Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Saturn 1B Build Project (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3773)

Carl@Semroc 09-02-2008 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
That's my plan. Going to start working on them tonight. I don't think I got the cluster option parts unless they're still in the popcorn packing.
I only included parts for the 24mm mount for ease of display later. I have been working on an errata sheet, but EVERYTHING else keeps getting in the way!

The capsules went out today to everyone building a Saturn 1B. They are very fragile. Let us know if they get broken. We have a few spares.

We still need more builders! I will be going out to the "general population" soon. Additional suggestions for master builders is appreciated.

Eagle3 09-02-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
OK, I don't have the Saturn 1b wrap. I remember now, the guy who had one said he'd send it to me, but that was about 10 years ago and it never happened. He kept telling me to use the pattern in ROTW as it was much more accurate. That however, would be hard to translate into a wrap due to the thin horizontal sections.

Last night I watched my "Mighty Saturns" dvd on Apollo 7 (until I fell asleep) and I saw what you are talking about. It would almost be easier to use thin white pin striping over chrome monokote.

Mark II 09-02-2008 09:24 PM

No sign of mine yet.

Mark \\.

chanstevens 09-03-2008 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
I only included parts for the 24mm mount for ease of display later. I have been working on an errata sheet, but EVERYTHING else keeps getting in the way!

The capsules went out today to everyone building a Saturn 1B. They are very fragile. Let us know if they get broken. We have a few spares.

We still need more builders! I will be going out to the "general population" soon. Additional suggestions for master builders is appreciated.

I've sent a note to Bob Cox (email bitemebob at hotmail dot com) who is a terrific builder, though I think he trolls TRF and not YORF. Hopefully he'll email your sales at semroc account. Note that Bob Cox is just an alias, and if he provides shipping info to you it is likely to be a different name.

I'm not sure if he's built any Saturns previously, but his work on sport models is fantastic. He did the big Q-Modeling Andromeda at NARCON--exceptional.

--Chan Stevens

Royatl 09-03-2008 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
Anybody want to pony up some online storage briefly?

I sent you login information yesterday. Let me know if you didn't get it.

chanstevens 09-03-2008 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
I sent you login information yesterday. Let me know if you didn't get it.

I did not get it that I know of. PM or email to chanstevens at gmail dot com. Might have wound up in a spam filter, though hat's doubtful...

My big stash of files is at home, so will have to wait 'till tonight to upload.

ghrocketman 09-03-2008 10:16 AM

Carl,
I would have volunteered if the completion date was about 1 month later, but unfortunately due to my schedule there is no way I could get a build with finish of this quality/caliber completed by early October.

Royatl 09-03-2008 11:42 PM

The files Chan provided are online for a month at:

http://www.soarrocketry.org/saturn/

Enjoy.

CPMcGraw 09-04-2008 01:04 AM

Thanks, Chan and Roy, for those files!

Chan (or anyone who has the answer :) ), is the blue coloring on the CM a wrap of some sort protecting the surface? Or was the CM actually blue-anodized (or just blue-tinted)?

chanstevens 09-04-2008 07:57 AM

Well, I was only 3 years old at the time, so not paying that much attention to it, but if you're referring to the first photo in the Apollo 7 SA-205 zip folder, then that's one I've always thought was just some sort of metal coating like a dye. I doubt it would be annodized, as that would not add much benefit prior to the tiles going on.