Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Estes Ranger and Big Bertha (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10221)

BEC 11-13-2011 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Think of them as a Mini Bertha with clear payload section and a booster stage. ;)

And an 18 x 70mm motor mount instead of 13 x 45mm motor mount.....

tbzep 11-14-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
And an 18 x 70mm motor mount instead of 13 x 45mm motor mount.....

Or the original Apogee with the 18mm shorty motors. ;)

JAL3 11-14-2011 12:05 AM

I'm trying to learn this stuff but it seems you guys absorbed it and memorized it in your formative years.

I used to stare at my catalogs at night but the text did not seem to register in the same way as with y'all!

JAL3 11-14-2011 12:27 AM

Another Bertha question:

The 1986 catalog changes the model number from 1223 to 1948. The rocket is also listed as "updated". I see that it still had 18mm mount.

Did anything change except for the livery/decal?

BEC 11-14-2011 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Or the original Apogee with the 18mm shorty motors. ;)

I didn't know that. The only catalog posted on Ninfinger that contains the original Apogee contains no motor listings, nor do the catalog pages list recommended motors for the kits. Innnterrrrrrrrrrresting.............

This was slightly before my first rocketry period. The first catalog that I really remember is the 1967 catalog. I would've been 12 that year.

Mark II 11-14-2011 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL3
Now that tidbit is VERY appreciated.

I would call it the farthest back ancestor.
That was Bertha before she got hitched to Ranger. The results of that subsequent union were Minnie, Super and the Baby. ;)

Mark II 11-14-2011 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Add to this the original Apogee and Apogee II kits. Notice the sustainer stages. They could be considered the 'grandparents' to the Mini Bertha.
I would want to get blood tests to determine that. I don't see any resemblance at all. There is a distinct resemblance to the Taser Twin, but not to any Berthas that I can see.

The later Ranger kit was simply someone with the same name. I don't think that every John Lee in the US is your relative, right? :chuckle:

Mark II 11-14-2011 02:57 AM

Quote:
Let's take this a bit further.

Would the Semroc SLS Brighton be considered a member of the extended family?
Bertha and the Brighton are from different parts of the country. They look very much alike but do not share the same lineage. Under the skin, they are very different.

Vega and Betty are even more distant. They are related to Bertha like a zebra is related to a horse.

Sure, on some far removed level they are all related...just like we are all related to Adam. Or Attila the Hun. ;) (My mother used to say that.)

Mark II 11-14-2011 03:33 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to learn this stuff but it seems you guys absorbed it and memorized it in your formative years.

I used to stare at my catalogs at night but the text did not seem to register in the same way as with y'all!
I flew rockets in the 1960s, but I didn't learn most of the stuff that we are talking about here until this century.

Mark II 11-14-2011 03:38 AM

Quote:
I see the family resemblance.

Could it then be said that a large part of the resemblance is due to the early stages of rocketry and there not being that many starting points for a young company?
Yup, they look alike. Just as I look like anyone else who was born in Michigan. :p