Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Wanted: Dead or Alive! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   MRC Concept II kits (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18389)

leftover 03-23-2020 03:24 AM

MRC Concept II kits

Looking for any of the MR concept II kits but especially the Ironman kit.
Open kit is ok.
Thanks

Earl 03-23-2020 04:57 PM

You may already be aware of this, but an eBay seller currently has two of these kits listed for sale, the Flare Patriot and the Standard ARM.

Link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/dragshark-...=p2047675.l2562

Earl

ghrocketman 03-23-2020 05:20 PM

The Standard ARM is about the only decent kit in that line.

jetlag 03-24-2020 08:07 AM

The MPC Iron Man is a neat rocket.

sandman 03-24-2020 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftover
Looking for any of the MR concept II kits but especially the Ironman kit.
Open kit is ok.
Thanks

I have an MRC Trailblazer. Still sealed.

I was going to build it but I have hundreds more kits to build so I probably won't miss it.

PM me if interested.

Earl 03-31-2020 07:44 PM

This seller has two kits: the Trailblazer and the Standard ARM. Both are Buy It Now for $70-$80 each.

Link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/oddbempori...=p2047675.l2562

Not my listing nor do I know the seller.

Earl

ghrocketman 03-31-2020 09:02 PM

Those MRC kits are PERHAPS worth HALF what that seller is asking.

Initiator001 04-01-2020 01:32 PM

MRC History

The MRC Concept II product line was a re-boot of the original MRC rocket line which did not perform as well as expected.

Bill Stine was hired to revamp the whole product line and CONCEPT II was the result.

As Bill was designing kits for the Concept II line, there was one model he really wanted to make but the rights belonged to another company.

Back in 1988, Bill worked with Scott Branche and myself at Enertek in Phoenix.
After the announcement of the initial Enertek product line several hobby distributors/vendors told the Enertek management that while the big mid-power kits were nice 'real' model rocketry was in smaller kits i.e. Estes.

Bill tasked Scott and I with coming up with a line of smaller kits which would fly on nothing bigger than a 18mm 'D' motor.

Scott and I discussed this assignment. Scott designed around twelve new models and we presented them to Bill.
Bill wasn't impressed with our presentation but some of the model ideas were darn good.
One was an updated version of the Centuri Orion kit which would be called Ironman.
Enertek soon after closed up shop and the assets were bought and became part of AeroTech/ISP.

Bill really liked the Ironman kit design but AeroTech now owned the rights to it.
Bill spoke with the AeroTech/ISP management and received permission to manufacture the Ironman model.

...And the rest is history. ;)

5x7 04-01-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
The MRC Concept II product line was a re-boot of the original MRC rocket line which did not perform as well as expected.

Bill Stine was hired to revamp the whole product line and CONCEPT II was the result.

As Bill was designing kits for the Concept II line, there was one model he really wanted to make but the rights belonged to another company.

Back in 1988, Bill worked with Scott Branche and myself at Enertek in Phoenix.
After the announcement of the initial Enertek product line several hobby distributors/vendors told the Enertek management that while the big mid-power kits were nice 'real' model rocketry was in smaller kits i.e. Estes.

Bill tasked Scott and I with coming up with a line of smaller kits which would fly on nothing bigger than a 18mm 'D' motor.

Scott and I discussed this assignment. Scott designed around twelve new models and we presented them to Bill.
Bill wasn't impressed with our presentation but some of the model ideas were darn good.
One was an updated version of the Centuri Orion kit which would be called Ironman.
Enertek soon after closed up shop and the assets were bought and became part of AeroTech/ISP.

Bill really liked the Ironman kit design but AeroTech now owned the rights to it.
Bill spoke with the AeroTech/ISP management and received permission to manufacture the Ironman model.

...And the rest is history. ;)

That’s really awesome, I love the way some Enertek designs worked their way into other incarnations, your initiator being the most obvious, the Strong Arm, Arcas and the Quest Striker AGM. I had no idea the Iron Man (Which I built when it was released) had Enertek lineage. I am waiting for a box of parts from Estes which will allow me to clone some of the 2.5 and 2” Enertek designs which were all really nice.

Earl 05-01-2020 09:55 AM

Ok, here's your Ironman kit on ebay. Listed yesterday.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MRC-Concep...AAOSwRIleq3p U

Not my listing nor do I know the lister.

Earl

joltinjoecanada 05-01-2020 05:07 PM

Those MRC Concept II kits were great! Well thought out with nice optional features and high quality parts. The Iron Man kit was a favorite of mine and I built one a few years ago. Still unpainted. But today all of the kits in this line go for big bucks, more than I'm willing to pay, especially when I have to pay USPS as well. Now, if I could get another Iron Man and avoid paying postage, I'd pay a pretty good price.

joltinjoecanada 05-01-2020 05:11 PM

Does anyone have any of the MRC Tracker engines that they could post a photo of here in this thread?

SEL 05-01-2020 08:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joltinjoecanada
Does anyone have any of the MRC Tracker engines that they could post a photo of here in this thread?

These are the MRC Tracker Motors. MRC also had - and I forget what they were called - motors that only produced a thick white smoke (maybe they were called 'smokers'?) that were ignited 5-10 seconds before the standard motors were ignited. I never used them or saw them in action - maybe someone here can fill in the details. I believe MRC sold a special Launch Controller that had 2 launch buttons and 4 leads to handle the motors.

Sean

Earl 05-01-2020 08:29 PM

I think the smaller smoking motors were called FX motors if I am not mistaken. And you are right about the special controller to light them before actual rocket liftoff. I have one of the controllers, pads, and a pack of the FX motors, but have never used them before. Was gonna use them when I built one of the Concept II kits that use them.

Earl

joltinjoecanada 05-01-2020 08:31 PM

Sean, thanks for your post. Have you ever actually used one of the Tracker motors?

SEL 05-01-2020 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I think the smaller smoking motors were called FX motors if I am not mistaken. And you are right about the special controller to light them before actual rocket liftoff. I have one of the controllers, pads, and a pack of the FX motors, but have never used them before. Was gonna use them when I built one of the Concept II kits that use them.

Earl

Yes!! FX motors is correct. I was too lazy to dig out my Trail Blazer kit to check. See the diagram below.
I bought this kit from Kevin at Countdown Hobbies way back when. Got it on the cheap because it's missing the lower fins.(if anyone out there has a spare set, PM me).

SEL 05-01-2020 08:38 PM

Quote:
Sean, thanks for your post. Have you ever actually used one of the Tracker motors?

No, I haven't used them. I bought these from a fellow member at a CMASS club launch, but never got around to using them.

Royatl 05-01-2020 09:28 PM

Quote:

Joe, they were just the regular German-made MRC motors with a black label slapped on them and the nozzle-like igniter holder (predated Estes' plugs by a year or so)

Royatl 05-01-2020 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
These are the MRC Tracker Motors. MRC also had - and I forget what they were called - motors that only produced a thick white smoke (maybe they were called 'smokers'?) that were ignited 5-10 seconds before the standard motors were ignited. I never used them or saw them in action - maybe someone here can fill in the details. I believe MRC sold a special Launch Controller that had 2 launch buttons and 4 leads to handle the motors.

Sean

The FX motors were a bit hit-and-miss. Sometimes they would work, sometimes they would fizzle, and sometimes they did their version of cato -- just spit themselves onto the ground, smouldering. I'm about to post some video (on the royatlvideo YouTube channel) of the 1991 ECRM contest in Middletown, MD. There's a Saturn V being flown with them. First attempt, the owner calls a hold at 'one' because the LCO didn't fire the FXs. Then the next attempt is shown with both (? not sure how many there were) FXs spitting. Out of the three packs I bought, I only had 2 FX successes, though in one case, the main engine didn't fire!

Initiator001 05-01-2020 09:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The MRC FX motors were just very small smoke cartridges that the modeler could ignite before the rocket launched to give the effect of pre-liftoff smoke.

The actual smoke produced was thin and wispy and could be hard to see.
A neat idea that added 'play value' to the product but not that noticeable.

tbzep 05-01-2020 09:51 PM

You can make much better smoke with ping pong balls or a 3:2 ratio of KNO3 and sugar in an old motor casing. ;)

5x7 05-02-2020 09:51 AM

Although the designs of the Concept II are really nice, The exchangeable mount could become a problem. The three different motor mounts use a single plastic centering ring with two slots that let small tabs pass through, then twist to lock. After a few flights the plastic ring would start to deform, making removal and installation difficult. In retrospect I think if wadding was packed around the mount before installing it might have prevented the problems.