Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Coming End to Model Rocket History as we ALL know it (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=19124)

shockwaveriderz 12-16-2020 03:11 PM

The Coming End to Model Rocket History as we ALL know it

In 10 years if it takes that long, everybody will be able to afford a combo machine ( a Star Trek replicator) that can basically make whatever they want. Pick a model rocket from a catalog online , and have it 3D Printed/LaserCut/CNC Machined/Hot wire Cut/Laser Engraved/Painted and RTF and then you select the engine and the combo 3D Printer/Laser Cutter/Hot Wire Cutter/CNC Machiner/Laser Engraver will make your engine for you.

IF I was Estes I would create .stl (or 3DMax) files for everything they ever created and sold..... You know somebody somewhere right now is creating a digital .drm for these kind of files so everybody will have to buy them.

Terry

Ez2cDave 12-16-2020 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
IF I was Estes I would create .stl (or 3DMax) files for everything they ever created and sold..... You know somebody somewhere right now is creating a digital .drm for these kind of files so everybody will have to buy them.

Terry

I can see the 3-D printed "Astron Birdie" now . . .

Dave F.

heada 12-16-2020 06:51 PM

We still have a way to go before someone can download an stl file and print it with zero issues. Once 3D printers have the standardization and repeatability of something like a laser document printer, then we'll see a disruption. Even then, it'll take some time before the devices are truly prolific enough to make an impact on vendors. In 5 to 10 years we'll have the printers that can have zero issue prints without tweaks. Then another 5 to 10 years before every house has one.

Last few years I've been thinking about getting one but I'd want one of the resin based printers and I'm just not finding the justifications for putting out $200+ for a limited number of projects.

tbzep 12-17-2020 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heada
We still have a way to go before someone can download an stl file and print it with zero issues. Once 3D printers have the standardization and repeatability of something like a laser document printer, then we'll see a disruption. Even then, it'll take some time before the devices are truly prolific enough to make an impact on vendors. In 5 to 10 years we'll have the printers that can have zero issue prints without tweaks. Then another 5 to 10 years before every house has one.

Last few years I've been thinking about getting one but I'd want one of the resin based printers and I'm just not finding the justifications for putting out $200+ for a limited number of projects.

Yes, right now you have to spend thousands for a printer that still needs some TLC to print well (like Boyce Aerospace's printers).
For the rest of us, we spend what we can, then the first thing we have to do is use the printer to print parts for the printer itself to make it work better. That by itself says we have a ways to go before we have laser printer simplicity on the user end.

scigs30 12-17-2020 06:33 PM

Heck, I would rather spend my money buying more OOP kits. Oh wait, I already did that and now I have a lot of vintage rockets to build.