Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Centuri Mars Project 5313 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=5388)

snaquin 06-02-2009 07:02 PM

Centuri Mars Project 5313

3 Attachment(s)
I won this on eBay last week. It's a display only model rocket that I remembered hanging in the hobby shop years ago. It's the basic shell parts for the Centuri Phoenix Bird. Not for resale it was for display purposes.

I purchased it because I wanted to build a Phoenix Bird with the plastic connector / coupler like the original and figured I'd pick up the Estes Phoenix Bird when it is released for the decal set only since the specs call it out as a BT-55 model, not ST-13 like the original. I picked it up for about the price of the current Estes Eliminator kit so I felt I got a pretty good deal.

After putting it together to see how the model I'm now thinking of putting a Semroc motor mount in it and streamer to fly it. I actually like the paper "Centuri / Rockets" wrap on the payload tube and since it's only held on with tape may remove it and scan it to have it reproduced in vinyl should I ever decide to build another.

Any forum members have that plastic connector like this that they may be willing to sell or barter for? I'd like to get a second one and I'd prefer not to get the resin cast one from Moldin' Oldies unless I can't find another original part.

http://www.siriusrocketry.com/eshop...products_id=318

:)

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-02-2009 09:56 PM

Awesome!!! I was high bidder right up to the end on one of these a few years ago, and I had every intention of putting a motor mount in it and flying it. I got sniped. :mad: ;) If you can scan this stuff, that would be great. I had one of the connectors that I scrounged from a badly mauled SSV Scorpion, but I already made it a part of my UFO Invader.

ghrocketman 06-03-2009 08:41 AM

"Enerjetize" it with a 29mm mount !!!
Think of it as the 1340 that never was !

snaquin 06-03-2009 06:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Awesome!!! I was high bidder right up to the end on one of these a few years ago, and I had every intention of putting a motor mount in it and flying it. I got sniped. :mad: ;) If you can scan this stuff, that would be great. I had one of the connectors that I scrounged from a badly mauled SSV Scorpion, but I already made it a part of my UFO Invader.

I really like it and now that I have it I can't see dangling it from the ceiling from a string ..... it will be flown! The payload wrap is just a piece of printed paper and some of the clear cellophane tape has started to let go on about half of it. I'll try to heat it a little with a hair dryer so I can get the rest of the tape off without damaging it and scan it. I'm going to send the scan to Dave at Graphix & Stuff to price a couple of vinyl wraps to purchase to have for a future build or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
"Enerjetize" it with a 29mm mount !!!
Think of it as the 1340 that never was !

Yeah, that thought never entered my mind ;)

I can say that all my EnerJet models are true to the originals and have 29mm mounts and are only flown on 29mm F and G motors. I would have it no other way :D

I just received my order from BMS that included T52HMF foil lined 29mm tubes for the motor mounts and laser cut lite-ply fins for a Sonic 36 build. I already have the LT-125 on hand from Semroc. I'm really looking forward to the new BP E and F's from Quest to fly in that one. I'm thinking of having a custom vinyl graphic made for that one as well.

snaquin 06-03-2009 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a scan of the payload section wrap

snaquin 06-03-2009 07:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the low res of the instructions. I'll send the high res up to Scott to be stitched together in case he wants them for YORP.

Solomoriah 06-03-2009 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is, cleaned up:

snaquin 06-03-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
Here it is, cleaned up:

Beautiful job Solomoriah!

I had originally thought it was just printed paper wrapped around the payload tube and attached only with the clear tape at the seam. Only after I peeled the tape back a little did I find it was actually an adhesive backed wrap but fairly easy to remove from the tube after I heated a bit with a hair dryer. I couldn't get the tape to lift from on top the paper without pulling up the design with it.

The cleaned up image prints out perfect and looks great. I really do appreciate that!

:)

Ltvscout 06-03-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
Here it is, cleaned up:

Send the file to me at scotth at execpc dot com. Thanks.

Solomoriah 06-03-2009 10:59 PM

Why email it? The copy I uploaded appears unadulterated.

Or did you mean for snaquin to send you the other scans?