Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Centuri Aero-Dart and LIA-100: 'Birthday' Date (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=19326)

Earl 02-14-2021 02:28 PM

Centuri Aero-Dart and LIA-100: 'Birthday' Date

1 Attachment(s)
About a year and half ago, I was able to pick up a 1962 and 1963 Centuri catalog (which almost NEVER appear for sale) along with a 1963 Estes catalog and a couple other minor model rocket manufacturer's catalogs in one group.

The 1962 Centuri catalog is especially notable as it was their very first catalog. But what I noticed on page 18 of the catalog was of some additional interest. This page features the original three-finned Aero-Dart design and the LIA-100 heavy duty launcher (page scan below).

What is notable on that page is, in essence, a 'birthday' for each of these two items as the page is stamped by both items "AVAILABLE AFTER SEPT. 1, 1962".

Obviously, this catalog was released before that date, with anticipated availability of those two items by Sept 1. Assuming Centuri met that date, then maybe one can assume a 'birthdate' for each as 9-1-1962. That would make them 23 days younger than me.

Both items are still nice, functional designs which have held up well over the years. My 'design' though I don't think has held up as well! :o :chuckle: ;)

Earl

Scott_650 02-14-2021 02:33 PM

As a total aside, if you adjust the LIA-100 price for inflation, it would cost nearly $49 USD. Yes, I know that a CPI calculation would be a better representation of an equivalent cost but still interesting (at least to me).

ghrocketman 02-14-2021 03:02 PM

I would gladly pay more than $49 for a clone LIA-100.

Scott_650 02-14-2021 03:19 PM

Knight sells the hardware kits including the patterns for the wood in the $30 range for the base model, tilting version is more - not sure if anyone is doing complete versions.

mycrofte 02-15-2021 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
Knight sells the hardware kits including the patterns for the wood in the $30 range for the base model, tilting version is more - not sure if anyone is doing complete versions.

I thought there were a couple of guys making these for sale? It is easy enough to make the pieces.

ghrocketman 02-15-2021 10:11 AM

We have been waiting for YEARS for the guy thst sold clone LIA-77 pads to supposedly supply us with the LIA-100.
STILL waiting.
Have no desire for an incomplete parts pack that requires me to source wood for legs, etc.
As long as it's under $100, I will buy a couple.

Now back to my regularly scheduled mid-day NAP.

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-15-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
About a year and half ago, I was able to pick up a 1962 and 1963 Centuri catalog (which almost NEVER appear for sale) along with a 1963 Estes catalog and a couple other minor model rocket manufacturer's catalogs in one group.

The 1962 Centuri catalog is especially notable as it was their very first catalog. But what I noticed on page 18 of the catalog was of some additional interest. This page features the original three-finned Aero-Dart design and the LIA-100 heavy duty launcher (page scan below).

What is notable on that page is, in essence, a 'birthday' for each of these two items as the page is stamped by both items "AVAILABLE AFTER SEPT. 1, 1962".

Obviously, this catalog was released before that date, with anticipated availability of those two items by Sept 1. Assuming Centuri met that date, then maybe one can assume a 'birthdate' for each as 9-1-1962. That would make them 23 days younger than me.

Both items are still nice, functional designs which have held up well over the years. My 'design' though I don't think has held up as well! :o :chuckle: ;)

Earl

Two weeks older than me. ;-)

ghrocketman 02-15-2021 12:08 PM

More than 8 years older than me.

Ez2cDave 02-15-2021 12:57 PM

10 Attachment(s)
These images may be helpful . . .

Dave F.

Earl 02-15-2021 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
These images may be helpful . . .

Dave F.

Images 3 and 4 (on the dark blue blanket) are mine posted 5-6 years ago as I recall.

Well... a bit of searching and here is the thread from six years ago to the month about the LIA-100 and its larger deflector (larger than the one on the LIA-77).

Earlier thread link: https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/sho...ghlight=lia-100

Earl