Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Plans & Publications (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   "topics In Advanced Model Rocketry" - Book ! ! ! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18900)

Ez2cDave 10-06-2020 01:13 AM

"topics In Advanced Model Rocketry" - Book ! ! !

Well, I guess it's time to "let the cat out of the bag", regarding "Topics In Advanced Model Rocketry".

I have been in contact with Gordon Mandell, since last year. He has been in contact with Bengen & Caporaso.

To make a long story short, the three of them contacted M.I.T. and reclaimed their Copyright of the book. M.I.T. no longer has publication rights.

With that said, all three of them have granted me, in writing, sole permission to duplicate the book, in its entirety, for the purpose of distribution in the Public Domain, FREE OF CHARGE . . . Say goodbye to $500 books !

Unfortunately, COVID-19 put the project on hold, until recently. I recontacted the company I am going to use to have the book professionally duplicated, in electronic format. The cost was, surprisingly, low to get this done, considering that the books has over 650 pages.

Once I have completed the process, it will be distributed to various online sources to make it widely available to anyone who would like a copy.

Dave F

Blushingmule 10-06-2020 08:57 AM

Dave,

Thumbs up thingie pressed ;)

Bob

Gus 10-06-2020 09:43 AM

Dave,

Congratulations! Very worthwhile and nice thing to do!

Steve

jetlag 10-06-2020 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Dave,

Congratulations! Very worthwhile and nice thing to do!

Steve

Why I love this group! Such unselfish and helpful folks!
Many thanks!

Allen

Ez2cDave 10-06-2020 11:43 AM

5 Attachment(s)
To All,

My goal is to make information readily available to everyone, without "hoarding" or "price gouging".

Right now, this copy is on eBay for $ 575.00 . . . Originally, it sold for $25.00, in 1973.

They better hope they find a "sucker", before "Topics In Advanced Model Rocketry" is FREE, for everyone ! Notice in one pic that they got the book for $5.00, apparently , in a used book store !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Topics-in-...on/303707292847

The men in the photo's below, in order, are Gordon Mandell, George Caporaso, & William Bengen.

Rocketry, to me, is a "Brotherhood" (I started in the "Space Race" era and we were like "Mini-NASA" in our club) . . . It is not that, to all Rocketeers, however, unfortunately !

Dave F.

rocketguy101 10-06-2020 12:23 PM

Fantastic! I have a paperback copy from MIT. It came with an "errata" sheet. Do you have that? I can post a copy when I get home.

Royatl 10-06-2020 01:06 PM

I got the hardback version with dust cover, about 15 years back on eBay for $100. Assuming equations will be properly typeset?? That would be wonderful.

Ez2cDave 10-06-2020 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketguy101
Fantastic! I have a paperback copy from MIT. It came with an "errata" sheet. Do you have that? I can post a copy when I get home.

I do have an "errata sheet", but I would like to compare it with the one you have. Please post it !

Dave F.

rocketguy101 10-06-2020 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
I do have an "errata sheet", but I would like to compare it with the one you have. Please post it !

Dave F.

here 'tis

Ez2cDave 10-06-2020 07:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:
here 'tis

Thanks,

Actually, I have two different errata sheets.

The first one is the original one that came with the book, back in 1973.

The second one is the one that came with the paperback edition, identical to yours.

Both errata sheets contain the same information, but the later version, from the paperback book, illustrates the changes much more clearly.

The last image is the letter granting me sole permission to scan the book and put it into the Public Domain ( addresses redacted ).

Thanks !

Dave F.

shockwaveriderz 11-02-2020 06:14 PM

Dave: I actually went through at least 3 original copies of that book between when it was first published and ????? I forget...... The first one had numerous passages underlined and highlighted as I studied it literally for years . I actually got to the point where most of it made sense.

Gus 11-02-2020 06:18 PM

Terry,

Holy Cow! It's great to hear from you again. I've really missed your input here. I hope all is well.

Steve

shockwaveriderz 11-02-2020 06:42 PM

hey Steve LTNS ......didn't mean to shock you.... thanks....
I got a lot of stuff that has been sitting on hhd, now ssd for about 10 years. Thought it was about time that I shared it here before I go die or something.

Ez2cDave 11-02-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
Dave: I actually went through at least 3 original copies of that book between when it was first published and ????? I forget...... The first one had numerous passages underlined and highlighted as I studied it literally for years . I actually got to the point where most of it made sense.

"Shockie" !

Great to hear from you, Man !

Dave F.

shockwaveriderz 11-03-2020 09:28 AM

thanks Dave....I certainty will be looking forward to a pdf copy of this .! Great Job!

olDave 11-03-2020 08:26 PM

Thank you, Ez2cDave

There goes another book I can get rid of from my book cases.
And it's a big one, thick and tall, and takes up a lot of space.

(Was that sort of a pun? A bad one? ....."space")

Earl 11-04-2020 09:55 PM

I have not had my hard copy out in a while...a copy that I obtained about 10 years ago. Hard bound copy, but no dust jacket.

Question for those who do have a copy: do all copies of this book feature ‘hand written’ text corrections?

My copy features a number of them, some in blue ink. For example, on page 5 the corrected symbol for ‘sigma’ has been written in off to the left of the original symbol that was printed in the book, which appears to have been the symbol for delta (delta IS the symbol directly above sigma on that page; in preparing the original text it seems that symbol was written twice by mistake).

Anyway...just curious if each copy was hand corrected or whether the original owner of my copy made corrections on their own initiative.

Earl

Ez2cDave 11-05-2020 10:55 AM

Earl,

Mine has hand-written corrections, but they are "printed" and not in "blue ink". Where did you get your copy from ?

Dave F.

Earl 11-05-2020 11:58 AM

Quote:
Earl,

Mine has hand-written corrections, but they are "printed" and not in "blue ink". Where did you get your copy from ?

Dave F.

It was an eBay purchase about ten years ago. I don’t even recall what part of the country it came from.

Earl

rocketguy101 11-05-2020 05:51 PM

The MIT paperback reprint does not have the corrections written in. The errata sheet that came with the book notes the corrections.

Ez2cDave 11-05-2020 06:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:
The MIT paperback reprint does not have the corrections written in. The errata sheet that came with the book notes the corrections.

In Post #10, I posted images of the Errata Sheets, including the one from my hardback edition.

Does anyone see any differences among them ?

Here they are again . . .

Dave F.

Earl 11-05-2020 08:13 PM

Quote:

Hmmm...ok. I think maybe then the original owner of my copy may have transferred the errata info directly to the book.

Earl

Ez2cDave 11-05-2020 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Hmmm...ok. I think maybe then the original owner of my copy may have transferred the errata info directly to the book.

Earl

Earl,

Of course, with the data transferred from the Errata Sheet, directly to the pages they pertain to, that would allow things to "flow seamlessly", without having to g back to the Errata Sheet, every time to see if there were any errors on the page.

Dave F.

Rktman 12-08-2020 04:09 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess it's time to "let the cat out of the bag", regarding "Topics In Advanced Model Rocketry".

I have been in contact with Gordon Mandell, since last year. He has been in contact with Bengen & Caporaso.

To make a long story short, the three of them contacted M.I.T. and reclaimed their Copyright of the book. M.I.T. no longer has publication rights.

With that said, all three of them have granted me, in writing, sole permission to duplicate the book, in its entirety, for the purpose of distribution in the Public Domain, FREE OF CHARGE . . . Say goodbye to $500 books !

Unfortunately, COVID-19 put the project on hold, until recently. I recontacted the company I am going to use to have the book professionally duplicated, in electronic format. The cost was, surprisingly, low to get this done, considering that the books has over 650 pages.

Once I have completed the process, it will be distributed to various online sources to make it widely available to anyone who would like a copy.

Dave F

Awesometastic! Much thanks Dave.

advancingdragon 01-10-2023 11:56 AM

Quote:

Dave F

Hi Dave,

I would like to ask if there has been any progress with scanning "Topics in Advanced Model Rocketry"? Thank you.

Ez2cDave 01-12-2023 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advancingdragon
Hi Dave,

I would like to ask if there has been any progress with scanning "Topics in Advanced Model Rocketry"? Thank you.

Things have been very difficult for the past few months, culminating in the death of my father, at age 94, a few days ago . . . The thoughts & prayers of my fellow rocketeers are extremely welcome.

As for TIAMR, it WILL be scanned and made available, FREE OF CHARGE, to all rocketeers. I will be contacting Scott, as soon as I have gotten that completed.

My world is upside-down, right now . . . BUT, this is going to happen !

My father's death has put my own life in perspective for me . . . I am seeking a way to make my entire Scale Data archive ( 430 GB, at present ) fully-available, at ZERO COST, to rocketeers, everywhere. Perhaps, it will, ultimately, be my "legacy" to Model Rocketry.

Dave F.

advancingdragon 01-12-2023 10:40 PM

Quote:
Things have been very difficult for the past few months, culminating in the death of my father, at age 94, a few days ago . . . The thoughts & prayers of my fellow rocketeers are extremely welcome.

As for TIAMR, it WILL be scanned and made available, FREE OF CHARGE, to all rocketeers. I will be contacting Scott, as soon as I have gotten that completed.

My world is upside-down, right now . . . BUT, this is going to happen !

My father's death has put my own life in perspective for me . . . I am seeking a way to make my entire Scale Data archive ( 430 GB, at present ) fully-available, at ZERO COST, to rocketeers, everywhere. Perhaps, it will, ultimately, be my "legacy" to Model Rocketry.

Dave F.

My sincerest condolences to you and your family at this difficult time. Thank you so much for taking your time to make this book and your Scale Data archive available to the model rocketry community.

Long N.

BEC 01-12-2023 11:33 PM

Oh goodness, Dave, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm pretty lousy at following through on offers to pray for folks, but I will give it a shot.

My father will be 94 in mid-April. He's still living at home (with my youngest brother, who is in his early 50s) but I know the time is coming....someday.

Ltvscout 01-13-2023 09:42 AM

I'm very sorry to learn of your dad's passing, Dave. My condolences to you and your family. I lost my dad when he was 59 in a car accident. I'm now a year older than him when he died. I still miss him every day.

Ez2cDave 01-14-2023 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I'm very sorry to learn of your dad's passing, Dave. My condolences to you and your family. I lost my dad when he was 59 in a car accident. I'm now a year older than him when he died. I still miss him every day.

Scott,

God bless you and all of the others who have expressed their feelings and condolences to me.
They are greatly appreciated and mean more to me than anyone will ever know !

I need to talk with you about my Scale Data archive ( 430 GB ) . . . Please shoot me an email.

Ez2cDave@aol.com

Thanks,

Dave F.

Ez2cDave 01-14-2023 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Oh goodness, Dave, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm pretty lousy at following through on offers to pray for folks, but I will give it a shot.

My father will be 94 in mid-April. He's still living at home (with my youngest brother, who is in his early 50s) but I know the time is coming....someday.

When you pray, please include yourself in your prayer. Remember that prayers don't have to be "flowery" & fancy, but they need to come from the heart.

My Dad's birthday was April 14 . . . He would have turned 95. He lived with my wife and me, so we were together every day. Cherish the time you have, because the end often comes with no warning !

Dave F.

Ez2cDave 01-14-2023 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advancingdragon
My sincerest condolences to you and your family at this difficult time. Thank you so much for taking your time to make this book and your Scale Data archive available to the model rocketry community.

Long N.

Thank you, Long.

Your words are comforting and greatly appreciated.

Dave F.

Docfin 12-31-2023 06:05 PM

Has ?topics for advanced model rocketry ? been made digitally available yet?
Thank you.

shockwaveriderz 01-10-2024 09:16 PM

Well all be dead by the time this gets done.
I went and bought the MIT paperback edition