Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What is your favorite in-production Semroc kit? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=8462)

Xyzzy 01-18-2011 11:12 PM

What is your favorite in-production Semroc kit?

I sure like the Texas Firefly a lot. The staging system is very simple yet elegant and it is a ton of fun to launch. I have built around 15 of the current Semroc kits, ranging from the Triton to te Arcas, and they all rock for various reasons, but I enjoyed the Texas Firefly the most.

I sure wish there was a "D" impulse SLS version!

--
Mike
SAM #68

PS - I just noticed that general Semroc threads are supposed to be in the regular forums, so if a mod could move this thread that would be cool.

:)

Tau Zero 01-19-2011 12:33 AM

Survey says...

Well, nobody else is gonna do it, so here goes :o :

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...ts.asp?SKU=KN-2

--But only for now. The recurring comment I get is that it's not big enough. (I mean, c'mon! I designed the original *six whole years* ago. Almost. ;) )

These days, I have to agree. However, I'm not able to remedy that just now, since I have some other things (Real Life, for example) looming on my plate... Er, horizon.

I could vote for some others, but (mock heavy sigh) they're not available just yet. :eek: :rolleyes:

Hey, I just got this catalog to order parts to build something called an Interociter... :chuckle:

Crocodile 01-19-2011 02:57 AM

My favorite ---- the retro-repo of the Centuri Javelin, which was my first model rocket.

Wayne --- SAM# 19

jeffyjeep 01-19-2011 06:49 AM

Orion.

MarkB. 01-19-2011 08:55 AM

Aerobee-Hi with a mini-engine mount

ghrocketman 01-19-2011 09:10 AM

Mars Lander and Saturn 1B tied for first.
SLS Hustler and SLS Aero Dart tied for third.

jharding58 01-19-2011 11:54 AM

Probably the Space Shuttle. It is an enjoyable build and the three elements all come down at about the same rate...

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...s.asp?SKU=KV-38

If you twisted my arm further, I would probably admit to a love/hate relationship with the Taurus

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...s.asp?SKU=KV-42

jeffyjeep 01-19-2011 11:58 AM

I was just reading the 1976 Centuri catalog page of the Space Shuttle. So, Semroc's kit still has is as it was back then with the 3 separate elements to chase? I HAVE to have one now!

mperdue 01-19-2011 12:05 PM

All their stuff is great but I'd pick the Saturn 1B as my favorite.

Mario

Feyd 01-19-2011 12:15 PM

Of the kits I've built, I most enjoyed building and flying the Hydra VII the most.

It's too bad that one ended up as a lawn dart :( I'll have to save up and build another one eventually.

kurth 01-19-2011 02:36 PM

I have a few Semroc kits, my favorites so far are the Defender and the SLS brighton. I would like to see an SLS Defender :D

Chas Russell 01-19-2011 03:28 PM

My first impulse was to answer, "Yes", about my favorite kit. Placed my first order (since 1970) in 11/2003 and can remember the grin on my face as I built the SEMROC Swift. Just a fun build. I do really like the SLS Hustler. Always wanted one back in the Centuri days.
I guess my fave is whichever one I am working on. Or flying.

Great kits, Super people!

SLS Defender.........

Chas

blackshire 01-19-2011 03:49 PM

Having a pedestrian, 3FNC/4FNC taste in model rockets (*someone* has to), mine are the Semroc Swift and the XK-23.

jharding58 01-19-2011 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I was just reading the 1976 Centuri catalog page of the Space Shuttle. So, Semroc's kit still has is as it was back then with the 3 separate elements to chase? I HAVE to have one now!

Yepper. And if there is no wind, possibly three different directions!

jeffyjeep 01-19-2011 04:45 PM

Thanks! I can't wait. I ordered mine today (and a Texas Firefly---by accident :rolleyes: ).

jeffyjeep 01-19-2011 04:47 PM

I do have a dumb question though: what does SLS mean?

Stop laughing.

jharding58 01-19-2011 04:51 PM

I have no doubt that Carl will beat me to it, SLS is Semroc Large Scale which is in turn based on the Centuri series.

So what would you say to a RTB Orion?!?

tbzep 01-19-2011 06:07 PM

Triple tie for first....

Saturn 1B
Mars Lander
Orion

Got several tied for second also. ;)

jeffyjeep 01-19-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
I have no doubt that Carl will beat me to it, SLS is Semroc Large Scale which is in turn based on the Centuri series.

I guess it's a good thing I asked. I don't think I would have figured it out on my own.

chanstevens 01-19-2011 08:01 PM

+1 for Mars Lander

April Dancer--sexiest redhead on the market

Trident--just finished building mine

snaquin 01-19-2011 08:15 PM

Top two (Can't decide on just one, sorry) -

SLS Hustler

SLS ARCAS

I have multiple flights on both of these. They are awesome!

There are nine runner ups, and all the SEMROC kit names start with 'SLS'

SEL 01-19-2011 09:54 PM

Gotta go with the SLS 'Hustler' kit.

S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I sure like the Texas Firefly a lot. The staging system is very simple yet elegant and it is a ton of fun to launch. I have built around 15 of the current Semroc kits, ranging from the Triton to te Arcas, and they all rock for various reasons, but I enjoyed the Texas Firefly the most.

I sure wish there was a "D" impulse SLS version!

--
Mike
SAM #68

PS - I just noticed that general Semroc threads are supposed to be in the regular forums, so if a mod could move this thread that would be cool.

Mark II 01-20-2011 01:46 AM

Right now for me, 98 of their kits are tied for first place. From time to time I have to make room at the top for new additions...

Seriously, answering this question is hard! So is identifying my second-favorite Semroc kit.

STRMan 01-20-2011 10:26 AM

So far, my Hydra 7 is my favorite, but I still have so many unbuilt Semroc kits to get to... :D

timorley 01-20-2011 10:33 AM

Space Shuttle
Mars Lander
Saturn 1B

RocketGirl 01-20-2011 10:33 AM

Like most people, I can't pick just one favorite.

But, two kits that I love are the Golden Scout and the Saturn 1B (mine has a pretty cool signature on it). I also love the Mark II, the Sky Hook, and the V2 xKit.

Carol
SAM # 152

Malcolm 01-20-2011 07:54 PM

My favorite is the SLS Explorer, to date. I finished it well and it has always flown great. I like all of the SLS series and hope that more will be added.

Malcolm Smith
L2
Sam #0009

BoosterDude 01-21-2011 10:17 AM

Scrambler, launching eggs is just cool man! :chuckle:

PaulK 01-25-2011 07:47 PM

Hydra VII, hands down. Original McLawhorn design, a nicely challenging build, and great fun to fly on 7 motors!

Solomoriah 01-30-2011 05:50 PM

I'm pretty sure it will be the Lil' Centauri, as soon as I finish building mine. It's just really pretty.

My favorite rocket built with Semroc parts? Probably my Stellar Hercules. I can't wait to see it fly. But since it's not an actual kit, it sadly doesn't belong here.

jtaylor 06-07-2011 05:13 PM

Saturn 1B.

RocketMikeH 06-07-2011 10:56 PM

I'm partial to this one :D

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...ts.asp?SKU=KN-5

Mark II 06-07-2011 11:55 PM

Saturn 1B.

Iris, SLS ARCAS, SAM-3.

Hydra VII, Defender.

SLS Laser-X, SLS Hustler, SLS Aero Dart

Mars Lander, Orbital Transport, Space Shuttle.

SST Shuttle-1 xKit. (yeah!)

Oso, Penetrator xKit.

And so on.

You see the problem here? I'm being perfectly honest here; it's a question that I find almost impossible to answer.

L3Excalibur 06-08-2011 05:44 PM

I have to go with the SLS Hustler. That is one great rocket that will take a variety of motors from an E to a G (and probably a baby H, too).

Buzz McD.
"the 'other' Buzz"

Doug Sams 06-08-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3Excalibur
I have to go with the SLS Hustler. That is one great rocket that will take a variety of motors from an E to a G (and probably a baby H, too).

Buzz McD.
"the 'other' Buzz"
BUZZ!! How the heck are you. It's been forever. Hope you're doing well. You need to come have lunch with us. Doug .

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-09-2011 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Saturn 1B.

Iris, SLS ARCAS, SAM-3.

Hydra VII, Defender.

SLS Laser-X, SLS Hustler, SLS Aero Dart

Mars Lander, Orbital Transport, Space Shuttle.

SST Shuttle-1 xKit. (yeah!)

Oso, Penetrator xKit.

And so on.

You see the problem here? I'm being perfectly honest here; it's a question that I find almost impossible to answer.

Gotta agree. I saw this thread when it started and realized that it was something I needed to mull over before answering. No amount of mulling made the issue any clearer than mud. I'm partial to a couple of birds, but picking one is torture.
I did catch a sniff of something in the pipeline that could blow the doors off of this whole discussion, but that remains to be seen. :rolleyes:

jdud 06-24-2011 10:47 PM

SLS Laser-X. I lug this one to every launch. I don't always put it up, but I like it there just in case I get the urge. I just finished my SLS Hustler and am quite fond of it as well.

LeeR 06-25-2011 02:15 PM

I'd have to go with the Mars Lander, since I never built an Estes one as a kid, and I have one under construction now. I also have a bunch of others that I could not resist ordering, but sadly, may stay bagged for awhile due to a serious lack of time. SST Shuttle-1, Laser-X (small, need to order the SLS), Saturn-1B, Orion, Cherokee-C, Mini-Omega, etc. etc.) :)

Met Carl and crew at NARAM last year in Colorado, and it just renewed my interest in buying more and more Semroc kits. Super nice folks, and really great products.

Bob Thomas 06-27-2011 12:51 AM

Lil Hustler - perfect size, cleanest build ever

Taurus - Classic

Squire - have built more of these than any other production kit, sweet simplicity and multiple configurations. A designers delight.

Hon Mentions SST, Space Shuttle and IRIS

timmwood 07-18-2011 11:18 PM

Best Semroc kit?

SLS Aero-Dart - great, straight flights on an E9-6. It's also rugged. If part of it breaks, e-mail Semroc for the replacement part numbers, order them, and you're back in business!
timmwood