Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Semroc Starfire (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=2384)

barone 10-29-2007 09:56 PM

I like to make as many orders as possible so I just went ahead and ordered one....besides....I needed some parts.... :D

Chas Russell 10-30-2007 08:23 AM

My younger brother built a Starfire back in '68 (we started the year before). He did a pretty good job on it considering the boat-tail. I ordered two kits so that I will have one for him, if he wants it...
Needed a couple of parts anyway...

Chas

chanstevens 11-03-2007 03:17 PM

The mailman just dropped off #9 and an non-numbered that I'll build. I had no idea about the background on this--very nice model, sweet boattail, and does look like it could be a decent competition model.

Now if only I could get a decent Semroc motor to put in it...

Chas Russell 11-03-2007 03:41 PM

Wow, Chan! I only got #10 and an unnumbered kit. I guess Sheryl likes you best!
Seriously, this was a late '60s Centuri kit (see my comment before yours). It placed in an internats contest, but I doubt that the boat-tail was the "key" factor. Still, it has been a kit on my radar, but with the queue and flying contests, it was not high on a clone list for me.
Really needs a SEMROC B4-6 motor to make it a winner...

Chas

snaquin 11-07-2007 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
..... Groonies or Grownies?

Goonybirds for Grown-ups?

:confused:

Eagle3 11-08-2007 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Wow, Chan! I only got #10 and an unnumbered kit. I guess Sheryl likes you best!
Seriously, this was a late '60s Centuri kit (see my comment before yours). It placed in an internats contest, but I doubt that the boat-tail was the "key" factor. Still, it has been a kit on my radar, but with the queue and flying contests, it was not high on a clone list for me.
Really needs a SEMROC B4-6 motor to make it a winner...

Chas

#8 guys. Mom loves me best. ;)

Carl, are you talking SLS Goonies with 29mm mtr mounts?

Buzz

Chas Russell 11-08-2007 10:30 AM

Buzz buzzed in to taunt:

"#8 guys. Mom loves me best. "

Actually, it seems that Sheryl loves whoever got #6 and #7 better than the rest of us.
Bummer.

Chas

Carl@Semroc 11-08-2007 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Goonybirds for Grown-ups?

:confused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
#8 guys. Mom loves me best. ;)

Carl, are you talking SLS Goonies with 29mm mtr mounts?

Buzz

I never liked the Goonies before with the 13mm mount. They seemed to be underpowered and I did not like the themes that much. Since Bill sent me the drawings of the original concepts, I do like them, but in slightly larger format. Using ST-18 gives a 115% upscale that works better with 18mm engines.

Since they "grew", I have been calling them Groonies; Sheryl has been calling them "Grownies" since the themes are more "grownup." :)

Eagle3 11-08-2007 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
I never liked the Goonies before with the 13mm mount. They seemed to be underpowered and I did not like the themes that much. Since Bill sent me the drawings of the original concepts, I do like them, but in slightly larger format. Using ST-18 gives a 115% upscale that works better with 18mm engines.

Since they "grew", I have been calling them Groonies; Sheryl has been calling them "Grownies" since the themes are more "grownup." :)

To be honest, I never cared for the Goonie Birds with the exception of the Sky Shriek. I thought that one was OK style-wise. They're nitch kits that just didn't appeal to me though I'm fully aware they have a large following. I think Phred's Goonie versions of classic kits are better novelty rockets than the original Goons.

Will these be SLS versions of the classic Goonies or Semroc Originals?

Eagle3 11-08-2007 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Buzz buzzed in to taunt:

"#8 guys. Mom loves me best. "

Actually, it seems that Sheryl loves whoever got #6 and #7 better than the rest of us.
Bummer.

Chas

Knowing there are two people out there refreshing the "New Kits' list more is kinda scary. :p