Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What to Build Next (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=19320)

Don Altschwager 02-12-2021 09:35 AM

What to Build Next

It is about -20 out in the garage, so I grab the box closest to the door, reach in, grab the kit on top, and run back into the house where it is warm.

The next build will be:

Semroc Constellation X-Kit!

ghrocketman 02-12-2021 09:46 AM

Nahhhh.
How bout a 1/10 scale Space Shuttle scratch-build instead.

L3Excalibur 02-12-2021 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Nahhhh.

1/10th? Wimp!! 1/2 scale. Go BIG! :-) :-)

Earl 02-12-2021 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Altschwager
It is about -20 out in the garage, so I grab the box closest to the door, reach in, grab the kit on top, and run back into the house where it is warm.

The next build will be:

Wow, that's down right nippy! Seriously, at those temps does the plastic kit bag have a tendency to want to crack and break? How about decals stored at those temps? Does it hurt/damage anything?

We have some chilly temps in the south at times, though nothing approaching that (though I think our record here in Augusta, GA is -1, set in the mid-80s). Our biggest problem here in un-climate controlled areas is humidity. Boy, do we have humidity!!

Earl

tbzep 02-12-2021 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Nahhhh.

Nope. Too cold for the 1/10 scale o-rings!

The Semroc Connie is a good little kit. I enjoyed building mine.

jeffyjeep 02-12-2021 10:49 AM

My next frigid digit build is the Skylab SV!

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-12-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Altschwager

The next build will be:

:cool: It's the 36 D-Squared for me. Cheers.

ghrocketman 02-12-2021 11:18 AM

The Michigan U.P. had temps below -30°F ACTUAL a couple days ago.
One more reason I avoid the Upper Peninsula like it has a Bubonic Plague/Smallpox/Ebola hybrid disease.

Don Altschwager 02-12-2021 11:25 AM

[QUOTE=Earl]Wow, that's down right nippy! Seriously, at those temps does the plastic kit bag have a tendency to want to crack and break? How about decals stored at those temps? Does it hurt/damage anything?

I hope it doesn't because that is where I have to keep them. I let it warm up to room overnight. The Semroc kits are all in the more flexible older style plastic bags. I have not handled one of the newer Estes still plastic bags when it is hyper cold to know if they fall apart/tear/shatter.

Old decals, I have sprayed some with Decal Bonder before using them after learning the hard way on an old kit that they can tend to fall apart.

(Motors are All in the house under temperature control).

ghrocketman 02-12-2021 11:28 AM

Your kits are all RUINED due to improper cold storage.
Please send to me for proper "disposal".
I won't charge you anything.