Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Mars Lander question (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=495)

hoverhans 10-12-2005 11:47 AM

Mars Lander question

Another rocket I am in the middle of building is a Mars Lander clone.

My question is about the rubber bands used on the landing gear legs. What is the proper size rubber band for this aplication? I think I'm set with all the other parts, just not sure of what bands to use on it.

Again, thanks to all. This is a gold mine of info for all BARs out there! I've been looking for a site like this for a long time.
Hans

CPMcGraw 10-12-2005 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverhans
Another rocket I am in the middle of building is a Mars Lander clone.

My question is about the rubber bands used on the landing gear legs. What is the proper size rubber band for this aplication? I think I'm set with all the other parts, just not sure of what bands to use on it.

Again, thanks to all. This is a gold mine of info for all BARs out there! I've been looking for a site like this for a long time.
Hans

Unless you're going for the "authentic look" of an original, I'd suggest using elastic shock chord material instead. This is what Estes is using in their Outlander variation of the ML.

Check the Wal Mart crafts section, near the knitting supplies, and you'll fins all of the elastic you'll ever need... :eek:

hoverhans 10-12-2005 12:14 PM

Craig,
Thanks for the advice. I don't know why I did not think of that. Sometimes things stare you right in the face and you miss them!
Hans

ghrocketman 10-12-2005 09:20 PM

I totally agree here with CPMcGraw on this one....go with the shock cord material.
I own two original Mars Landers plus an original unbuilt kit....the one that used the stock rubberbands now has collapsed legs...but it was built 20+ years ago.

A Fish Named Wallyum 10-12-2005 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Unless you're going for the "authentic look" of an original, I'd suggest using elastic shock chord material instead. This is what Estes is using in their Outlander variation of the ML.

So, has anyone actually seen a conversion of an Outlander to a Mars Lander?

CPMcGraw 10-12-2005 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

That may be what I use a HL coupon for this week... :D

EchoVictor 10-12-2005 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

Kind of....

Sirius Rocketry sells a decal set that makes your Outlander look like a Mars Lander...

http://www.siriusrocketry.com/siriusshopping/sirius01/

Look under "Parts and Accessories - Sirius Parts and Accessories - Elite Line Decal Sets"

Here's a link to photos of a built one...

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showth...er&pagenumber=3

Later,
EV

Green Dragon 10-13-2005 02:43 PM

re: the Outlander kit ...

can anyone comment on the legs,etc - are they the same as ( or close enough) to the Mars lander ?

looks like a good start for a clone, instead of cutting the legs,etc .

Might have to add a lander tot he winter project pile .... had one in the wayback but sold it when I was flying exclusively HPR ( and low on cash, lol ) ....

~ AL

dtomko 10-13-2005 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
re: the Outlander kit ...

can anyone comment on the legs,etc - are they the same as ( or close enough) to the Mars lander ?

looks like a good start for a clone, instead of cutting the legs,etc .

Might have to add a lander tot he winter project pile .... had one in the wayback but sold it when I was flying exclusively HPR ( and low on cash, lol ) ....

~ AL

Al,
The legs in the Outlander are identical to the Mars Lander's, and it is a good way to clone the MR. Actually, I think the Outlander has slightly thicker foot pad coupler pieces, but that's it; the die-cut and balsa parts are identical. The stuffer tube is the same as well. The toughest part is finding the BT-100 tube. It was also used in the first Estes R2-D2; I got one off eBay a long time ago. It's the same length. If you get that you just need a few centering rings and the balsa nose from BMS and decals (I think Excelsior has them). Check the Mars Lander Yahoo group for shroud patterns. Replicating the embossed panel lines will also be a challenge. Another one of my projects waiting in line.
Drew

Green Dragon 10-13-2005 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomko
Al,
The legs in the Outlander are identical to the Mars Lander's, and it is a good way to clone the MR. Actually, I think the Outlander has slightly thicker foot pad coupler pieces, but that's it; the die-cut and balsa parts are identical. The stuffer tube is the same as well. The toughest part is finding the BT-100 tube. It was also used in the first Estes R2-D2; I got one off eBay a long time ago. It's the same length. If you get that you just need a few centering rings and the balsa nose from BMS and decals (I think Excelsior has them). Check the Mars Lander Yahoo group for shroud patterns. Replicating the embossed panel lines will also be a challenge. Another one of my projects waiting in line.
Drew

this is great news ! :-)

I will be hunting up a good price on an outlander shortly (www.hobbylinc.com is cheapest online price I found ) .

I was not aware the BT100 on the R2-D2 was the same length ( are you certain ? lol ), will be measuring tonight.

I have a vintage 1977 R2 that's had a roung life - broken legs,broken clear fins,broken 'head', plus the decal wrap was mis-applied when I built it and has a small gap where it meets... been wanting to get another of those for years, and was unhappy when the 'reissue' R2 was 2.6 "

so looks like old R2 is going to have to sacrifice himself for the greater good of the alliance ......

~ AL