Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Wally's ever-expanding project thread (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=12322)

A Fish Named Wallyum 04-03-2013 04:34 PM

Wally's ever-expanding project thread

I'll lead this off with this one. FSI Echo 1 clone that I'd hoped to fly a couple of weekends back on the big field. A late start and early finish caused the hoped for first flight to be moved back to next weekend, if the weather gods allow it. :rolleyes: :D

Doug Sams 04-03-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
(snip pic of pretty bird) I'll lead this off with this one. FSI Echo clone that I'd hoped to fly a couple of weekends back on the big field. A late start and early finish caused the hoped for first flight to be moved back to next weekend, if the weather gods allow it. :rolleyes: :D
Nice job.

I have one, an original, but it had no decals. Where'd you get yours?

Also, since the original had 21mm power, how did you resolve that? Down to 18? Or up to 24mm? Mine's 18, but if I built clone, I think I'd go 24.

Doug

RWmarlow 04-03-2013 06:52 PM

Nice Build and the Classic Look is timeless...

snaquin 04-03-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

I'll lead this off with this one. FSI Echo clone that I'd hoped to fly a couple of weekends back on the big field. A late start and early finish caused the hoped for first flight to be moved back to next weekend, if the weather gods allow it. :rolleyes: :D

Nice ECHO clone Bill (and nice original Doug)! Looks great white with black fins and nose cone.

I always had great flights on my original with D18's and built mine with the payload section too. I always thought it looked better with the longer sustainer with a payload section just like you built yours.

Although mine wasn't much of a looker it was a favorite and very stable flyer. I don't recall having decals with mine either though.

:)

A Fish Named Wallyum 04-03-2013 09:09 PM

No, I didn't give any details, did I? :o
Mine is a clone with 24mm engine mounts. They might be E capable, but I can't quite remember. (I'll figure it out tomorrow.) I made the decals using the scans at YORS. Just waterslides with my inkjet, but they turned out pretty well.

A Fish Named Wallyum 04-03-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Nice ECHO clone Bill (and nice original Doug)! Looks great white with black fins and nose cone.

I always had great flights on my original with D18's and built mine with the payload section too. I always thought it looked better with the longer sustainer with a payload section just like you built yours.

Although mine wasn't much of a looker it was a favorite and very stable flyer. I don't recall having decals with mine either though.

:)

Apparently Don Fent supplied the scans, so maybe his had the decal. I know most of the catalog shots I saw showed it like mine, other than mine has the payload and those didn't. I didn't notice until after I applied the Echo 1 decal on the payload. I can live with it. :rolleyes:
Seems like those catalogs were from later in the FSI run, so that likely has something to do with it.

Vanel 04-03-2013 09:59 PM

Very nice Echoes!

A Fish Named Wallyum 04-03-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
Very nice Echoes!

Thanks, Bill. Wanna take a guess at where I got the idea for this thread? :D

Gus 04-03-2013 11:22 PM

Beautiful build, Bill!

Steve

A Fish Named Wallyum 04-22-2013 04:41 PM

Estes Patriot minus the sticker decal and garish paint scheme. I never liked either and I have some white letters that I plan to use to do a US ARMY script up the side.

A REAL Holverson Wicked Winnie. BALSA, not cheesy foam. :rolleyes: (Although I'll admit to being a fan of the foam.) Planned paint is fairly close to stock. Testors Candy Apple Red over silver. I used it on the Excelsior Der Grosser Vati and liked the effect.

Flight Dynamics Zepher 5 and the upscale Zepher 7.95. Don't know who was behind Flight Dynamics, but I've got to think they never expected anyone to upscale this one.