Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Want to build F size Honest John (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=20123)

SaturnV 12-13-2021 06:04 PM

Want to build F size Honest John
 
1 Attachment(s)
For this project I plan on using a 3" diameter tube. That means the nose cone will be about 4" or a bit bigger at its largest diameter. Kind of at a loss as to how to make it. I could always get 4 balsa blocks 2"X2"X12" and glue them together then turn it on my lathe, but those blocks are expensive. I thought about making one out of the blue colored foam (like styrofoam) found at the box stores, then perhaps a light coating of fiberglass resin or epoxy coating. Even thought of turning one out of pine and using that as a pattern to make a mold to make a fiberglass shell. Anyone have any other ideas? I am not a stranger to this, I saw the price for a "G" powered Saturn V and said NO WAY, and scratch built one. Had to roll my own tube using posterboard. Flew it once on a G80. Photo of the beast on my deck:

georgegassaway 12-13-2021 09:16 PM

Well, here's a file for a 3D printed 1/7.3 scale model

If you have a friend with a printer who'd not charge you much, or can find someone to print for you are a reasonable price.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2437631

There may be a better file out there (I know there is a nice BT-60 3D print that could be scaled up maybe, but that is printed from $hapeway$).

SaturnV 12-14-2021 09:14 AM

Thanks guys. 3D is WAY WAY beyond me. I am a balsa and basswood and bondo and fiberglass type of guy. I was not aware of the fusion kit. 4" is a bit big for me and I doubt an F would fly it, not to mention the price for what WILL one day be plowing nose first into a field (my eventual luck with these things!!!) but I will contact them about the 3" they previously sold. Thanks again.

Ez2cDave 07-13-2022 07:52 PM

Whatever happened to this project ?

Dave F.

georgegassaway 07-13-2022 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
Whatever happened to this project ?

Dave F.

Oh, the incredible irony that you would ask that of anyone.

.

BigRIJoe 07-14-2022 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
Oh, the incredible irony that you would ask that of anyone.

.

Feel better now that you've got that off your chest?

Bill 07-14-2022 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnV
For this project I plan on using a 3" diameter tube. That means the nose cone will be about 4" or a bit bigger at its largest diameter. Kind of at a loss as to how to make it.


If I was to do that, I would consider building it like the old Estes K-27 kit.

Find a 3:1 ogive cone for a 4" tube. Resembling the Alpha cone, it is a popular shape. Glue a 3" coupler to the base of the cone.

Make a cardstock shroud reinforced by fiberglassing to form the aft part if the warhead "cone."

You may have to grind or sand the base of the cone some to get it to fit into the shroud.


Bill

Ez2cDave 07-14-2022 09:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
If I was to do that, I would consider building it like the old Estes K-27 kit.

Find a 3:1 ogive cone for a 4" tube. Resembling the Alpha cone, it is a popular shape. Glue a 3" coupler to the base of the cone.

Make a cardstock shroud reinforced by fiberglassing to form the aft part if the warhead "cone."

You may have to grind or sand the base of the cone some to get it to fit into the shroud.


Bill



Bill,

Excellent suggestion !

Dave F.

SaturnV 07-14-2022 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
Whatever happened to this project ?

Dave F.


Well, I decided to go with balsa....I bought some 2X2 X12 blocks, glued 4 together, and tried to shape them on my lathe. Came out fair., lots of wood filler helped! Right now I am hollowing it out to cut down the weight. Honestly, now that I retired I have never been so busy in my life, but the plan is to slowly work on it this summer to be ready for a flight at my farmer friends field next spring (the only time I can use his field). If it doesn't come out too bad I will post a photo here.

Ez2cDave 07-14-2022 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnV
Well, I decided to go with balsa....I bought some 2X2 X12 blocks, glued 4 together, and tried to shape them on my lathe. Came out fair., lots of wood filler helped! Right now I am hollowing it out to cut down the weight. Honestly, now that I retired I have never been so busy in my life, but the plan is to slowly work on it this summer to be ready for a flight at my farmer friends field next spring (the only time I can use his field). If it doesn't come out too bad I will post a photo here.


Thanks for the update . . .

Have a great build and a great flight !

Dave F.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.