Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Coaster Plans (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=1213)

Rocketflyer 10-22-2006 08:28 PM

Coaster Plans

I have a set of Plans from the old Coaster Corp. They are of the B/G DynaSoar. They were starting to get a little ratty, and were written on and then "whited out. Currently, the plans are encased in plastic, from a machine that protects blueprints. Just what are these plans worth? Jack

CPMcGraw 10-22-2006 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflyer
I have a set of Plans from the old Coaster Corp. They are of the B/G DynaSoar. They were starting to get a little ratty, and were written on and then "whited out. Currently, the plans are encased in plastic, from a machine that protects blueprints. Just what are these plans worth? Jack

You're asking a bunch of old-rocket-fart BARs what a set of previously-unposted Coaster plans might be worth? Priceless... :eek: :D :p

You'll get your name all done up in pretty pixels on Scott's YORP pages if you'd send him a 300 DPI scan of those plans!!! Currently he has no Coaster plans available, so having at least one set would get him started on creating a new section.

(BTW, welcome to our asylum. All of the Doctors wear the straight jackets, and the inmates run this place! Needless to say, we all have far too much of a good time with rocketry, and way too much time for our own good...)

sandman 10-22-2006 09:24 PM

Rocketflyer, can you post a pic of those plans?

Please! :o

I had a few of their catalogs back in the 60's but my mom threw them away 'cause they had drool all over them.

Ltvscout 10-22-2006 09:49 PM

Quote:

If you could scan these plans so I could post them on Ye Olde Rocket Plans before you sell them, that would be most appreciated. ;)

Rocketflyer 10-23-2006 06:25 AM

Dynao Soar Plans

These plans are huge, showing full scale and half scale. I'm not rocket challenged but I am somewhat computer challenged, weak on soft ware application. Hmmm, maybe Scott can send affress and I"ll mail them, IF I get them back. How else can the be scanned, Kinko's?

Jack

Rocketflyer 10-23-2006 06:29 AM

Told Ya So

See, even my keyboard can't spell. That's Dyna Soar, and Address. I just HAVE to get a keyboard that can spell, really. I should also learn to type ,lol

Jack

Ltvscout 10-23-2006 07:59 AM

Quote:
These plans are huge, showing full scale and half scale. I'm not rocket challenged but I am somewhat computer challenged, weak on soft ware application. Hmmm, maybe Scott can send affress and I"ll mail them, IF I get them back. How else can the be scanned, Kinko's?

Ya, I've heard these plans are big. ;) Yes, Kinko's can scan, or you could send the plans to Buzz Nau who scans the plans for me. Buzz's handle here is Eagle3. I'll have him send you a PM with his address in case you'd rather have us do it vs going to Kinko's. And yes, he will promptly return the plans to you when he's done. :D

Rocketflyer 10-23-2006 09:15 AM

Scan

Okey dokey. Sounds good to me. Two pages of plans, and they are big. Plans say you can R/C the glider, has room for it. I built it, sent pic to the old Model Rocketry mag. Good pic at lift off. Was teaching Civil Air Patrol Cadets, circa 1970, about a year after I got out of the service. I don't have the pic any more, ****! It flew well, glided like a mediun size brick, but it did glide.

Rocketflyer 10-23-2006 09:31 AM

Coaster Plans

Ugh, just remembered something.( I have a case of CRS...Can't Rember S.... ! ), Way back at a RATS launch, here in N.J. , I was talking to Doug Pratt about the plans. I gave him a copy as he was interested and maybe "kit" it.

Another question for you guys. Anyone remember the launch pad put out by Nova Industries? Dave B was the owner, but without the catalog in front of me, can't remember his last name. Great launcher, could take the old "C" rails as well. I have a picture of it, loading an FSI Black Brant on it for my NATREK Silver, around 1978. Could use a launcher like this, it would beat the crap out of the Mantis pad.

Thanks for the welcome guys, I appreciate it. I escaped some time ago, I'm not going back willingly.... arrrrrgh!

Jack

Rocketflyer 10-26-2006 09:05 AM

Coaster Plans Sent to Buzz for scanning

Hi All,

The Coaster Plans for Coasters DynaSoar CENTAURI B/G have been sent to Buzz ( Eagle 3) for scanning. Take note that there is some measurement notes that I had wriiten in, as youngster, that may appear. I hope you all enjoy it when it gets posted. I seem to recall, on one of the archive photos, someone holding a built model of the Centauri.

Jack ( Rocketflyer)

Ltvscout 10-26-2006 09:32 AM

Quote:
Hi All,

The Coaster Plans for Coasters DynaSoar CENTAURI B/G have been sent to Buzz ( Eagle 3) for scanning. Take note that there is some measurement notes that I had wriiten in, as youngster, that may appear. I hope you all enjoy it when it gets posted. I seem to recall, on one of the archive photos, someone holding a built model of the Centauri.

Jack ( Rocketflyer)

Thank you, Jack!

Eagle3 11-03-2006 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Plans have been received and I've started work on them. Page two is done. It was easy, btw, each sheet requires 8 scans on my A3 scanner, so yea... it's HUGE. Page one has been scanned, I'm just piecing it together. I should have both sheets done and sent to Scott on Monday which is when you can start pestering him to post them. :D Till then here's a little tease....

Green Dragon 11-03-2006 09:07 PM

Quote:
Ugh, just remembered something.( I have a case of CRS...Can't Rember S.... ! ), Way back at a RATS launch, here in N.J. , I was talking to Doug Pratt about the plans. I gave him a copy as he was interested and maybe "kit" it.

Another question for you guys. Anyone remember the launch pad put out by Nova Industries? Dave B was the owner, but without the catalog in front of me, can't remember his last name. Great launcher, could take the old "C" rails as well. I have a picture of it, loading an FSI Black Brant on it for my NATREK Silver, around 1978. Could use a launcher like this, it would beat the crap out of the Mantis pad.

Thanks for the welcome guys, I appreciate it. I escaped some time ago, I'm not going back willingly.... arrrrrgh!

Jack

Ahh.. RATS

lol, the good ole days, I think we attanded near every one of those.

as for the Nova Research Associates launch pad, I remember those ( the catalog, iirc, *IS* posted on Ninfinger ).
would love to get patterns or info on cloning that pad myself ( or thier Salamander B/G ), definately brings back memories...

~ AL

Green Dragon 11-03-2006 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
Plans have been received and I've started work on them. Page two is done. It was easy, btw, each sheet requires 8 scans on my A3 scanner, so yea... it's HUGE. Page one has been scanned, I'm just piecing it together. I should have both sheets done and sent to Scott on Monday which is when you can start pestering him to post them. :D Till then here's a little tease....

Buzz.... that teaser was Soooooooo cruel :(

now you know I ( and a few other 'vintage hpr geeks' ) are not going to sleep all weekend .........

~ AL

Royatl 11-04-2006 07:12 AM

Quote:

Dave Babulski.

He's been a member of our section (SoAR) for many years, and a member of GAMMA even further back. GAMMA had one of the last production models of that launcher. It was called the "Launch Commander." I flew many E-H flights from that launcher. Don't know what happened to it, but I don't think it made it along in GAMMA's move from Atlanta to Macon.

When he does come to launches now (which is about once a year), he brings his other three-position launcher, called the "Launch Master."

You can find the '82 NOVA catalog at:
http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock.../82novacat.html

Green Dragon 11-04-2006 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Dave Babulski.

He's been a member of our section (SoAR) for many years, and a member of GAMMA even further back. GAMMA had one of the last production models of that launcher. It was called the "Launch Commander." I flew many E-H flights from that launcher. Don't know what happened to it, but I don't think it made it along in GAMMA's move from Atlanta to Macon.

When he does come to launches now (which is about once a year), he brings his other three-position launcher, called the "Launch Master."

You can find the '82 NOVA catalog at:
http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock.../82novacat.html

ANy chance of maybe getting spome plans for that ??? * drool * :)

~ AL

sandman 11-04-2006 08:46 AM

I seem to recall...man, it was a long time ago...that Coaster had a long burn "F" black powder motor that had a 6 second burn.

I recall that I had purchased and flown three of those motor. One rocket even launchied a white mouse.

Gosh, I hope that wasn't something I remembered through the use of some illegal smoke in the 60's. :o

Eagle3 11-07-2006 07:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The scans have been sent to Scott. Two sheets and they're something around 37"x26" in other words..... HUGE! :D Here's another teaser.

Rocketflyer 11-07-2006 12:08 PM

Nova

Yes, Dave Babulski was his name.

Funny, my launcher did not look like any of those. Mine had a plastic "ring' on a wooden base, and a plastic top, on which was mounted the wood piece that held a curved Estes syle blast defector, ( a REAL deflector not the" Reflectors " out now), to which the rod/ rail was attached also. The catalog showed that "coming soon" was a "Terrier" style dual pad coming out. ****, I wish I still had that launcher. Wish I can find that catalog too.

Jack (Rocketflyer)

Rocketflyer 11-14-2006 08:14 AM

Nova Industries, Enerjet Cat#721, FSI Cat'79, FSI BBll Plans

Well, I located the Nova Industries catalog. Looks like a copy, with letter from Dave inside, with the corner stapled sheets. Catalog is from 1979, the year I bought my pad from them. Very nice stuff. The Enerjet catalog has my old friends name in, it with some writing , and front and rear cover falling off the staples. Good cond though. The FSI catalog, 1979, has some writing in it as well, with the price sheet still stapled inside. I have the full set of FSI Black Brant ll plans, with notations written inside, and they are in very good cond. In 1979, got my NARTREK Silver with this bird.

Would you folks like me to send this stuff to Buzz, for scanning, and to add to this forum? Let me know.

Rocketflyer

Ltvscout 11-14-2006 08:28 AM

Quote:
Well, I located the Nova Industries catalog. Looks like a copy, with letter from Dave inside, with the corner stapled sheets. Catalog is from 1979, the year I bought my pad from them. Very nice stuff. The Enerjet catalog has my old friends name in, it with some writing , and front and rear cover falling off the staples. Good cond though. The FSI catalog, 1979, has some writing in it as well, with the price sheet still stapled inside. I have the full set of FSI Black Brant ll plans, with notations written inside, and they are in very good cond. In 1979, got my NARTREK Silver with this bird.

Jack,

The Enerjet and FSI catalog are already online at Ninfinger, which can be found here:

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/rockets.html

I have the FSI BB II plans online already. You can take a look at them here in case you have a different version:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/fsi/f...4/fsiMRK-14.htm

We could use the Nova catalog though. If you'd send that to Buzz when you have time, that would be great.

Rocketflyer 11-14-2006 09:50 AM

Nova Catalog

Ok, the Nova Industries catalog will be sent to Buzz for scanning. Really a nice pad set up. I especially liked the gantry for the igniter clips.

Jack

Rocketaholic 11-16-2006 08:15 PM

That would be great

I think it would be great to send it and have the items scanned and posted here. That is good stuff:-)

Eagle3 11-20-2006 08:56 AM

Got the package Jack. Just got back from hunting. Will get the docs scanned this week and back to you ASAP.

barone 11-16-2007 07:32 PM

I've got them now....

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys....

Jack was kind enough to send these plans to me.....you know....kinda help out a fellow buiding type rocketeer who had nothing to build during the winter. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've got a full sheet scanner at work and was able to scan these into tiff files. If you've got some type of program to print them in 8.5 X 11, you'll be able to use them. This is going to make a great winter project....don't you think so Al?

Ltvscout 11-16-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Hey guys....

Jack was kind enough to send these plans to me.....you know....kinda help out a fellow buiding type rocketeer who had nothing to build during the winter. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've got a full sheet scanner at work and was able to scan these into tiff files. If you've got some type of program to print them in 8.5 X 11, you'll be able to use them. This is going to make a great winter project....don't you think so Al?

Cool! Thanks for scanning these, Don.

Buzz, you're off the hook!

Jack, thanks for sending this stuff over to scan.

barone 11-16-2007 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout

Jack, thanks for sending this stuff over to scan.

Scott,

You want me to send the originals to the FTP? The O1 file had to re-sized to be small enough to be an attachment.

foose4string 11-16-2007 09:24 PM

Those are awesome. You guys rock! Has Carl seen these yet? :D

Ltvscout 11-17-2007 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foose4string
Those are awesome. You guys rock! Has Carl seen these yet? :D

Yes, I saw him viewing the attachments last night. ;)

Ltvscout 11-17-2007 08:30 AM

Quote:
You want me to send the originals to the FTP? The O1 file had to re-sized to be small enough to be an attachment.

ButOfCourse!

barone 11-17-2007 09:25 AM

Quote:
ButOfCourse!

Done....by the way....I've uploaded some other stuff there also... ;)

Ltvscout 11-17-2007 09:33 AM

Quote:
Done....by the way....I've uploaded some other stuff there also... ;)

I grabbed the stuff you uploaded on the 9th if that's what you're talking about.

Carl@Semroc 11-18-2007 10:01 AM

Quote:
Yes, I saw him viewing the attachments last night. ;)
I KNEW you were in this room somewhere. I just knew it!

Buzz had sent me some earlier copies and we ordered the special body tube (LT-200) used by Coaster and generated a matching nose cone (BC-20045). The special balsa sizes were ordered and then we must have gotten busy on something else....

Ltvscout 11-18-2007 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
I KNEW you were in this room somewhere. I just knew it!

Hehe. :D

Someone else is watching us, too. I got an email from Vern the other day. You guys will be happy to know that he regularly reads YORF, but he has not become a member for obvious reasons. He knows he'd get deluged with questions. He appreciates what we're doing in keeping the history of model rocketry alive. He also notes that Bill Simon was the most influential employee at Estes in directing it towards its success. He stated that Bill has a wealth of knowledge regarding the early years of model rocketry and the hobby in general.

I appreciate Bill popping in now and then to add his wisdom to the forum.

Quote:
Buzz had sent me some earlier copies and we ordered the special body tube (LT-200) used by Coaster and generated a matching nose cone (BC-20045). The special balsa sizes were ordered and then we must have gotten busy on something else....

Well, what are you waiting for?!?!

Carl@Semroc 11-18-2007 10:29 AM

Quote:
He also notes that Bill Simon was the most influential employee at Estes in directing it towards its success. He stated that Bill has a wealth of knowledge regarding the early years of model rocketry and the hobby in general.
Vern and Gleda had shared that with me at NARCON a few years back. I believe he was just the right person at just the right time to help take Estes Industries (and our hobby) to the next level.
Quote:
I appreciate Bill popping in now and then to add his wisdom to the forum.
As one of his long time fans, I do too!

Carl@Semroc 11-18-2007 10:31 AM

Quote:
Well, what are you waiting for?!?!
The main wings are 1/4" balsa, which we have not been able to cut reliably with the laser. The cost of the kit might put many off.

barone 11-18-2007 11:18 AM

It's good to know you've got the nose cone and BTs....I'm going to have to order some.

Eagle3 11-18-2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Check your archives Scott. I pieced this together and sent it to you last year. :rolleyes:

Ltvscout 11-18-2007 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
Check your archives Scott. I pieced this together and sent it to you last year. :rolleyes:

Like I said, you're off the hook! :D

Ltvscout 11-18-2007 11:59 AM

Quote:
The main wings are 1/4" balsa, which we have not been able to cut reliably with the laser.

Scottie, we need more power. I'm givin' her all she's got, Captain. :D