Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Very Large Alpha (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=19598)

MarkB. 06-01-2021 07:50 PM

Very Large Alpha

3 Attachment(s)
Comrades:

I thought I'd share a quick project with you: my Very Large Alpha. After buying a Mega Red Max and buying the parts for the new Big Red Max, I got to thinking what else could be easily upsized using genuine Estes parts on-line. So the body tubes are Pro Series 3" as is the coupler. Estes doesn't sell it in long enough lengths to do the Alpha without a coupler so I chose to put the coupler at the bottom and sand the ply rings to fit inside. The 3:1 nose cone is the Big Daddy cone. Fins are hand-cut 1/8 birch ply with 1/16 balsa skins on either side. The skins don't go through the wall, but the fins are glued to the 29mm motor tube. Rings are from JBassham on eBay.

The upscale is 3.074. There's some more clean-up and final fitting before I glue it all together, but I think you can see where it's headed.

First picture shows the whole thing mocked up next to my old Alpha.

Second picture shows the through-the-wall fins into the coupler with the locking ring.

Last picture shows the cap ring in place that will have triangle stock to further lock in the fins. The idea is to build it up to this point including the motor tube and then carefully add the long upper tube last.

This isn't a rush project, but I'll share more pictures as we go along.

LeeR 06-01-2021 08:30 PM

Looks great! Nice job on the fins!

I converted the Estes Panavia kit to a big Sky Hook. I went with my own basswood fins, hand cut.

I have a number of 3” tubes and Big Daddy nose cones. I think my next “classic upscale” might be the Astron Drifter.

Chas Russell 06-01-2021 09:46 PM

Really intriguing project, Mark. Have you seen James Duffy's youtube video on skinning fin frames with 1/64th plywood? Great video and would probably add some strength to those fins.
Looking forward to your build.

Chas

rocket.aero 06-01-2021 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
I thought I'd share a quick project with you: my Very Large Alpha. After buying a Mega Red Max and buying the parts for the new Big Red Max, I got to thinking what else could be easily upsized using genuine Estes parts on-line.

Very, very cool. I contend again that this forum needs a "like" button.

The new DBRM is indeed a wonderful starting point for a wide variety of intriguing projects. There's an upscaled Citation Patriot approaching completion that shares the basic DNA from that kit.

James

Ez2cDave 06-02-2021 03:36 PM

Mark,

Will you be using ESTES BP motors or going APCP ?

Dave F.

tbzep 06-02-2021 10:01 PM

Who else was thinking about this?

ghrocketman 06-03-2021 08:58 AM

I think we need both a "Like" button AND a "DISLIKE" button for posts here on YORF.
Without a DISLIKE button, I don't want a "Like" button. Need to have both or NONE.

tbzep 06-03-2021 01:46 PM

For us to get a like button, we would have to start paying $$$$$$$. New vBulletin or other forum software costs a chunk to have without annoying advertisements. I like the older simple format. I also like free stuff. ;)

MarkB. 06-03-2021 07:31 PM

Well, to answer Chas, I did think about 1/64 ply but it has gotten insanely expensive. I need to find a new supplier.

To answer Dave, initially BP but I'm open to APCP.

To answer Zep, I was. When I was there, the antenne were scattered all over the plain.

Finally, while I'm in agreement with the "Like" button, I agree more with free stuff. So if the choice is "Like" or free, I choose free.

More pictures soon.

And Lee, with additional tubing, both my DBRM (to be built with my nephew) and MDRM will be converted to the Long version, making them DLRM and MDLRM respectively

Ltvscout 06-03-2021 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.aero
Very, very cool. I contend again that this forum needs a "like" button.

Unfortunately, this old circa 2005 software I'm using does not support that feature.