Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Wanted: Dead or Alive! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   WANTED: Scans of the Estes Pro Series Impulse (2064) (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15169)

K'Tesh 06-20-2015 08:42 AM

WANTED: Scans of the Estes Pro Series Impulse (2064)

The Estes Pro Series Impulse (2064) is not your average Estes 4FNC rocket. It featured an unusual shock cord mounting system (which it also shared with the Pro Series Patriot (2066)), and a dual cluster motor arrangement that isn't very common for them.

I've looked, and JimZ's got nothing on it, nor does YORP. It's time to fix that.

I'm looking for scans of the instructions as well as the fins (w/ruler please). It wouldn't hurt to get some of those centering rings either.

Thanks!
Jim

K'Tesh 06-22-2015 04:24 PM

Anyone? Anyone?

luke strawwalker 06-22-2015 07:12 PM

I'm not sure it's in proper taste to ask for the instructions and measurements for a kit that's still in production... it would give the appearance that one advocates cloning it rather than buying the thing from the manufacturer, as one should do with a current-production kit...

If it's out of production, then disregard, this doesn't apply... ;)

As for the "weird shock cord mounting system", it's just a variation of the "moon baffle" design with the screw eye through the top piece of (probably) plywood... basically just plywood centering rings with a partial circle "bite" out of either side... 2-3 of them stacked up on top of each other staggered, each one clocked a 120 degrees apart from the last one, most likely... At least that's what it looks like...

Design wise, it looks like an upscaled "Vigilante"... just without the extra stage...

Later! OL JR :)

aeppel_cpm 06-22-2015 07:38 PM

It's a bit like the Vig, but I think it looks a bit short for the diameter. And the fins are just a bit more swept aft.

Ltvscout 06-22-2015 07:38 PM

The Impulse is probably 15 years or more out of production.

K'Tesh 06-22-2015 11:10 PM

The kit was introduced in 1992, and made its last appearance in the 1996 catalog.

luke strawwalker 06-23-2015 01:39 PM

Oh okay... Somehow thought that one was newer than that... My bad...

Still think the design is basically an upscaled vigilante...

Later! OL JR

K'Tesh 06-23-2015 02:03 PM

But the Vigilante was a two stage (single engine per stage) rocket. This is a single stage two engine cluster rocket.

BTW, the shock cord mount is not part of a baffle, but with one or two additional "plates" it could.

tbzep 06-23-2015 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Oh okay... Somehow thought that one was newer than that... My bad...

Still think the design is basically an upscaled vigilante...

Later! OL JR

In addition to being a two stager, the Vigilante used the PNC-55AO, which has a different shape than the Impulse. I wouldn't call it an upscale. I'd just call it a plain old 4FNC mid power rocket with a few internal changes from the norm.

K'Tesh 06-23-2015 02:11 PM

IINM, the nosecone is the same as the Partizon, it's the body tube length(s) and fin geometry that is the real issue. I think I could "fake" the rest of it using what I know from the Pro Patriot and the Maxi-Force.