Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Using Up A8-3s (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18253)

Astrosaint 01-05-2020 07:08 PM

Using Up A8-3s

Happy 2020,

Since I have a bunch of A8-3s, I decided to build a bunch of BT-20 rockets to use the bunch. I am cloning Estes Sprites and Centuri Vector-Vs along with RDC moon-glo kits.

Astrosaint

A Fish Named Wallyum 01-06-2020 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrosaint
Happy 2020,

Since I have a bunch of A8-3s, I decided to build a bunch of BT-20 rockets to use the bunch. I am cloning Estes Sprites and Centuri Vector-Vs along with RDC moon-glo kits.

Astrosaint

Wizards, Vikings and Sky Hooks are also great A8-3 birds. :cool:

tbzep 01-06-2020 07:15 AM

Build a cluster rocket in addition to all those little minimum diameter birds. A pair of A8's will give you a good approximation of the fabled B14. If all you have are 3 second delays, the rocket will need to be fairly heavy. You could do something like a long Bertha or move up in diameter if you don't like tall rockets. In other words, any rocket that you've flown on a B6-4 and thought a B6-2 would be better, that's a good size for the twin A8-3. It's perfect for larger demos on small fields if you ever do anything for a school, scouts, or church and the field size is limited.

Astrosaint 01-06-2020 10:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Build a cluster rocket in addition to all those little minimum diameter birds. A pair of A8's will give you a good approximation of the fabled B14. If all you have are 3 second delays, the rocket will need to be fairly heavy. You could do something like a long Bertha or move up in diameter if you don't like tall rockets. In other words, any rocket that you've flown on a B6-4 and thought a B6-2 would be better, that's a good size for the twin A8-3. It's perfect for larger demos on small fields if you ever do anything for a school, scouts, or church and the field size is limited.

Greetings:

Well, I inherited about a 1,000 of these little motors from a closed out rocket education program. I gave out 2/3 of them for free to deserving kids and adults and will use the rest. They were all Pistco samples. I have done clusters but ignition using the new starters is a question mark these days.
[IMG][IMG]Atlee.gif[/IMG][/IMG] [IMG][IMG][SPRITE 20[/IMG][/IMG]

tbzep 01-06-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:
I have done clusters but ignition using the new starters is a question mark these days.

I do clusters with up to 4 motors all the time. The modern "starters" are no problem. Just make sure they are not damaged and use a 12v source instead of these little 6v or 9v Estes and Quest systems. If you are still paranoid about them, you can dip/paint them in nitrocellulose lacquer (nail polish). A visual inspection and individual continuity check will go a long way in successful clustering with modern "starters".

Cheap lawnmower batteries, gel cells, etc are good, even when they won't kick over an engine anymore.

BTW, I've got a big stash of A8-3's and C6-7's from Walmart closeouts over the years. I've done a bunch of C6-7 clusters because of that. Three C6-7's give you that D20 (actually a baby ~E15 with a peak thrust of about 45N) that a lot of people want Estes to produce.

john ager 02-06-2020 05:41 PM

I'm in the same boat. I have about 500 of them that I need to use up. I looked at Quest and Custom and found a number of interesting rockets to burn up some A8-3 and A8-5's

I'm also in the painting stages of building a Semroc Ranger clone from a Big Bertha but added the 3 motor cluster. Should fly nicely on a trio of A8-3's .

astronwolf 02-06-2020 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ager
I'm in the same boat. I have about 500 of them that I need to use up. I looked at Quest and Custom and found a number of interesting rockets to burn up some A8-3 and A8-5's

I'm also in the painting stages of building a Semroc Ranger clone from a Big Bertha but added the 3 motor cluster. Should fly nicely on a trio of A8-3's .

Host the Cub Scouts at a launch. Hand out the A8-3s like candy.

LeeR 02-06-2020 06:12 PM

Quote:
Greetings:

[…]

I have done clusters but ignition using the new starters is a question mark these days.

I dip the new starters in nitrocellulose lacquer. I bought a pint can from Firefox Enterprises, but used to make my own by dissolving ping pong balls in acetone. You want the dip “syrupy” thick so it clings, and not run.

I have dipped them “as-is”, and they work very well, but now prefer to soak in water for 30-45 minutes to partially dissolve the clear coating on the tip. It will loosen up and easily wipe off, leaving the bare nichrome bridge wire. This gives a direct contact between wire and coating.

Dip in the NC lacquer to lightly coat the tip. Too heavy, and they may not fit in the nozzle.

I hang them tip down to dry by taping them to the edge of a shelf over my workbench. At ignition you”ll get a nice flame, rather than just a glowing wire.

I have not had any issues with ignition using dipped starters.

john ager 02-06-2020 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I dip the new starters in nitrocellulose lacquer. I bought a pint can from Firefox Enterprises, but used to make my own by dissolving ping pong balls in acetone. You want the dip “syrupy” thick so it clings, and not run.

I Have dipped them “as-is”, and they work very well, but now prefer to soak in water for 30-45 minutes to partially dissolve the clear coating on the tip. It will loosen up and easily wipe off, leaving the bare nichrome bridge wire. This gives a direct contact between wire and coating.

Dip in the NC lacquer to lightly coat the tip. Too heavy, and they may not fit in the nozzle.

I hang them tip down to dry by taping them to the edge of a shelf over my workbench. At ignition you”ll get a nice flame, rather than just glowing wire.

I've started dipping all of my Estes igniters in Testors Silver paint. Nothing fancy, Just dip and let dry. Haven't had a failure since.

tbzep 02-06-2020 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ager

Three A8-3's will give you about a C30-3 with about 7Ns. Mortar shot. :cool: