Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hobby Lobby strikes again (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=396)

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-05-2005 12:07 AM

Hobby Lobby strikes again

Rockets and starter sets are 1/3 off.
With gas at $3 a gallon, I think I'll be passing on this one. :(

Tweener 09-06-2005 02:53 PM

I have a Ford Aspire 5 speed manual shift. I think I could go for that! Just wish they were open on Sundays like everyone else. I just HATE shopping on Saturdays. :mad: (The stores are open longer and if the Mrs. goes with me it gives her more time at the mall. There goes the compact car fuel savings!)

CPMcGraw 09-09-2005 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Rockets and starter sets are 1/3 off.
With gas at $3 a gallon, I think I'll be passing on this one. :(

I took a drive up to the local HL today, since I was already out-and-about, and just happened to be passing by... :D

There were two Screamin' Mimi kits on the rack this time. There still are...

I did pick up an extra Baby Bertha and another Payloader One to steal the payload section and Kevlar out of to complete my T-25 version of the Cherokee Double-D. Managed to only spend about $11. Nothing else caught my attention, so utterly boring was their collection of Estes and Quest kits... :(

Doesn't say too much about the current offerings from either of them, if you think about it... :(

I gotta break down and fly something before too long. My batteries are drained from Katrina... :eek:

EchoVictor 09-12-2005 09:07 AM

Craig,

good to see that ol' Kat didn't get you down too much. Take a "mental margarita" for yourself and go flying. Next time I'm out I'll put one in the air for ya.

Later,
EV

six-o-one 09-12-2005 09:24 AM

Just wondering, do they EVER put motors on sale?

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-12-2005 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-o-one
Just wondering, do they EVER put motors on sale?

Only when the person ringing you up is too stupid to know better or too bored to care. ;)

barone 09-28-2005 09:37 PM

Hobby Lobby Internet Coupon

Check it out guys........40% off any one item......I suppose that would include the blast pak...

http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/wee...pons/coupon.cfm

Don
NAR 53455

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-28-2005 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Check it out guys........40% off any one item......I suppose that would include the blast pak...

Don
NAR 53455

I've never seen one in any of our HL stores around here. Just single packs and I can do better elsewhere.

barone 10-12-2005 06:38 PM

Another Internet Coupon....10-10-05 thru 10-15-05

Hobby Lobby has another 40% off coupon for the week (bet you guys would like to find out on a Monday :D ).

Don
NAR 53455

snaquin 10-12-2005 06:43 PM

Quote:
Hobby Lobby has another 40% off coupon for the week (bet you guys would like to find out on a Monday :D ).

Don
NAR 53455

Thanks for posting the link Don :)

I may have to make the drive to Baton Rouge this Saturday to see if there is anything I need but will probably come home with something I don't need .....

I wish our Hobby Lobby still handled Aerotech EconoJets. Man, that would be sweet! I need some of the 24mm F21's and none of the hobby stores here distribute Aerotech.

barone 10-23-2005 07:59 PM

Another 40% off.....October 24 thru October 29

Another Hobby Lobby 40% off any one item coupon.....

Don
NAR 53455

barone 10-30-2005 10:11 AM

50% off Rocket Kits from Quest & Estes 31 Oct to 5 Nov

http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/wee...ls/specials.cfm

Don
NAR 53455

CPMcGraw 10-30-2005 01:31 PM

Quote:

Stock-up time! :)

Now, if only the local HL had something WORTH buying... :(

barone 11-06-2005 08:06 PM

Another 40% off Nov 7 thru Nov 12....

Yet another 40% off any one item coupon......

Don
NAR 53455

CPMcGraw 11-20-2005 11:39 AM

Half Price Time Again!

Hobby Lobby has rocket kits and starter sets for 1/2 price this week, no coupon needed. The coupon this week is for one regular item at 40% off...

If you're into acrylic paints for your models, these are also half price. Liquitex brand included...

A Fish Named Wallyum 11-22-2005 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Hobby Lobby has rocket kits and starter sets for 1/2 price this week, no coupon needed. The coupon this week is for one regular item at 40% off...

If you're into acrylic paints for your models, these are also half price. Liquitex brand included...

I was pretty disappointed at what Hobby Lobby had in stock this time. I went to buy Baby Berthas because I've got GOONY FEVER and thought they'd make a good winter project. Not a Baby Bertha to be found in the store. I wound up buying some dowels for the Andromeda, some posterboard for the SSV Scorpion restoration, and a Screaming Mimi for the nose cone, but that doesn't quench my GOONY desire.
BTW, if anyone has fin patterns or decal scans for the Galaxy Guppy, Missile Toe or Sky Shriek, I'd be forever grateful. :cool:

kurtschachner 11-22-2005 10:51 PM

Quote:
BTW, if anyone has fin patterns or decal scans for the Galaxy Guppy, Missile Toe or Sky Shriek, I'd be forever grateful. :cool:

Well, JimZ has the decals for those but not the fin patterns. I also have the stickers (decals) in my collection if that isn't sufficient. I never redrew them because it is hard to duplicate hand-drawn art on the computer. You can just print them onto white label stock using a color laser printer, then cut out according to the original size.

I thought I ran across the fin patterns for the rest of them somewhere, but I can't recall where now :(

A Fish Named Wallyum 11-22-2005 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
Well, JimZ has the decals for those but not the fin patterns. I also have the stickers (decals) in my collection if that isn't sufficient. I never redrew them because it is hard to duplicate hand-drawn art on the computer. You can just print them onto white label stock using a color laser printer, then cut out according to the original size.

I thought I ran across the fin patterns for the rest of them somewhere, but I can't recall where now :(

JimZ has all of the decals except for the Sky Shriek. I drew my own decals for my two upscales using Sharpie markers and label stock. I plan to finish the Zoom Broom upscale this weekend, assuming that I can find a set of centering rings to bump the power up to 24mm.
I guess could make a set using the 18mm rings if all else fails. :rolleyes: ;)

Green Dragon 11-23-2005 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner

I belive Phred ( excelsior ) has botht he decals and plans / patterns for the goonies ?

or at least a few, in the retro decals section .

( plus many other goony's new to our universe :-)

~ AL

Doug Sams 11-23-2005 10:32 PM

Quote:
I was pretty disappointed at what Hobby Lobby had in stock this time. I went to buy Baby Berthas because I've got GOONY FEVER and thought they'd make a good winter project. Not a Baby Bertha to be found in the store.
Bill,
How 'bout the Quest Full Moon? I've seen lots of those, and they're about the same price as the Baby Bertha. The tube is 40mm, and a bit shorter. The NC is off the Big Betty so it's like the Bertha/Goony cone.

Just an idea...

Doug

A Fish Named Wallyum 11-23-2005 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Bill,
How 'bout the Quest Full Moon? I've seen lots of those, and they're about the same price as the Baby Bertha. The tube is 40mm, and a bit shorter. The NC is off the Big Betty so it's like the Bertha/Goony cone.

Just an idea...

Doug

I thought about that, believe it or not. I even bought a Full Moon yesterday, but I'm giving it to the son of one of my friends.
I found a Baby Bert tonight, so that gives me three kits with the two in the shop. As of right now, that's also all the Goony fin patterns I have. If I want to take the cone from the 36DD, that will give me four. ;)
I forgot to mention that the plastic 6070 transition in the 36DD is pretty nice. I'm thinking about buying another one just to turn it into a BT-6070 Avenger. :cool:

CPMcGraw 11-23-2005 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Bill,

Just an idea...

Doug

Oh, the images you've just conjured up... :eek:

The "double entendre" of the name... :eek: :eek: :D

"Full Goon"...

"Full Metal Goon"...

"Fool Goon"...

"Moon Goon"...

"Goon In Sixty Seconds"...

"Bad Goon Rising"...

Green Dragon 11-25-2005 02:35 PM

"Bad Goon Rising"...

hmm. now you did it, made me think about the film ... love it ... had a chance about 10 years back to actually purchase one o fthe cars from the film and passed it up... too bad, would be a neat one to drive up to a lluanch in .... :-)

I have an 'out of the loop' question - Bill mentioned the ' 36DD', is that a new kit ? unfamilair with that ( going to find one online now to see a pic, but since I was replying anyways, lol :-p

~ AL

A Fish Named Wallyum 11-25-2005 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
"Bad Goon Rising"...

~ AL

That's actually the new Estes 36D Squared. It's the new dual-D powered kit. Kinda ugly, but some say the SPEV is also. ;)

CPMcGraw 11-25-2005 07:34 PM

Hobby Lobby Strikes Again...The sequel...

This really is more like a bad sequel than anything else. On Sunday, I get the email with the half-price rockets listed, then on Thursday I get a sheet with their two-day specials. So far, so good...

So, I go to the store on Friday and look through the gunk they have on the peg board, pick out a few that I can use for kitbashing, and I note the very conspicuous absence of any notices on the aisle about the sale. I take my stash up to the checkout register and...

NO ONE THERE HAS HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT THIS SALE! No fliers, no advance notices, nothing! In fact, the sheets they have all around are "similar", but no cigar.

Needless to say, I can't make the sale; I have to print out my email ad and take it back to the store Saturday. The manager (or head cashier, whichever) agreed to hold my selection until I can get back over there, but it's the idea that I have to make two trips just to complete one purchase that gets under my skin a bit...

Has anyone else had this experience with other HL stores this go-round?

barone 11-25-2005 07:54 PM

Craig,

I went today and actually thought I missed the 1/2 off sale because of the new 2 day ad. So I took my 40% off coupon. They gave me the coupon back and told me the kit was still 50% off. I didn't ask any questions....just smiled and said thank you.

Don
NAR 53455

sandman 11-26-2005 09:28 AM

My wife went to our NEW Hobby Lobby yesterday and BOTH aisles (platic models and Rockets) had the notice signs posted.

They honered both sale flyers! No questions asked! :)

Although she wouldn't tell me what she bought. :(

CPMcGraw 11-26-2005 08:15 PM

OK, went back this morning and picked up the bag of kits I picked out yesterday. I showed the sheet to the assistant manager, she still acted like she knew nothing about the sale, but she honored the sale nonetheless. Wound up with just under $40 total sales.

Nothing new to report on the selection -- it's still nowhere near what the store had when they started out. Rockets once filled an entire row, now it just barely covers half a row...

I haven't seen a C-C Express kit in quite a while. Hard to bash out a CDD without one...

Picked up a couple more Baby Berthas for some Goonies, a couple more Screamin Mimi's, a couple of Full Moons, a couple of #2 Skywriters (one for a Starship Vega) another Hi Flier, and still somehow felt a bit depressed by the selection.

CPMcGraw 11-26-2005 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
My wife went to our NEW Hobby Lobby yesterday and BOTH aisles (platic models and Rockets) had the notice signs posted.

They honered both sale flyers! No questions asked! :)

Although she wouldn't tell me what she bought. :(

Sandman, you need to terminate your tagline with "[/font]"... :D

A Fish Named Wallyum 11-27-2005 10:56 PM

Quote:
Picked up a couple more Baby Berthas for some Goonies,

So THAT'S where the Baby B's went. :mad: I did manage to find one at the Florence store, but I'm still a couple short. (Then again, I only have the instructions for three of the kits, so why am I complaining?) Which Goonies are you planning to build, Craig? I cut the fins out for the Zoom Broom one night here at work last week. I'm going to sand them tonight if I can get on top of the workload.
We got WAY on top of the work on Wednesday last week. I found myself bored and cut out the cardstock parts for the ESS Raven. I planned to coat them with thin CA, but it had thickened since the last time I used it. (The little brush stayed down in the bottle when I pulled the lid off. :o )

CPMcGraw 11-28-2005 12:02 AM

Quote:
So THAT'S where the Baby B's went. :mad: I did manage to find one at the Florence store, but I'm still a couple short. (Then again, I only have the instructions for three of the kits, so why am I complaining?) Which Goonies are you planning to build, Craig? I cut the fins out for the Zoom Broom one night here at work last week. I'm going to sand them tonight if I can get on top of the workload.
We got WAY on top of the work on Wednesday last week. I found myself bored and cut out the cardstock parts for the ESS Raven. I planned to coat them with thin CA, but it had thickened since the last time I used it. (The little brush stayed down in the bottle when I pulled the lid off. :o )

I think the Mobile store was waiting for me, as it had exactly two Baby Bs. It now has two less...

I'm cutting out the parts to one of our own Goons, the Thunder Goony. I need to cut a 9" length of BT-60, but I've got spares. The fins are sitting next to me right now, just cut them out before logging on again.

One of the three Screamin Mimi's I have is going to become a Thunder Auk...

With the weather turning bad again (rained tonight and last night, another wave coming through tomorrow night, then it turns cold again), I had to start up some back-burner projects. This one just seemed a good place to get going. It also gives me a good excuse to clean off my workbench and get back on another project that I started before Ivan came through -- a Sig Seniorita, with ailerons. The wing is almost finished, but nothing else has been done.

To say that I have plenty of building projects is an understatement...

CPMcGraw 12-11-2005 07:04 AM

What goes around...

Hobby Lobby is having another half-price week for Estes and Quest kits and starter sets. Be sure to print out their ad and take it with you, just in case the store personel haven't been told ahead of time... :eek:

CPMcGraw 12-25-2005 12:46 PM

...Comes Around Again...

Quote:
Hobby Lobby is having another half-price week for Estes and Quest kits and starter sets. Be sure to print out their ad and take it with you, just in case the store personel haven't been told ahead of time... :eek:

Didn't I just write this a week ago? Two weeks ago?

Well, I'm writing it again, 'cause it's happening again this week...

OK, so I'm just copying and quoting. Same thing... :D

Carl and the gang up at SEMROC will be getting the little green pieces of paper this time around. I need some real goodies to work with...

Tau Zero 12-25-2005 09:02 PM

Thund... err, "Aukin'"

Quote:
One of the three Screamin Mimi's I have is going to become a Thunder Auk...
(Arnold Horshack voice) Ooh ooh ooh! :D ;) :cool:

...And I need to get back to working on mine, as well! :p :eek:

Cheers,

--Jay

CPMcGraw 12-25-2005 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
(Arnold Horshack voice) Ooh ooh ooh! :D ;) :cool:

...And I need to get back to working on mine, as well! :p :eek:

Cheers,

--Jay

At least, mine would have been an Auk, until I remembered we used ST-13 for your version... :eek: :o

So, whadaya call a Fat Auk?

Tau Zero 12-26-2005 12:25 AM

The Thundering Horde

Quote:
At least, mine would have been an Auk, until I remembered we used ST-13 for your version... :eek: :o

So, whadaya call a Fat Auk?
Um... "Tubby?" :o ;) :D

Okay, how about a Thunder *Dodo?* (But only if you use a really wimpy engine so the rocket *doesn't* make it off the pad!) :rolleyes: :p

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum 12-26-2005 02:30 AM

Quote:

Okay, how about a Thunder *Dodo?* (But only if you use a really wimpy engine so the rocket *doesn't* make it off the pad!) :rolleyes: :p

OR if you use an engine with a really big ejection charge that renders the Dodo EXTINCT!
Hmmm? Where would we find such an engine? :rolleyes:

CPMcGraw 12-26-2005 01:47 PM

Quote:

Cheers,

--Jay

I like that name -- Thunder Dodo...

I'll whip out a new RKT file as soon as I get my computer back in shape. Picked up a virus last Thursday, from the "usual suspect -- email attachment..." I should have known better -- the message with the virus came from "me", or at least from an old email address that I no longer used. Curiosity killed another cat...

Side note, I'm using the latest Ubuntu Linux distro right now for my email and web stuff. Really stable. If I could just get Wine to work with the three or four Windows apps I need, I'd dump XP in a heartbeat!

Quote:
OR if you use an engine with a really big ejection charge that renders the Dodo EXTINCT!
Hmmm? Where would we find such an engine?

What's that line from the Hoodwinked movie clip, where the wolf and the little rodent character are rolling down the "Indiana Jones mine cart" scene --

Wolf: What kind of candle is that?

Rodent: (Pointing to the lettering on the cylinder) Dee-na-MEE-tay...

I guess I'll have to include an "E" mount...

Another side note, I'm working on a Goon using the Quest Full Moon. I keep having this horrible image with that name, though, like what kind of decal image I'd need to use...

The name alone is Goony enough...

Tau Zero 12-27-2005 11:04 PM

When "Thunder Dodos" Stalked the Earth... er, Skies

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:
I like that name -- Thunder Dodo...
:D

Then hopefully the attached files will help you out. :D ;)

Cheers,

--Jay :eek: :cool:

Tau Zero 12-27-2005 11:29 PM

Thunder Dodos Stalk the Skies, Part Deux

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Hmmm? Where would we find such an engine? :rolleyes:
Or an A8-3 to lift this 3 ounce rocket, only to finally fire its ejection charge 11 feet off the ground. ;) :D :eek:

"Behold!" (maniacal laughter)

Cheers,

--Jay