Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Super Scamp build (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=20940)

LeeR 08-31-2022 12:04 AM

Super Scamp build

2 Attachment(s)
I did the cut vinyl for a friend’s 3” Scamp scratch-build. I had never built a Scamp, but after cutting his decals, I went out to Jimz site and grabbed the plans. The original was BT-50, and used a “50X” nose cone. That nose cone was used in a couple kits, one being the Sprint. Since the Sprint XL kit has a “60X”-profile plastic nose cone, I had a simple way to do a Super Scamp. (The nose cone / tail cone plastic part is part of a Nose Cone 60 assortment, and I had one.)

Here is my assembly of parts, plus basswood fins I cut. I scaled the printout size to 168% (BT-60 is 1.677 times as big as a BT-50). I did the same enlargement of the decal graphics imported into my Cricut’s layout software. The second picture shows the assembled Scamp, fins are sealed, and ready for primer. Decals are also cut and ready to apply.

BEC 08-31-2022 12:17 AM

The BNC-50X was also on one of my all time favorites: Constellation.

A Fish Named Wallyum 08-31-2022 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I did the cut vinyl for a friend’s 3” Scamp scratch-build. I had never built a Scamp, but after cutting his decals, I went out to Jimz site and grabbed the plans. The original was BT-50, and used a “50X” nose cone. That nose cone was used in a couple kits, one being the Sprint. Since the Sprint XL kit has a “60X”-profile plastic nose cone, I had a simple way to do a Super Scamp. (The nose cone / tail cone plastic part is part of a Nose Cone 60 assortment, and I had one.)

Here is my assembly of parts, plus basswood fins I cut. I scaled the printout size to 168% (BT-60 is 1.677 times as big as a BT-50). I did the same enlargement of the decal graphics imported into my Cricut’s layout software. The second picture shows the assembled Scamp, fins are sealed, and ready for primer. Decals are also cut and ready to apply.

:cool: What's she gonna fly on?

astronwolf 08-31-2022 07:40 AM

I like calling BT-60 based scaleups "Super" This or "Super" That. It's like an informal designation.

Like the Super Alpha...
Or your Super Scamp...

Super Big Bertha doesn't count because it was a BT-60 based model to begin with.

I have pieces and parts for a Super Drifter gathered together - also BT-60 based.

Nice project, Lee

-W

LeeR 01-11-2023 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
:cool: What's she gonna fly on?

Bill,

I just saw this when I was trying to find something else …. :)

Most likely a D12-5. Or I might try a C11-3, just to keep it lower for maiden flight.

Wolfram,

Thanks! And I find my reasoning is similar, a moderate upscale gets a “Super” added to the name. Drifter has been on my upscaling list for awhile. It was my second rocket. Loved the look of it.