Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Resurecting the Transroc (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=19183)

fuzzoli 01-01-2021 10:37 PM

Resurecting the Transroc

I've started a journey to bring back the Estes Transroc. The idea is to create a copy of the Transroc that is as true to the original as possible. I had one back in the day, but it's been misplaced over the years -- the only thing I have left is the manual.

I'll be posting a full build log over on the EEVBlog forum as I will be able to pull technical assistance if need be. I'll keep this thread on YORF up to date with the highlights and milestones.

All project files will eventually be posted over on GitHub for all to enjoy.

So far, boards have been created and work will start shortly to build up the electronics.

Some may ask 'why'? Although the Transroc is 1970's technology, I thought it might be fun to get one going again. A more ambitious follow-up project will be to see how much modern technology we can fit into the same volume as the original Transroc.

Stay tuned!

PaulK 01-03-2021 07:46 AM

Kewl! Will be watching your progress.

dwmzmm 01-03-2021 12:08 PM

Cool! I tried to assemble one of the Transroc kit, I think it was the rocket finding mode kit. I had no soldering experience and think that ruined the transistors and other components. When trying to "activate" the transmitter, all I could get was a few clicking noise.

If I was to assemble another one today, I believe I can do it properly. I still have the soldering iron and walkie-talkie purchased from Estes when placing the order for the Transroc.

Good luck on your project and looking forward to reading the updates!

tbzep 01-03-2021 02:03 PM

I understand why you are doing it.
It's the same reason we all like vintage rockets, motors, and accessories.
The same reason I watch Emergency! reruns. (Well, ok...modern fire dept shows really suck.)
The same reason I find and refurbish vintage scanners and sirens.
The same reason a 71 Hemi Cuda sold for nearly 2 million dollars a couple years ago when a modern Hellcat or Demon would chew it up and spit it out while getting twice the gas mileage and the clock would be guaranteed to work. :eek:
It's something that ties us to a time and place in life that we can never get back, but we enjoy the memories.

Earl 02-10-2021 10:19 AM

I have scanned the Transroc catalog if anyone would like it posted. It's beyond normal posting file size posting limits, but I can send to Scott for posting here.

Earl

Ltvscout 02-10-2021 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I have scanned the Transroc catalog if anyone would like it posted. It's beyond normal posting file size posting limits, but I can send to Scott for posting here.

I was positive I had that online somewhere already but darned if I can find it. Send it on over when you have time.

Don Altschwager 02-10-2021 10:38 AM

I think it is on the Ninfinger site:

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...nics/rtcat.html

Earl 02-10-2021 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I was positive I had that online somewhere already but darned if I can find it. Send it on over when you have time.

Ok, will do.

Earl

Ltvscout 02-10-2021 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Ok, will do.

Earl

Don is correct, Ninfinger has it online already.

I looked around some more and found the catalog here on my drive. It was sent to me in 2015 by John Karpich. I never posted it because his scan was so large, 96mb.

He also sent me scans of the following:

Transroc Electronics Kit Builders Handbook

Transroc Owners Manual

Transroc Header Card

If anyone wants copies of any of those send me a PM with your email address.

Earl 02-10-2021 10:53 AM

Handle as you see fit.

Earl