Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Evel Knievel's legacy (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=9889)

Jerry Irvine 11-30-2011 12:57 PM

I saw a very successful steam rocket fly at RRS/MTA about 5 years ago or so. It was about 10-12" diameter and had a throat about 1/4". I think the ISP was 20-40. 1000-1300 psia peak.

Here is an image of an HTP steam rocket I "fired" with a measured ISP of 113.

Jerry

dyaugo 12-01-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Jay-

Thanks for the history note. Man, hard to believe that event is pushing in on 40 years ago. Seems 'almost' like yesterday. Us boys in the neighborhood followed his every jump, and the Snake River event was the drama of all dramas. Too bad that chute ejected (for whatever reason....don't know if I ever really remember hearing the exact fault reasoning on that part of the jump) on the way up the launch ramp.

For a 12 year old kid who loved riding a bike and jumping home made ramps about as much as rockets and space, there weren't too many mortals cooler than Knievel back in those days.

I got the Centuri Sky Cycle in '76 and it was one of my favorite flyers back then. Matter of fact, it still flys occasionally still.....original chute, shock cord and all.

Thanks for the memory 'jogger' Jay!

Earl

A true stunt man. Did all his stunts on a Harley. Lets see some of the guys today who jump on the new tech bikes pull some of those stunts off.

ghrocketman 12-01-2011 01:15 PM

TRUE stunt man because he was stupid enough to try them on a Hardly-Movingson ???
C'mon now.
He was entertaining at times but was about as smart as a bag full of hammers.

Chuckles WERE and STILL ARE great candy !
Even the Licorice one !

Kinda funny that Evel stiffed a bunch of backers on that idiotic attempt.
Anybody foolish enough to back something that moronic desrves to LOSE.

dyaugo 12-01-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
TRUE stunt man because he was stupid enough to try them on a Hardly-Movingson ???
C'mon now.
He was entertaining at times but was about as smart as a bag full of hammers.

Even the Licorice one !

Kinda funny that Evel stiffed a bunch of backers on that idiotic attempt.
Anybody foolish enough to back something that moronic desrves to LOSE.

Yeah and he always crashed too!!

You know he died Nov 30th 2007 would have been 4yrs yesterday

bob jablonski 12-02-2011 07:49 AM

Actually he started on a Triumph. Watch the Ceaser Palace jump (crash). When he was jumping the moderen dirt bikes were not around. I know of 3 riders that have jumped over 300ft. And EK said it would never be done...
Mr. Bob
Starlight dude

Gus 12-02-2011 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Even the Licorice one !

Always looking for areas where we agree, and this is another! :D

I would love to know the story of how Chuckles became a sponsor. I don't remember them ever sponsoring anything else. I always thought it was pure Evel to have such an unusual sponsor since he was such an unusual guy. And could there have been anything less likely to inspire "chuckles" than a guy with an insane plan to launch himself over a canyon in a home-built rocket motorcycle? Kinda like having the Chuckles logo on the wall at the Colosseum during the gladiator contests. :eek:

ghrocketman 12-02-2011 11:23 AM

Gus-
I LIKE that....sponsors on Coliseum walls during Gladiator contests.

B-D 000 surgical silk, Band-Aid, Jack Daniel's, Acme Casket Co., Purina LION Chow, and Lilly MORPHINE come to mind as logical sponsors.... :D :chuckle:

Too bad you still cant get the bags full of single-flavor Chuckles from the 70's....I'd buy a case of the Lime ones to go with a pallet of Burger Chef Super Shef burgers.

chrism 12-02-2011 08:04 PM

Chuckles candy home page

Here is a link to the famous Chuckles candy with its connection to the infamous Evel Knievel:

http://www.farleysandsathers.com/Ab...e.asp?BrandID=2

Tau Zero 12-03-2011 11:28 AM

Still "Chuckling" after all these years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
I would love to know the story of how Chuckles became a sponsor. I don't remember them ever sponsoring anything else. I always thought it was pure Evel to have such an unusual sponsor since he was such an unusual guy. And could there have been anything was less likely to inspire "chuckles" than a guy with an insane plan to launch himself over a canyon in a home-built rocket motorcycle? Kinda like having the Chuckles logo on the wall at the Colosseum during the gladiator contests. :eek:
Steve,

Scott Truax said the story he heard was that a representative from Chuckles showed up with a suitcase full of $25,000 in cash shortly before the jump. Scott says he heard that lots of Evel's deals were completed "under the table" like that.

"Less likely to inspire 'chuckles?'" Oh, believe me, there were *plenty* of people laughing at the prospect.

Some high school kids even painted a red and while bullseye on the north side of the canyon for Knievel to "hit." :rolleyes: ;) :D

More than 37 years later, people are *still* laughing. :D

Jerry Irvine 12-03-2011 12:18 PM

Despite his pecadillos and imperfections, he was a successful stunt man on the one metric that matters to stunt men. Media mind share.

The skycycle stunt did have a partial failure due to a mechanical error beyond the scope of the pilot.

I say partial failure because again, under the only metric of importance to a stunt man, it resulted in unprecedented media exposure and mind share. So much so, the majority of the population still knows about it and thinks about it.

You may poo poo a candy company sponsoring Knievel, but note this well. That was Nabisco, one of the largest food companies on the planet.

The $25k suitcase was possibly the best investment they ever made. That was pocket change for them!

Jerry