Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Saturn 1B Build Project (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3773)

Royatl 09-22-2008 02:52 PM

yea, that's what I've been using, and is why I missed the javascript error for awhile too. Chrome either doesn't care, or they just haven't put the reporting code in yet.

dwmzmm 09-22-2008 02:53 PM

Worked great for me; I've already have it saved to my hard drive and available on my
desktop.

BTW, does anyone know for certain if the Service Module of the Apollo - 7 actually had an
EVA light? The drawings in those links shows an EVA light but that puzzles me, as there was
no EVA planned (nor no LM) that would require an EVA light. I will need to know an definitive
answer in about a week before I start working on the SM detailing.

chanstevens 09-23-2008 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Worked great for me; I've already have it saved to my hard drive and available on my
desktop.

BTW, does anyone know for certain if the Service Module of the Apollo - 7 actually had an
EVA light? The drawings in those links shows an EVA light but that puzzles me, as there was
no EVA planned (nor no LM) that would require an EVA light. I will need to know an definitive
answer in about a week before I start working on the SM detailing.

Are you referring to the Mark Piatowski "drawings"? If so, they are NOT specific to that mission, but are more of a generic series of wonderful renderings showing some of the colors and details of the 1b. They are included in the Apogee kit documentation as finishing guidelines, and that kit supports a number of different mission configurations.

The main reason I included them is because, with no offense to the outstanding Semroc instructions, the finishing specs and illustrations are a bit thin and maybe even a bit inaccurate depending on mission choice. The antenna panels, for example, should be yellow, not silver. The service module has a LOT of silver, not solid white. These drawings, which are more like artists renderings, do a pretty good job of showing how to try to finish a typical Saturn, not necessarily Apollo-7.

As I looked over them today, I did notice one major thing missing which I'll try to correct--in the Apogee instructions, each of them show up with a label indicating the position number/view angle. The online folder does not indicate this. I think it would be pretty important to know which side of the rocket you're looking at...

--Chan Stevens

chanstevens 09-23-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
OK, I don't have the Saturn 1b wrap. I remember now, the guy who had one said he'd send it to me, but that was about 10 years ago and it never happened. He kept telling me to use the pattern in ROTW as it was much more accurate. That however, would be hard to translate into a wrap due to the thin horizontal sections.

BUT, now that Rustee found one in a hobby shop it shouldn't be a problem. I asked him to scan all the stuff. I hope he does.

Lacking a wrap scan for any/all of us, does anyone have an unbuilt Apogee 1b kit? There's a raised ink/embossed wrap in there for the service module that would at least be a very good masking guide if scanned. I inquired today about buying a few as replacement parts, and Tim turned me down. Turns out he spent a fortune to tool that, and needs to sell kits to recoup the cost. If he sold 'em off as spare parts to folks who go ahead and build someone else's kit (Estes, Semroc, etc.) he'd never make enough margin to cover the wrap tooling cost. Makes sense to me, but I would have hoped for this project he'd bend on that policy :( .

Royatl 09-23-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
Lacking a wrap scan for any/all of us, does anyone have an unbuilt Apogee 1b kit? There's a raised ink/embossed wrap in there for the service module that would at least be a very good masking guide if scanned.

I'll get mine out tonight. I know I've opened the Saturn V kit, but not sure if I've ever opened the 1B!

barone 09-23-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:
Lacking a wrap scan for any/all of us, does anyone have an unbuilt Apogee 1b kit? There's a raised ink/embossed wrap in there for the service module that would at least be a very good masking guide if scanned. I inquired today about buying a few as replacement parts, and Tim turned me down. Turns out he spent a fortune to tool that, and needs to sell kits to recoup the cost. If he sold 'em off as spare parts to folks who go ahead and build someone else's kit (Estes, Semroc, etc.) he'd never make enough margin to cover the wrap tooling cost. Makes sense to me, but I would have hoped for this project he'd bend on that policy :( .

Chan,

Go back earlier in this thread. I posted a .tif of it.....Post #83 (I guess I'm just posting to myself :( )

CPMcGraw 09-23-2008 08:25 PM

As I started test-fitting the wraps around the SIV-B tube on both my project kit and on the one I bought about a year ago, I found one of my #4 wraps was incorrectly sized. It's slightly long, and the corrugations progressively get out of alignment. The #3 wraps and the remaining #4 wrap seem to be fine, that is to say, their corrugations line up. I suspect the wrap that is long is from my older kit, as I have not heard anyone on this thread mentioning this problem. Both of my #5 wraps line up with the #3 wraps, so it's just the one #4 that's at issue.

Got the wraps on the lower S-1B skirts, and the spacer strips on all 16 of the tanks. Final white coats on these tomorrow. Masking and black paint to come on Thursday.

Don't know which is more difficult - building the fins, or applying the wraps...

dwmzmm 09-23-2008 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
As I started test-fitting the wraps around the SIV-B tube on both my project kit and on the one I bought about a year ago, I found one of my #4 wraps was incorrectly sized. It's slightly long, and the corrugations progressively get out of alignment. The #3 wraps and the remaining #4 wrap seem to be fine, that is to say, their corrugations line up. I suspect the wrap that is long is from my older kit, as I have not heard anyone on this thread mentioning this problem. Both of my #5 wraps line up with the #3 wraps, so it's just the one #4 that's at issue.

Got the wraps on the lower S-1B skirts, and the spacer strips on all 16 of the tanks. Final white coats on these tomorrow. Masking and black paint to come on Thursday.

Don't know which is more difficult - building the fins, or applying the wraps...

Just finished putting on the wraps a few minutes ago; all of them fit ok, although I had to make some small trims to the two lowest wraps for the fin can (were a bit too big). The
wraps to the main body section went on pretty good, and the corrugations seem to line
up ok. I really wanted to try using contact cement to apply the wraps (much like the Centuri kit), but "chickened" out as it allows no room for errors. Using white glue makes
the surface a bit uneven, but I suspect that will be taken care of when the base coat of
white paint goes on.

Tomorrow I'll get started on the fin construction; should be interesting and fun!!

chanstevens 09-24-2008 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Chan,

Go back earlier in this thread. I posted a .tif of it.....Post #83 (I guess I'm just posting to myself :( )

Was that from an Apogee kit or one of the early Estes/Centuri's?

barone 09-24-2008 07:23 AM

Quote:
Was that from an Apogee kit or one of the early Estes/Centuri's?

That's from the Apogee kit (I haven't started building it yet). The file name is how I have it saved on my computer. Sorry for the confusion.