Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Finally - Three new kits and a booster (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=12314)

Doug Sams 04-16-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I'm flat out of A6-4s. I've used that motor in the past for upper-stages and it works fine for that.

I have plenty of A8-5s, but the Maxi-Micron is so bulky I think I could get away the A8-3.
My first thought was that the A8-3 delay was too short. But when I looked at the specs, 1.84" diameter, I decided the 3 sec delay was probably OK.

Doug

Doug Sams 04-16-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I look at it this way....You would not fly it on a B6-2, B4-2, or C6-3 right ?
This thing is 1.84" in diameter. My Big Bertha, 1.64" dia, flies just fine on B4-2's and C6-3's...

Quote:
While a B6-0 to A8-3 may work, I think a B6-0 to A8-5 would probably be better. I think the 3 second delay would be far too short and most likely it will still be moving upward at a pretty good pace. May shred a chute.
That was my first thought, too, but when I considered the size of the rocket, I figured the long delay was probably not as good a fit as the A8-3. (Altho the A6-4 crossed my mind.)

My second thought was that this thing was begging for 24mm motors :D

Doug

Carl@Semroc 04-16-2013 03:45 PM

According to Rocksim, B6-0/A8-3 works well.

383 ft
5.0 sec to apogee
16.7 ft/sec Vd
3.41 sec optimal delay

Maxi-Micron-Booster-18

BEC 04-16-2013 06:02 PM

Unfortunately Estes A8-3s tend to run a little short of 3 seconds.....the NAR cert data says 2.25s. But so do Quest A6-4s - at 3.52s (for the Chinese motors). So the A6-4 sounds right (though it's thrust curve will yield a lower altitude flight).

Initiator001 04-18-2013 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Looks GREAT !
Have you looked into building a 1972-version Enerjet Aero Dart clone to complement this one ?

He should build an Aero-Dart family like I did. ;)

Ooops! I still need to build the Semroc Mini Aero-Dart I picked up at NARAM-52. :D

stefanj 04-18-2013 06:03 PM

The little nozzle-shaped booster pod is very clever. I was thinking "maybe I should punch vent holes in it" when I realized that the motor mount design did that already.

I may do something like that on my Lil' Beth X-2 upscale. The tolerances on the wooden slats will have to be pretty tight, but it would look better than punching holes in the booster.

Can anyone suggest a width for the black band on the top of the Maxi-Micron body tube? That is: The nose cone is black, but it looks like the top of the body tube is as well.

Carl@Semroc 04-18-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Can anyone suggest a width for the black band on the top of the Maxi-Micron body tube? That is: The nose cone is black, but it looks like the top of the body tube is as well.

The model in the photo has a 3.25" black band at the top of the tube.

stefanj 04-18-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
The model in the photo has a 3.25" black band at the top of the tube.

Perfect, thanks!

I am going to need to build a spray booth; my new back yard is tiny, and I don't want to overspray my neighbors' fences and patio furniture.

BEC 04-18-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
He should build an Aero-Dart family like I did. ;)

Ooops! I still need to build the Semroc Mini Aero-Dart I picked up at NARAM-52. :D

:) I have one of those with one coat of balsa fillercoat on it.....

Not sure I'll be trying to do an Aero Dart family beyond that, but I did also just finish a mount for the 29mm Estes BP Es and Fs so I can fly the one in the picture on those motors at NSL, hopefully..... Its first two flights on an Estes D12 and E12 were sure nice.

Oh - and back on topic - got the second order from Carl and Sheryl and company with the Maxi Micron and Booster-18 in it. With a little luck I'll bring those to NSL as well.

I now have Centurion F number 00008 and 00026. I'll build the second one I think.

Neal Miller 04-19-2013 10:57 PM

New SEMROC Kits

My Maxi Micron was delivered yesterday, looks to be similar in size to the SLS Explorer.
When I build the MM, I will go to my box of old parts and use some Flight Systems centering
rings, modify them to fit a 24mm tube. and fly this kit on C11's and D12'S.
I think I will leave the 18mm tube out of the Booster as well.
I don't know what 24mm motors will do to the CP -CG, I will compensate
with washers as needed.
The Maxi Micron / Booster 18 flying on a C11-0/ C11-7 -D12-0 / D12-7will be exciting.
SEMROC has some of the most interesting kits on the market today.