Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Saturn 1B Build Project (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3773)

dwmzmm 09-17-2008 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Well, you're further along than I am and I don't have a hurricane to contend with.

Finished building the fins and stacking out. Still filling gaps on the tube shroud....fill, sand, fill. LEM shroud goes on tonight. I think I'm going to prime and sand the stack once more before applying the wraps to make sure I've got all the gaps filled. Don't want to add primer after I get the wraps on and destroy the detail.

Anyone put the capsule together yet?

I've only viewed the DVD of the capsule and studied the instructions today; in a few minutes
I'm going to get started on the build. Wanted to see how I can construct the model in modules (and prepaint certain portions before final assembly, like the Centuri Saturn 1-B,
which made the finished product a lot easier and better). Looks like it'll be a challenge, but
I'm going to do what I can. The arrival/passing of Ike over the weekend really set me back
big time, so I'm pretty much behind anyhow you look at it.

I can feel for chanstevens, as many of the electrical repair crew from Ohio headed down to
southeast Texas after Ike did its damage to assist CenterPoint Energy in the recovery
efforts. This had already been contracted long before Ike hit, as we're getting help (so they
say) from all over to help speed things up. They've said that the Houston metro area has
the largest electrical grid in the US. We got our power back several days ago (after being out for nearly three days); but over 60% of Houston still doesn't have power as of now. Many may not be back on line until next week.

barone 09-17-2008 08:54 PM

My sister called today. She just got her power back and my mother and brother haven't had power since Sunday. They live between Dayton and Columbus Ohio.... :(

barone 09-17-2008 09:40 PM

Step 26 Build Tip

There's a gap between the fuel tank body tubes. Put two pieces of sandpaper together so the sand is facing eachother and then slide them between the tank tubes. Fold the pieces back across the top of the two tanks, exposing the sand. Slide the fairing support between the two pieces of sandpaper. The resulting bevel should closely match the gap between the tank tubes. Test fit often to ensure you don't remove too much balsa.

dwmzmm 09-19-2008 02:12 PM

Finally got started on the build of mine (well, the one I received :( ) and having some real
fun! Get's my mind off of the disasterous events we had in our area over the past week. Since our school doesn't start until Tuesday, I'll have some time to really get to work and
make progress. Will be working on the eight fuel tanks today and the fin construction so I
can get that out of the way. Will be using my vintage Centuri Saturn 1-B as a reference point
while working on this 1/70 scale model.

barone 09-19-2008 06:26 PM

Got your email.....just keep the mystery going don't you???? ;)

dwmzmm 09-20-2008 12:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all, this evening (Friday, September 19th) while working on the Saturn 1-B, I was studying my old Centuri model and noticed that the SEMROC decal sheet is missing the
vertical motion markings that's located on the interstage adapter next to the black roll
pattern. I've included a photo I took of the Centuri model with the marking in question
circled so you guys can keep it in mind when you finish yours. I plan to use the black
monokote adhesive to do the job.

And, sorry for the cluttered look in the background of my work table. Things have been
really hectic here lately, so I'm sure you all can understand (will in no way diminish the
quality of my build). If you can look a little behind the Centuri model, on the table, you
can see four of the eight fuel tanks have been attached to the assembly. I used black
monokote for those tanks. Came out looking really good.

More later.

Pyro Pro 09-22-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
The files Chan provided are online for a month at:

http://www.soarrocketry.org/saturn/

Enjoy.

Just wondering, is this link working for anyone else? I keep getting a "Server Error in '/' Application" message.

Royatl 09-22-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro Pro
Just wondering, is this link working for anyone else? I keep getting a "Server Error in '/' Application" message.

I just used it. But that's not to say that occasionally it might be down briefly as I do some experimentation with it.

right now on internet explorer it will give a couple of javascript errors ("'Sys' is undefined"). Just click "no".

Royatl 09-22-2008 02:45 PM

Ah, I see. It is blowing up under Firefox. I think I know what that's about.

yep. put in some browser caps code to deal with an issue with the google maps API.

It apparently barfed.

Should be good to go now.

Pyro Pro 09-22-2008 02:49 PM

Aha! That was it. Thanks.

Looks like it works with Google Chrome as well.