Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Mission Control (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Gap Staging, Up Close and Personal (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3149)

tbzep 04-13-2008 08:49 PM

Gap Staging, Up Close and Personal
 
My son and I have been doing some tweaking on his scratch built gap staged Aerobee Hi. We went out today to see how the changes affected the staging and I took a few pictures to let everyone see just what goes on with an open air gap stage flight. Conditions weren't good, as it was overcast and drizzling rain, but we managed to get some decent photos. In order to see what was going on better, we used an A8-0 booster to get a low altitude stage.

Ignition


Liftoff


Second Stage Ignition


Separation

SEL 04-13-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
My son and I have been doing some tweaking on his scratch built gap staged Aerobee Hi. We went out today to see how the changes affected the staging and I took a few pictures to let everyone see just what goes on with an open air gap stage flight. Conditions weren't good, as it was overcast and drizzling rain, but we managed to get some decent photos. In order to see what was going on better, we used an A8-0 booster to get a low altitude stage.


WOW!! GREAT sequence!! Nice work!

S.

dwmzmm 04-13-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
WOW!! GREAT sequence!! Nice work!

S.



I agree 100%; those pictures belong to a "how to" book showing what it looks like when
a model rocket stages. How did you get such excellent sequence of pics?

Rocketflyer 04-14-2008 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
I agree 100%; those pictures belong to a "how to" book showing what it looks like when
a model rocket stages. How did you get such excellent sequence of pics?



Couldn't have said it better. Great modeling skills as well!
Well done, all around.

tbzep 04-14-2008 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
I agree 100%; those pictures belong to a "how to" book showing what it looks like when
a model rocket stages. How did you get such excellent sequence of pics?


Thanks everyone.

That was the Aerobee's third flight over the course of just a few days so I was used to it's flight profile. Everybody always wants to launch with the biggest motors available, but we purposely went with the smallest so that it would stage low and fairly slow. That helped us keep it in the field and gave me a chance to shoot the staging fairly close with the dark tree background.

My son has already started working on a second Aerobee model. He hopes to make it look a little better and I've come up with a little design to hopefully help protect the booster a little better from the sustainer's thrust than the removable cardstock cap we are using now.

STRMan 04-14-2008 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
How did you get such excellent sequence of pics?


I've figured it out. It is the same way Peter Parker can get such good pics of Spiderman. He is a super hero with super hero powers. Obviously tbzep has the ability to fly, and he just keeps right up with the rockets as they are in flight. There is no other reasonable explanation for the incredible shots he can take. :D

moonzero2 04-14-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMan
I've figured it out. It is the same way Peter Parker can get such good pics of Spiderman. He is a super hero with super hero powers. Obviously tbzep has the ability to fly, and he just keeps right up with the rockets as they are in flight. There is no other reasonable explanation for the incredible shots he can take. :D


I agree! And to think he got 3 shots in before the 2nd stage ignition! How'd he do that?
AWESOME photography!

GREAT looking rocket too! :D

Gus 04-15-2008 07:32 PM

Wow!

That's a truly amazing sequence.

Best staging pictures I've ever seen.

What was the approximate altitude at staging?

Again, just an amazing sequence.

tbzep 04-15-2008 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Wow!

That's a truly amazing sequence.

Best staging pictures I've ever seen.

What was the approximate altitude at staging?

Again, just an amazing sequence.



I couldn't say for sure because I had my head buried behind the camera, but I'd guess that it was around 25 feet. :D

rosko_racer 04-10-2012 03:37 PM

Awesome pictures! How badly was the booster scorched/burned? Pics? Thanks for sharing.

- RPR


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.