Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Designer's Studio (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Scrounged-Up Designs 2006 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=192)

John Brohm 05-31-2005 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Hmmm, I've never used Equation Writer, but I know that cut & pastes work in the text edit box. Try pasting the equation to Notepad first, then cutting it out of notepad and pasting into the forum.

Scott;

Notepad won't accept objects from Equation Writer either; I have no problems cutting and pasting between Word documents though. I imagine the "problem" is that the elements from Equation Writer are objects, not text.

Ltvscout 05-31-2005 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
Scott;

Notepad won't accept objects from Equation Writer either; I have no problems cutting and pasting between Word documents though. I imagine the "problem" is that the elements from Equation Writer are objects, not text.

Ah, yes, that could well be. Paste the equation into Photoshop then save it as a jpg and insert the image into the message. heh

CPMcGraw 05-31-2005 09:54 PM

Quote:
Scott;

John, can you "zip" the file and then send it to me via this forum as an attachment? I have a copy of OpenOffice 2.0 Beta (v1.9.104), and it has a math formula editor. Maybe I can open it from there...

Craig

John Brohm 05-31-2005 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Ah, yes, that could well be. Paste the equation into Photoshop then save it as a jpg and insert the image into the message. heh

Ok Scott - good point! Must be why you make the big bucks(!).

Let's try this as an attachment. In the formula, CV is the Center Void, MMT is the Body Tube diameter (OD), and n is the number of tubes.

CPMcGraw 05-31-2005 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Let's try this as an attachment. In the formula, CV is the Center Void, MMT is the Body Tube diameter (OD), and n is the number of tubes.

OpenOffice forces an additional set of square brackets around the cosine function to make it show up as purty as yours... :D

If you have a copy of OpenOffice, I've attached the file in a zip.

Did anyone ever think this forum would become THIS geeky? :eek:

Craig McGraw

CPMcGraw 05-31-2005 11:36 PM

New Plan -- Cygnus Probe

2 Attachment(s)
Another ST-10 design, to show support for Carl and SEMROC!

The tips of the main fins are supposed to have some 1/8" diameter dowels attached, 3.5" long, and pointed at the top. These are supposed to be the "landing legs" of this rocket, but I didn't include any feet. You could use some small circles of thick pressed paper board for this, but I'd leave them bare myself.

Attach them with 1" of the dowel ahead of the leading edge of the tip. The dowel is supposed to extend farther below the trailing edge of the fin tip, about 1.625"

Be sure to epoxy them to the fin tips, or they'll be the first to get knocked off in a bad landing...

Enjoy!

Craig McGraw

Ltvscout 06-01-2005 08:17 AM

Quote:

It worked! Thanks for sending that over, John.

John Brohm 06-01-2005 07:53 PM

Quote:
It worked! Thanks for sending that over, John.

No problem; but watch what happens when you plug in n=6. Ain't geometry neat?

Oh and Craig, about the Geeky thing. You are aware that this is a forum mainly frequented by middling age guys still fascinated about model rockets, right? I don't think the math stuff is our biggest issue (!)

CPMcGraw 06-01-2005 08:08 PM

Quote:
No problem; but watch what happens when you plug in n=6. Ain't geometry neat?

Oh and Craig, about the Geeky thing. You are aware that this is a forum mainly frequented by middling age guys still fascinated about model rockets, right? I don't think the math stuff is our biggest issue (!)

Touche', John. :D

My middling is a little bigger than my age, though... :eek:

Craig...

CPMcGraw 06-01-2005 08:52 PM

New Plan -- Empyria

2 Attachment(s)
The cheeks are balsa in the simulation, these probably should be hollowed out to reduce weight. The canopy should be rounded out, of course. Keep the tube length at 18" to eliminate having to add weight to the nose area.

Enjoy!

Craig...