Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   sad day (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=9500)

jeffyjeep 06-23-2011 07:08 PM

A helpful poem is "The Rainbow Bridge." It's a little bit cheesy, but I found it helpful when I lost my old kitty to cancer two years ago.

Bill 06-23-2011 10:01 PM

My sympathies. They do become part of the family.

Bill

scigs30 06-23-2011 10:03 PM

Losing a close companion is tough and nobody wants to go through it. All I know is that my dogs Carl and Lucy have been given the best life ever, heck they live better than most people I know. So somehow in my heart I have convinced my self that if they live 5 years or 20 years it does not matter each and everyday is special. If I could, I would give every dog a special life. My family prays for you loved one Snuggles, He will be in our hearts and prayers and give him a good petting for us.

Feyd 06-23-2011 11:00 PM

My first dog as a kid was a collie/husky/shepherd mix named "Dutchess." My brother found her on his paper route, and for many years she kept him, then another brother, then me, then my younger brother company on that same paper route. When I took it over from my brother, Dutchess taught me all of the shortcuts. I used to run cross-country in high school, and I would run my paper route for practice in the evenings. Of course, Dutchess went along. She knew all of the dead-end streets and would wait for me at the head of each one as I ran out and then back. I can only imagine what she was thinking. She saved me from a vicious German Shepherd one day - a dog twice her size. She took him on and bit a hole in his ear. That dog never bothered us again. She was hit by a car on that same paper route with my younger brother and broke her spine. Putting her down was the only choice, but boy it was hard.

Now as an adult, I've had a cat die of heart failure, and another cat (17 years old) die of old age. We have an Australian Shepherd named "Dee Dee" who is at least 16 years old and has lived a king dog's life but is now having issues with her rear legs. I fear she won't make it too much longer unfortunately. We've had her since she was a puppy and she has literally traveled the country with us. Sometimes I think the car is her second home. She has more friends than we do! Everywhere we go with the horses people always ask about Dee Dee first. It'll be a terrible day when we have to let her go.

My wife used to carry Dee Dee around in the front of her coat at horse shows and Dee Dee would stick her head out and observe life go by. She's been around people and horses her entire life. She knows not to go in the street without permission (it was funny when I'd throw the frisbee a little too hard - she knew it was going in the street and she'd immediately sit down and give me that "yeah right, you go get it" look), doesn't leave the yard without one of us, and used to be a great guard dog. Don't know what she'd do now since she doesn't see very well and can't hear much. She was uber-protective of my wife and anyone's kids (we don't have any ourselves) and would go at people with teeth bared if she though anyone close to her was going to get hurt. As far as I know she never bit anyone on purpose though. She was also great at "herding" me and my wife as we'd exercise her at rest stops on our frequent road trips.

Mark Levin (radio talk show host) wrote a very good book about losing a pet called "Rescuing Sprite". I've never read it but I don't think I've ever heard anyone (other than hard-core lefties that just can't stand Mark because he's a conservative) say anything bad about it. Every now and then he'll get a caller to his show that has read the book after losing a pet and they all say it helped them in their time of grief.

Thoughts and prayers your way.

- Dale

CPMcGraw 06-24-2011 07:50 AM

It's been three years since the loss of our Black Lab, Dixie Belle, and I still get a little emotional about it. We had just lost a Rottweiler pup (less than a year old, named Rocky) to his over-active curiosity - he swallowed a tree frog and died of complete organ shutdown in 24 hours - and we were advised to "get another dog quickly to fill the emotional gap". We did, hesitantly, by driving down to the city pound.

Just that morning, a boatload of about 14 black lab pups had been dropped off. Most of the pups were oblivious to their circumstances, and paid us little to no attention as we walked around. All but one...

There was this one female pup with white feet and a thin sliver of white fur on her belly that took notice of us, and she kept hanging around our feet. When we walked around, she followed us everywhere. When we would stop for a moment, she would politely sit down and raise one of her paws to us. Even when we pretended not to pay her any attention, she insisted we take notice. :D

She was determined to "take us home" as her new family, and she succeeded! You could not have asked for a more family-friendly pet, one so willing to give unconditional love. She was a member of our family for nearly 14 years.

As many large-breeds do, she developed tumors. It was very hard to make that last drive home from the vet without her.

the mole 06-24-2011 08:45 AM

~If It Should Be~

If it be I grow fail and weak,

and pain should wake me from my sleep,

then you must do what must be done,

for this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand,

don't let your grief then stay your hand,

for this day, more than the rest,

your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,

what is to come will have no fears;

you'd not want me to suffer ... so,

when the time comes .... please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,

but stay with me until the end,

and hold me firm, and speak to me,

until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time, you, too, will see,

it is the kindness you do for me;

although my tail is last waved,

from pain and suffering I've been saved.

Do not grieve that it should be you,

who must decide this thing to do.

We've been so close - we two these years -

don't let your heart hold any tears.

---Anonymous

-------------------------------------------------

snuggles 06-24-2011 02:26 PM

update

Snuggles slept pretty good last night.We got up about 0200so we could pee.He came back in the house and gave me ..........a..........look.that told me what we needed to do.We called the vet :eks making a house call. Snuggles and Deb and I are enjoying the sunshine..I gotta tell you though.....my heart actually aches for him.Snuggles has always been and forever will be my friend.

jeffyjeep 06-24-2011 02:47 PM

Peaceful rest to you, Snuggles.

snuggles 06-24-2011 04:33 PM

sad day

My beloved pup Snuggles has crossed the Rainbow Bridge now. He did not go alone because he took big pieces of Deb's and my heart with him. My Mom is on the other side and will take care of him till we get there.
Thanks to ALL of you for your support during this very difficult time

mperdue 06-24-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggles
Snuggles slept pretty good last night.We got up about 0200so we could pee.He came back in the house and gave me ..........a..........look.that told me what we needed to do.We called the vet :eks making a house call. Snuggles and Deb and I are enjoying the sunshine..I gotta tell you though.....my heart actually aches for him.Snuggles has always been and forever will be my friend.

I know that look far too well.

Rest in peace, Snuggles.

Mario