Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Wanted: Dead or Alive! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Info on the Enerjet 1340, 1340/20 Fin Can Colors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17912)

Initiator001 05-20-2019 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
Thanks for that info!

>SNIP< Outside of the red fin cans from Enerjet (as confirmed by ghrocketman), Centuri released them with the Argus (KB-9) and no other kits from Centuri/Estes as far as I know of.

I just happened to be looking at a sealed Centuri Argus kit this afternoon and the molded fin unit was a pale orange color, not red.

SEL 05-20-2019 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
I just happened to be looking at a sealed Centuri Argus kit this afternoon and the molded fin unit was a pale orange color, not red.

I think the original Challenger that came with a styrofoam glider had the yellowish fin can.

SEL 05-20-2019 10:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
I think the original Challenger that came with a styrofoam glider had the yellowish fin can.

My mistake - the Discovery Starter Set had the yellow fin can and foam Hitch-Hiker glider (first offered in the 1986 catalogue):

K'Tesh 05-21-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001

Any chance of a photo?

Initiator001 05-21-2019 02:30 PM

Here's an old thread about this same topic:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=784

jetlag 05-21-2019 06:13 PM

I have to ask, what is the incredible attraction so many of you nice folks have for these rockets? My guess is that it must be nostalgia? They are so simple 3 or 4fnc rockets.
Happy for you, though!😁

Allen

Earl 05-21-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
I have to ask, what is the incredible attraction so many of you nice folks have for these rockets? My guess is that it must be nostalgia? They are so simple 3 or 4fnc rockets.
Happy for you, though!😁

Allen

Nostalgia, yes to some degree, but also for me, rarety, and just as important, these rockets are some of the earliest roots to what would later evolve into composite high power rocketry.

Earl

Jerry Irvine 05-21-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Happy for you, though!😁

Allen

Nostalgia and unobtanium.

A dash of OCD.

Jerry Irvine 05-21-2019 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Nostalgia, yes to some degree, but also for me, rarety, and just as important, these rockets are some of the earliest roots to what would later evolve into composite high power rocketry.

Earl
The actual roots of LMR and HPR are oft ignored due to early political squabbles that have long since passed. For example today at the Space Conference in Pasadena I saw John Krell. His name tag said Plasmajet. The first Posterboy HPR rocket was a Mongrel with 3 Plasmajet G88 and 2 Composite Dynamics G62 motors.

I was the Plasmajet dealer. I was the Composite Dynamics dealer. I was the Mongrel designer. I flew the rocket. I took massive heat from NAR over it too. NOT at a NAR event. Not even close.

Attached:
Irvine's Ace Mongrel with 3x Plasmajet G88 and 2x Composite Dynamics G62 flown to about a mile altitude and recovered by parachute. Just like a model rocket did back then in 1979, but considerably more powerful.

K'Tesh 05-22-2019 09:16 AM

They just looked so cool... And my allowance wasn't enough to score them. There was no home internet access, no forums, and no ebay back then. And then Centuri was gone (at least the separate product line was). Now these kits beg to be rescued from their bags, built and flown. Or if not available, cloned and remembered. Perhaps to inspire the next generation of future BARs.