabinet drawers full of data on dozens of prototypes. I also have 23 GB (in zip files) from his scale data folder on his computer.

I'd like to make as much of this as possible generally available (and free to access). Any suggestions on how to go about doing that?

Thanks.

L3Excalibur 02-01-2021 06:30 PM

And if someone has an email address for Peter Alway, please send it to me --- by PRIVATE MESSAGE ONLY, please. I want to touch base and see if John had any data he can use for his scale books.

tdracer 02-01-2021 06:41 PM

My first thought is to make it available to NAR Technical Services (if they'll take it). Perhaps a condition of (what should be a sizeable) donation of the funds from selling John's hardware could be to make his scale data available on the NAR website.

Earl 02-01-2021 07:45 PM

Is this anything the Museum of Flight folks would be interested in (the keeper of Vern’s and Lee’s files)? Seems they may have their hands full with cataloging the aforementioned files, but there might be some interest....

Earl

Ez2cDave 02-01-2021 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3Excalibur
John was a (very talented) scale spacemodeling fanatic, as we all know. He accumulated a great deal of scale data over the past 40 years. I have 2 full file cabinet drawers full of data on dozens of prototypes. I also have 23 GB (in zip files) from his scale data folder on his computer.

I'd like to make as much of this as possible generally available (and free to access). Any suggestions on how to go about doing that?

Thanks.

Buzz,

I think you should check about getting it posted online, either on Scott's website or Ninfinger.

It should, absolutely, be widely available, free of charge !

NAR would probably require NAR membership for access . . . I believe the data should be available, without any "strings attached".

The zip files should be posted right away and provisions for scanning everything else should be made, so that it can be uploaded, too.

Dave F.

Royatl 02-02-2021 01:11 PM

I'd be glad to host them on rocketryfiles.com.

shockwaveriderz 02-02-2021 02:30 PM

what will happen to his wraps business? will somebody be picking up the slack there?

L3Excalibur 02-02-2021 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
what will happen to his wraps business? will somebody be picking up the slack there?

We are looking at potential buyers and other possible solutions to take care of both the skins and the 3D parts that John designed. One way or another, it will be available again, at some point, and hopefully expanded upon.

shockwaveriderz 02-02-2021 08:26 PM

thanks Buzz!

Ez2cDave 04-20-2021 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3Excalibur

Thanks.

Hi, Buzz !

Has any progress been made on scanning the rest of the items from John's collection ( besides what I already got from you ) ?

Dave F.