Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Finally - Three new kits and a booster (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=12314)

Initiator001 04-04-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Order in! Not that I need any more kits....but since I'm going to NSL, I need to do that Centurion F - so as to have something to try out the new Estes 29mm BP motors in. .

While the Centurion-F is the first Semroc kit to list the new Estes 29mm BP motors for use, I think several of the SLS series models (Aero-Dart, Hustler) would be a better choice due to their mass and lower altitudes they would reach (Could be flown in smaller fields).

Of course, the E16 and F15 motors recall Mini-Max motors Centuri sold so why not fly them in Mini-Max models. ;)

ghrocketman 04-04-2013 02:48 PM

I'm going to pick up a few of the new Estes motors to use in my Hustler, both versions of Aero Dart, Explorer, and Lil'Hustler just for the nostalgia factor of flying them like the originals. None of them have flown on anything but 24 and 29mm RMS reloads ecept the Semroc Aero Dart which flew once on an E9-6. May even try one of the new 29mm F's in my Enerjet Athena Clone.

I don't think I will be brave enough to ever try any 29mm ANYTHING in my Jaguar or Scorpion.

stefanj 04-04-2013 03:23 PM

The new 29mm Estes motors are closer to the Mini-Max EB line, rather than the rip-roaring port burners.

I don't doubt they'll lift a well built Hustler, but if you are looking for a close match, you'd fly the E16 and F15 in the Jaguar, Scorpion, and Explorer.

I've flown an Explorer on an E9, and it was awesome!

BEC 04-04-2013 04:20 PM

Good comments. I will also be bringing an SLS Aero Dart to NSL with both a 24 and 29mm mount. It is now at the decal-installation stage. In the same order as the Centurion F I have an SLS Hustler coming as well...but that may not get done in time as the Centurion F (and one of the Starship Excaliburs) will get built before it.

BEC 04-04-2013 11:29 PM

And a white box (not brown) containing Starship Excalibur #15 (and another one), plus Maxi-Micron #8 and Centurion-F #8 arrived today. :) The weather this weekend is forecast to be wet and windy - time to get started on a couple of them.

johnnwwa 04-05-2013 01:17 AM

And a brown box arrived today with Starship Excalibur #10. The post office tried to bash the brown box but contents was in perfect condition :)

I can see lots of filling and sanding in my future.

ghrocketman 04-05-2013 10:26 AM

I have a buddy that works at one of the Major shipping companies and he says they take great relish in having a fun time performing 'deliberate destructive durability' testing on boxes of goods a few times a month.

stefanj 04-05-2013 11:48 AM

Well . . . against my better judgement, I bought one each of the new kits, plus a few small parts I needed.

Or should say, "will buy" as soon as PayPal finishes processing the transfer order.

kurtschachner 04-05-2013 01:07 PM

Those employees should be fired on the spot. If I was their manager that is exactly what I would advocate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I have a buddy that works at one of the Major shipping companies and he says they take great relish in having a fun time performing 'deliberate destructive durability' testing on boxes of goods a few times a month.

Initiator001 04-05-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
The new 29mm Estes motors are closer to the Mini-Max EB line, rather than the rip-roaring port burners.

I don't doubt they'll lift a well built Hustler, but if you are looking for a close match, you'd fly the E16 and F15 in the Jaguar, Scorpion, and Explorer.

I've flown an Explorer on an E9, and it was awesome!

John Boren has commented that the new Estes F15 motor has lifted models up to 17 ounces in weight/mass. He has used the motor in all the Estes Pro Series II kits except for the Mega Maxx.

I may have to test this out. ;)