Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Big Little Joe II (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3399)

Intruder 06-01-2008 04:59 PM

Big Little Joe II

I've recently gotten into cardstock models. This was my second attempt and I'm am fairly pleased with the results. It is about 3 1/4" in diameter and about 22" tall. I did some modifications to the model to make it flyable. I laminated the fins, put some cardboard centering rings in some places for strength, and converted the paper tower into a wood dowel one for the better looks and for a parachute attachment point.

Here it is sitting in the yard

Here's the liftoff shot.

Indiana 06-01-2008 05:25 PM

Wow, that looks great! Nice work.

Mark II 06-01-2008 05:47 PM

It looks real nice. Was that your own cardmodeling design?

Mark \\.

Intruder 06-01-2008 06:11 PM

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Was that your own cardmodeling design?

I downloaded it from this site

buckeyetim 06-08-2008 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A nice looking model. Well done. I built a non flyer of this a few months ago. you've inspired me to build a flyer on my second effort of this model. Did you scratch build the tower? What size engine did you use? ( Picure is my model beside Semrocs kit) Ton recently added a new version of the Ares V on Jon Leslies site. I've printed it but its on hold until I finish my Saturn V. Some of the card models are exccellant.

Tim

tbzep 06-08-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyetim
A nice looking model. Well done. I built a non flyer of this a few months ago. you've inspired me to build a flyer on my second effort of this model. Did you scratch build the tower? What size engine did you use? ( Picure is my model beside Semrocs kit) Ton recently added a new version of the Ares V on Jon Leslies site. I've printed it but its on hold until I finish my Saturn V. Some of the card models are exccellant.

Tim

He's upstairs goofing off. I'll holler at him and let him answer the question. :rolleyes:

Intruder 06-08-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:
Did you scratch build the tower?

Yes. I scanned my dad's SEMROC Little Joe II tower pattern and upscaled it to match the one in the card stock kit.

Quote:
What size engine did you use?

It's 18mm. I even sawed off a spent motor and glued the center engine onto it to slip in the motor mount for display.

btw, I can see your a way better card stock model builder than I will ever be, yours will turn out very nice. :)

tbzep 06-08-2008 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruder

It's 18mm. I even sawed off a spent motor and glued the center engine onto it to slip in the motor mount for display.

Translation: I flew it on a B6-4 for a great flight. I mounted the cardstock nozzle on a spent motor casing for display purposes. :p

Intruder 06-08-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Translation: I flew it on a B6-4 for a great flight. I mounted the cardstock nozzle on a spent motor casing for display purposes.