Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Saturn V 1/100 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=5383)

Carl@Semroc 06-01-2009 09:42 PM

Saturn V 1/100

Well, I know I have been quiet lately. The Saturn V is a consuming model. Sheryl is getting 10 pre-production kits together to send out for feedback. Missing in the first package is the wraps and Apollo. I am trying to have them ready before the weekend. Instructions are in progress and will be put online.

As I might have posted before, the backbone is very similar to the Saturn 1B. It will ship with the 24mm x 3.75" long mount for the D12 and Gary's 24mm engines. The quad 18mm cluster will be a $6.00 option. We are hoping to get one ready for flight testing this week. It is supposed to be stable with the scale fins with single 24mm engine. The quad will require about .5 oz of weight at service module location.

Saturn V photo
Saturn V Exploded View

So far, I have as "interested" participants:
1. dwmdmm
2. CPMcGraw
3. barone
4. foose4string
5. chanstevens
6. John Brohm
7. A Fish Named Wallyum
8. ....

If you are not still interested, let me know so I can free up a slot. Sheryl has already told me that TEN is enough!

I will open it to a few not in this group tomorrow. What does everyone think of doing the critique "out in the open" on the forum? Anyone else interested in what goes on during the creation of a kit, tradeoffs, etc. might be interested.

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-01-2009 09:47 PM

If you're truly in need of someone, I'd be glad to offer my services to fill a space on the list.

Carl@Semroc 06-01-2009 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
If you're truly in need of someone, I'd be glad to offer my services to fill a space on the list.
Thanks Bill!

dwmzmm 06-01-2009 10:13 PM

Wow, looks like it should be a fun build, Carl! One question: Is there any time limit or deadline for the beta builds? The reason I'm asking is I'd like to be able to take my time and not feel "pressured" as we were during the Apollo - 7/Saturn 1-B Celebration build.

Carl@Semroc 06-01-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Wow, looks like it should be a fun build, Carl! One question: Is there any time limit or deadline for the beta builds? The reason I'm asking is I'd like to be able to take my time and not feel "pressured" as we were during the Apollo - 7/Saturn 1-B Celebration build.
We are on a time crunch. This pass is not for museum quality, but a look at what needs to be changed/improved. We will provide all testers with a production model in a month or so that can be built at your pace. This is equivalent to our "fit-together" models we do on every kit, just to check all the basic fit, decals, painting details, etc.

We hope to release it before the end of the month!

foose4string 06-01-2009 10:28 PM

Excellent news. I'm still in Carl. Looks rather straight forward.... perhaps easier than the 1B when you consider masking and all.

dwmzmm 06-01-2009 10:36 PM

Ok, great! I'm looking forward to it. Just take your time getting the pieces together...... :D

CPMcGraw 06-01-2009 11:21 PM

I'm very interested, Carl! Thanks!

Concerning the "out in the open" critique idea, I don't have a problem with it. That's how the BARCLONE designs are supposed to be handled -- open peer review. Unlike those designs, however, this new SatV is meant to be a commercial kit, so it's up to you how much of the details you want the general public (read that to mean 'The Competition in Penrose') to hear about before the official release. :D

Addendum: The messages about the new Quest "D", "E", and "F" BP motors sound like they might be an interesting matchup for this model. What sort of performance are you expecting from the Estes D12?

Royatl 06-02-2009 12:59 AM

I'd be glad to help out, Carl. Long as I don't have to paint, I can build em pretty fast!

Mark II 06-02-2009 01:46 AM

Carl, I can build one and give it a flight test (or two, or three, or however many you want) at my home field (which is pretty much always available, and which is about as good of a guarantee as you will ever get that there will be no industry spies - or even any other witnesses at all :rolleyes: ). As long as you aren't looking for more than a few hundred feet of altitude (say, 600-800 feet max.) it should be no problem at all. I can put one together fast if I am not concerned about giving it a perfect paint job.

MarkII