Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   More designs (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=11479)

Brain 10-04-2012 09:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
After all this hair-raising rocket design madness, I thought I'd step back and punt with this simple design, the Starbolt. Metallic white tube and NC (and probably doesn't even need the decal) with three fins, each one of the primary colors. Tasty!

But then... the Skylon is what it is - an attempt to recreate the proposed Skylon vehicle in a standard rocket airframe. The pods on the fins are indeed curved (as in the original) and have ramjet intakes.

Brain 10-06-2012 12:08 PM

Freeloader

1 Attachment(s)
Although a few of the designs I've posted could be realized as payload rockets, this is the first design with a mind toward that type of kit (actually, it was the name Freeloader that helped settle on the style). Although not necessarily in view here, the launch lugs are placed forward along the outside of the transparent payload bay top to bottom, and a shorter aft one lies hidden inside the center of the three rear tube fins. I'm thinking a D-or E-motor bird... it looks like it could be a bigger one.

Randy 10-06-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain
Although a few of the designs I've posted could be realized as payload rockets, this is the first design with a mind toward that type of kit (actually, it was the name Freeloader that helped settle on the style). Although not necessarily in view here, the launch lugs are placed forward along the outside of the transparent payload bay top to bottom, and a shorter aft one lies hidden inside the center of the three rear tube fins. I'm thinking a D-or E-motor bird... it looks like it could be a bigger one.

Yep, a D or E core, mini's in the pods!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Brain 10-06-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Yep, a D or E core, mini's in the pods!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Ooh, you cwazy!
I didn't design for ducting, but hey... you can be the first! :D

Brain 10-06-2012 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The whole kit & kaboodle arranged roughly in order of shortest to tallest (and all subject to change):
Bombs Away, GBU-8, Astroland Park, Agent Orange, Four Alarm, Explorator, Lunar-1, Blackstar, Classic, Starstream, Red Baroness, Stanger, Astrogator, Gatling, Caveat, Commander, Uproar, Ecliptus, Circular Logic, Nomad, Starvenger, Skypunch, Beowulf, Night Ranger, Starbolt, Bulldog 24-D, Hellrazer, Empress, Terraphobia, Kamenatya LEO, Freeloader, Ascender, Starpedo, Ballistica, Big Brew, Auriga, Gryphon SDV, Skyletto, Declinator, Starbound, Dead Ringer, Levitar, Atlatl, SaturnX, & Sapringer A-O.

Randy 10-06-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain
The whole kit & kaboodle arranged roughly in order of shortest to tallest( and all subject to change):
Bombs Away, GBU-8, Astroland Park, Agent Orange, Four Alarm, Explorator, Lunat-1, Blackstar, Classic, Starstream, Red Baroness, Stanger, Astrogator, Gatling, Caveat, Commander, Uproar, Ecliptus, Circular Logic, Nomad, Starvenger, Skypunch, Beowulf, Night Ranger, Starbolt, Bulldog 24-D, Hellrazer, Empress, Terraphobia, Kamenatya LEO, Freeloader, Ascender, Starpedo, Ballistica, Big Brew, Auriga, Gryphon SDV, Skyletto, Declinator, Starbound, Dead Ringer, Levitar, Atlatl, SaturnX, & Sapringer A-O.

Brain, I think you're old enough to remember Deputy Dog...

Van Gopher: Oooo-weee Depity Dawg, that's sum fine looking rokits you got there boy! ;)

In one of my favorite episodes, Deputy Dawg managed to put himself in orbit... 3 feet off the ground!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Vanel 10-06-2012 11:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I very much like the look of the Lunat 1, so I used the image to gen up a quick design in Open Rocket 12.09. ST-16 to ST-7 matches pretty well, though the rocket is a bit on the short side and requires some nose weight for stability.

(learning to use Open Rocket so I can help out local TARC teams who can't afford RockSim)

Brain 10-07-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
I very much like the look of the Lunat 1, so I used the image to gen up a quick design in Open Rocket 12.09. ST-16 to ST-7 matches pretty well, though the rocket is a bit on the short side and requires some nose weight for stability.

(learning to use Open Rocket so I can help out local TARC teams who can't afford RockSim)

Nice! Thank you very much. If I ever get around to doing something about this design, I'll refer back to this.

Brain 10-07-2012 02:45 PM

Python 5

1 Attachment(s)
I have a folder with images of various rockets & missiles - be they real or imagined - that I might like to do a build from. This one caught my eye today, so here is a simplified kit version of the Python 5 missile.

Brain 10-07-2012 08:11 PM

Mesonic

2 Attachment(s)
A new one I call the Mesonic (no good reason why), since I don't know what the originator may have called it. I'm not even sure if it's a real thing. Seems like some sort of a cruise missile... in this case it could easily be a four-engine cluster build!