Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Virtual NARCON (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=19071)

GuyNoir 12-04-2020 10:53 AM

Virtual NARCON

For those who may not of seen it yet, NARCON 2021 will be virtual.

https://www.nar.org/narcon-2021/

Here's your opportunity to "attend" without having to travel! :)

A Fish Named Wallyum 12-04-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNoir
For those who may not of seen it yet, NARCON 2021 will be virtual.

https://www.nar.org/narcon-2021/

Here's your opportunity to "attend" without having to travel! :)

Solo beerlofting is what got me in trouble in my 20's. :o

Earl 12-04-2020 12:02 PM

Looks like Bernard Cawley (BEC here) will be one of the presenters. Altimeters maybe?

Looks like a good opportunity to attend a NARCON...never been to one.

Earl

A Fish Named Wallyum 12-04-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Looks like Bernard Cawley (BEC here) will be one of the presenters. Altimeters maybe?

Looks like a good opportunity to attend a NARCON...never been to one.

Earl

Been to two. Better than NARAM. :cool:

BEC 12-04-2020 12:30 PM

Yep - altimeters. What else? :)

Specifically altimeters for and in NRC events. Let me know if there is something in particular you would like me to cover or show as my talk is still in the rough outline stage.

rocket.aero 12-04-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

Agreed. I've never crashed a rocket at NARCON, and everyone seems to smell better. <G>

James

Earl 12-04-2020 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Yep - altimeters. What else? :)

Specifically altimeters for and in NRC events. Let me know if there is something in particular you would like me to cover or show as my talk is still in the rough outline stage.

I'm sure you will cover it and I suspect any altimeter purchased would talk about this, but the size ports needed to ensure proper and accurate sampling and just how the altimeter should be mounted too to ensure same.

And of course any of the 'extra' little 'best tricks of the trade' that only come from flying altimeters quite a bit. I've never even flown one. :(

Earl

A Fish Named Wallyum 12-04-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.aero
Agreed. I've never crashed a rocket at NARCON, and everyone seems to smell better. <G>

James

:chuckle:

BEC 12-04-2020 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I'm sure you will cover it and I suspect any altimeter purchased would talk about this, but the size ports needed to ensure proper and accurate sampling and just how the altimeter should be mounted too to ensure same.

I do intend to spend quite a bit more time on installation considerations including both of those points than the usual article seems to, including mine in the 2020 NAR Member Guidebook.

Quote:
And of course any of the 'extra' little 'best tricks of the trade' that only come from flying altimeters quite a bit. I've never even flown one. :(

Earl

I’ve been thinking about how, in the virtual environment, to present some of that sort of thing. There has to be something better than just having you look at a static picture on a slide on a screen.

tbzep 12-04-2020 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
There has to be something better than just having you look at a static picture
Even if it's a static port? :D

snaquin 12-04-2020 06:38 PM

I’m looking forward to this I need to block off 1/2 day vacation for that Friday afternoon :)

I made my first NARAM with the successful Virtual NARAM so tee up NARCON ... this will be my first NARCON too :cool:

snaquin 12-04-2020 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I do intend to spend quite a bit more time on installation considerations including both of those points than the usual article seems to, including mine in the 2020 NAR Member Guidebook.

I’ve been thinking about how, in the virtual environment, to present some of that sort of thing. There has to be something better than just having you look at a static picture on a slide on a screen.

I have to say if not for your detailed reporting on your many successful AstroCam flights with your FS MINI onboard I wouldn’t have even known about that company to make the purchase. I had never heard of FlightSketch before you mentioned them. I liked the FS MINI so much I waited patiently for the restock email and bought a second one :D

I especially like that flights and pictures can be posted to their website, very cool and what a great feature :cool:

https://flightsketch.com/flights/1343/

https://flightsketch.com/flights/1342/

Please touch on this awesome, affordable and yet very simple Bluetooth altimeter! I can’t wait for the release of some of their other planned products.

;)

BEC 12-04-2020 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Please touch on this awesome, affordable and yet very simple Bluetooth altimeter! I can’t wait for the release of some of their other planned products.

;)

I have been flying them since the betas over a year ago, and I will certainly have to say something about the Mini, and also the upcoming Comp (as I have been flying a prototype). BUT....I was asked to focus on altimeters for the National Rocketry Competition events and the FS devices are not yet accepted for contest use by the NAR. I have been working with Russ (the man behind FlightSketch) and with the NAR contest board chairman to facilitate that wherever I could, but at the moment the ball is in Russ' court (and he has real life, job, kids and COVID complications in same to deal with along with working on FlightSketch stuff and running his web store). I won't go into details here about why it's not yet contest accepted, but there is still some work to do on the on-board software to get it there.

That said, the majority of the time it does a wonderful job and the price/feature combination is simply unbeatable. For sport flying it is great as is, though I recommend one look at the graph of the flight and not just the summarized data.

snaquin 12-05-2020 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I have been flying them since the betas over a year ago, and I will certainly have to say something about the Mini, and also the upcoming Comp (as I have been flying a prototype). BUT....I was asked to focus on altimeters for the National Rocketry Competition events and the FS devices are not yet accepted for contest use by the NAR. I have been working with Russ (the man behind FlightSketch) and with the NAR contest board chairman to facilitate that wherever I could, but at the moment the ball is in Russ' court (and he has real life, job, kids and COVID complications in same to deal with along with working on FlightSketch stuff and running his web store). I won't go into details here about why it's not yet contest accepted, but there is still some work to do on the on-board software to get it there.

That said, the majority of the time it does a wonderful job and the price/feature combination is simply unbeatable. For sport flying it is great as is, though I recommend one look at the graph of the flight and not just the summarized data.

I got my Virtual NARCON ticket last night and I have your session marked as attending :)
Looking forward to it Bernard!
It’s cool you are working with Russ. I hope he is very successful with his FlightSketch line of products and can get contest acceptance. I plan to fly mine again when our field reopens in the spring.

Ltvscout 12-06-2020 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

Good times!

BEC 01-05-2021 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Even if it's a static port? :D

Maybe you're right. :)

Anyone else have a suggestion? I'm working on this presentation currently.

5x7 01-05-2021 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Maybe you're right. :)

Anyone else have a suggestion? I'm working on this presentation currently.

Keep it clean and stay sober? Always good advise I think. :)

shockwaveriderz 01-05-2021 08:42 PM

I just bought a FS Mini because it fits in really small spaces.

I can't wait to get one if their FS Comp.

Terry

Don Altschwager 01-28-2021 04:46 PM

Just wondering, how many Ye Olde Rocket Forum regulars are planning on attending?

Have my ticket and agenda all planned. The drive will be short this year; just have to go downstairs.....

Scott_650 01-28-2021 05:01 PM

Signed up this morning - since it’s not looking good for a launch Saturday I’ll be “at” the convention all day.

ghrocketman 01-28-2021 11:50 PM

Attending a convention of any sort in a sober condition sounds lousy.
Bring single malt Scotch. Macallan 25 is superb.

Initiator001 01-28-2021 11:54 PM

I will be host of the Manufacturers' Forum Friday night. ;)

BEC 01-29-2021 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
By chance have you been beta testing the new FS Sport? If so, could you talk about it at the vNarcon?

Sorry, no. I have been flying a prototype FS Comp for some time, but have not tried the Sport (or any other deployment altimeter).

I REALLY wish the SST would reach flyable before NSL....but considering all else that's going on in the world, I'm not going to hold my breath for either the Sport or NSL this year.

Ltvscout 01-29-2021 08:16 AM

Will anyone here be attending the social hours tonight or Saturday or the virtual beer loft on Saturday? That's through Zoom and doesn't appear you need to buy a ticket since the Zoom ID and password are listed on the NARCON site.

A Fish Named Wallyum 01-29-2021 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Will anyone here be attending the social hours tonight or Saturday or the virtual beer loft on Saturday? That's through Zoom and doesn't appear you need to buy a ticket since the Zoom ID and password are listed on the NARCON site.

Car shopping looks to be filling my weekend, so I doubt I'll have the chance to do either. You know I love a good beer lofting. :rolleyes: :cool:

snaquin 01-29-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:
I’m going to try to make the Virtual Beer Loft on Saturday. I definitely have the tour of LOC Precision, Manufacturers Forum and tour of Estes Industries on my must see list :D

snaquin 01-29-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
I will be host of the Manufacturers' Forum Friday night. ;)
Looking forward to this Bob!

Scott_650 01-29-2021 12:00 PM

I opened up the event to make sure everything was ok just in time to hear the board vote to make all issues other than the current one of Sport Rocketry available online.

Ltvscout 01-29-2021 06:44 PM

Can someone that saw the manufacturers forum list the highlights here for us?

rocket.aero 01-29-2021 06:47 PM

Quote:
Can someone that saw the manufacturers forum list the highlights here for us?

Hasn't taken place yet, starts in about 45 mins.

It's not too late to register!

James

Ltvscout 01-29-2021 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.aero
Hasn't taken place yet, starts in about 45 mins.

It's not too late to register!

James

I'm on vaca down on Fort Myers Beach. Just got back from drinking up during Happy Hour. I may not make it that long. :chuckle:

Scott_650 01-29-2021 08:26 PM

Estes - next bring back is an upsized Orbital Transport, Mars Snooper and ANTAR are enroute, new starters released early spring, strong hint/teaser on licensed products from actual aerospace companies, new Space Force kit that resembles the old Centuri X-24 - not a glider, C5-0 is coming - not this year along with higher impulse booster motors, Hobby Lobby unique designs are being swapped out Feb/Mar - will include the Mars Leaper.

A Fish Named Wallyum 01-29-2021 08:32 PM

Sounds great! :cool: Thanks for the update.

Scott_650 01-29-2021 08:38 PM

North Coast - 24mm powered Argo Javelin - smaller/cheaper, Big Daddy-ish Scorch kit using body wraps - pseudo military style, tail cone style motor retainer - compatible with Estes screw on retainer, bring back of the 2.6” Corporal, printed catalog coming soon, 4” kits coming - 29mm powered (including the Quasar, Phantom, Big Brute), r/c version of the F-117, Interceptor G is possible, eventually.

Scott_650 01-29-2021 08:40 PM

Estes catalog - coming early February. If you ordered from Estes website in last 6 months you’ll get one in the mail.

Scott_650 01-29-2021 08:44 PM

ASP - 13mm Black Brant 3, Aerobee 150 1.9” optional parts for different versions included, more MMX kits coming - all scale kits, another 24mm scale kit coming - later this year - more details as we get closer to release.

Scott_650 01-29-2021 09:03 PM

Apogee - GPS controlled chute still in-work but it is coming, new module in RockSim Pro - Launch Visualizer - 3D animated Google Earth-like simulation of rocket flight/recovery, eventually Visualizer will be on website and will run sim files independent of RS, v10 of RS out shortly.

Scott_650 01-29-2021 09:09 PM

IMPLS Launch System - owner Thomas Kindig pretty much gave a briefing on his really slick looking and operating launch rack and controller consoles. I won’t repeat it here the info is on the website https://www.implslaunch.com.

Scott_650 01-29-2021 09:39 PM

Aerotech/Quest - F52C Enerjet 66.2 N-sec, 1.3 sec burn time, USPS mailable, 5-8-12 delays, mimics original exhaust, updated old style Enerjet graphics, Spring release, 29mm G8/12ST long burn/end burner motors, 130/144 N-sec, plugged only, Spring release too, three new/bring backs from Quest - Sport, Lightning (30mm diam), Icarus (35mm diam) - 24mm with included 18mm adapters - Icarus w/wood fins the others plastic, 24x70mm D22W QJets - 19.3 N-sec, E26W QJets, 27.9 N-sec (Estes E9 equivalent) - both motors lighter than BP equivalent and both mailable, BlackMax QJets coming eventually, L and M long burn motors definite possibility, Blue Thunder QJets a definite possibility too, more reloads (Redload?) for the 29mm Hobby-line case.

turbofireball 01-29-2021 09:55 PM

I have two observations. It seemed that Randy Boadway/eRockets was slated to present stuff. What happened? Hope everything is ok.

Secondly, Estes really didn't show a lot new from the last manufacturer's forum. There was a rehash of kits already available (no discussion about the Big Red Max), a more complete Dark-1 (X24 Buglike kit), Mars Snooper upscale box (no built-up), the new Antar was shown, AstroCam by itself, new igniters (same as last time), and the new catalog. Really the only thing else announced officially was an Upscale Orbital Transport.