Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   New Contest - Starships (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10033)

Carl@Semroc 10-04-2011 12:08 PM

New Contest - Starships

This is a pre-announcement of a planned SAM contest. During the next several months we will release the Starship Vega, Starship Excalibur, Starship Correy (what's that?), and a new one to be designed by a SAM.

Rules are sketchy right now. Design must be in Rocksim format so we know we can build it and that it is stable. It must use our standard parts, except fins, rings, nose cones, transitions, decals (what is left?) which will be custom. It should be something that looks like a starship (whatever that is.) Only SAM 's can enter designs.

The winner, as selected by a public vote here on YORF, will get #6-#25 production kits, 10 unnumbered kits AND will get to name the starship (within reason, we get a veto.) Starship Eagle3.... Starship McGraw... Starship tbzep... Starship McLawhorn... (well that's a dream, I would not win anyway!)

Other members can be added to the family. Suggestions?

Eagle3 10-04-2011 01:38 PM

Cool idea Carl. It will be nice to see all the entries in this category since futuristic designs are some of my favorites. Quick questions,
Does it have to be a brand new design or one you created and already posted here on YORF?
Is there a limit on number of entries per SAM?

Buzz

Eagle3 10-04-2011 01:50 PM

Hi Carl,

A few more questions and comments. First, I forgot to mention it in my first post, but that is a very generous prize for the winner! I can just imagine the participation that should create.

Questions;
Does the entry need to be built and flown successfully?
What documents, photos, etc need to be included along with the rocksim file?
Any hints on what the Starship Correy looks like?

Carl@Semroc 10-04-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
Cool idea Carl. It will be nice to see all the entries in this category since futuristic designs are some of my favorites. Quick questions,
Does it have to be a brand new design or one you created and already posted here on YORF?
I don't think ANYTHING is new (at my age) so it could have already been published by its designer.
Quote:
Is there a limit on number of entries per SAM?
Had not thought about that. but it should be a manageable limit like 3-5.

Quote:
Does the entry need to be built and flown successfully?
What documents, photos, etc need to be included along with the rocksim file?
It will have to be flown before release! We will probably use the Rocksim generated file for voting. Finalist(s) will need to provide more detail.

It was going to be the Starship Tinsley.

A Fish Named Wallyum 10-04-2011 03:31 PM

Will there be a curve? :D

DaveR 10-04-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Will there be a curve? :D

:chuckle: I'm with Bill on this one

wilsotr 10-04-2011 04:22 PM

Any physical limits, i.e., size, weight, motors?

CPMcGraw 10-04-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
...Starship Eagle3.... Starship McGraw... Starship tbzep... Starship McLawhorn...

WOW! I'm touched!

(OK, everyone knows I'm already touched... in the head... :D )

Deadline?

Engine (power) range? One might also presume...only engines that actually exist in the wild?

Cool idea, Carl!

sandman 10-04-2011 05:42 PM

If I won I'd name it Starship McLawhorn. :rolleyes:

Do I get extra points for that? :D

Gus 10-04-2011 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Hi Carl,

My Guess