Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Designer's Studio (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   BARCLONE Designer's Studio 2008 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=2163)

CPMcGraw 06-15-2008 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
...my middle-aged vision managed to misconstrue what I *now* perceive as (embarrassed look) the pencil mark for the upper root end of your fins...

Ahh, *now I see* said the blind carpenter as he picked up his hammer and saw...

I mentioned earlier, I think, about finally getting my official "old man's glasses", yes? Progressive tri-focals...

Never mind a smooth progression from single-vision to bi-focals, oh, no...

And never mind about seeing clearly, either. Depending on how I hold my head, I can see the world in various trapezoidal dimensions...

Some things still look like they belong in a Salvadore Dali painting...

James Pierson 06-15-2008 12:43 PM

Happy Father Day!

Originally Posted jay Quote:

Quote:
jay Another GREAT design James, I'm really digg'n this one!

Thanks jay, I am gald you enjoy it. The Sky Chieftain kind of reminds me of the Estes Sentinal in some ways.

Originally Posted CPMcGraw Quote:

Quote:
Nice work, JP. I take it this one has been built and flown?

Thanks Craig, but not built yet. I have too many others in the "Test Flight Pending" file for this design to even be concidered to be built. Getting to the launch field seems to be my Spring and Summer priorities and building things when the rain hits in the Fall and Winter months. Well at least here in the Rain Forest anyways.

Originally Posted CentutiGuyQuote:

Quote:
Actually, I was able to identify the Rocket Rack. However, my middle-aged vision managed to misconstrue what I *now* perceive as (embarrassed look) the pencil mark for the upper root end of your fins. (turning a deep shade of vermilion).

Key words here from our friendly Cameraman/Reporter are, Vision and Percieve. Must be that Idaho sun getting in your eyes again Jay. :D Please remind me what it looks like :confused: .

Happy Father Days To All.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

CPMcGraw 06-19-2008 09:20 PM

Something new for BARCLONE

I don't know where this is going to venture off to, but I just created a Wordpress blog for BARCLONE. My intent is to use it as a companion site to both the website, and to this forum. As Scott can attest to, he and I have had quite a difficult time trying to update the primary website with all of the designs that our team has produced. My attempts to create a working database-driven site have not met with success, so I made the decision to stop that work.

I am trying to get back to some serious model design work, and am spending some quality time getting to know my X-Acto knife again. :D I don't know how much content I can store right now on Wordpress, so I'm going to limit content for a while to just announcements of new designs and test flights.

This new site will in no way become a replacement for our YORF threads or the website. It's just an additional site to showcase the great work our little band of designers have been putting out. I hope it meets with everyone's approval.

The blog is active.

CPMcGraw 06-24-2008 02:40 PM

New Plan -- Ephemera

3 Attachment(s)
Now that I'm getting back into the design and build swing, I thought about another open-frame design to get one's teeth into. I think Ephemera does this well. RockSim says it has a 1.36 static margin with a C6-5, so if the calculations are correct, this should be a rock-steady bird.

Length: 30.50"
Diameter: 1.04" (ST-10)
Fin Span: 7.88"
Weight: 1.79 oz

A8-3......140'......Dv 17 FPS......48" x 3/16" rod (req LL-3 lugs)
B4-4......355'......Dv 10 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod
B6-4......360'......Dv 5 FPS.......36" x 1/8" rod
C6-5......800'......Dv 6 FPS.......36" x 1/8" rod

Skin the fins for strength, and it should hold up to repeated landings. I simmed with a 16" parachute, so the landing V would be low.

Enjoy!

James Pierson 06-25-2008 09:39 PM

Another excellent design Craig, I had no idea that there was ever a T-2 tube available. This design seems to have a real "Flow" to it :cool:.
Also I am wondering if you have a specific reason for placing the aft CR710 in a more forward position?

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

CPMcGraw 06-25-2008 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierson
Another excellent design Craig, I had no idea that there was ever a T-2 tube available. This design seems to have a real "Flow" to it :cool:.
Also I am wondering if you have a specific reason for placing the aft CR710 in a more forward position?

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

The T-2 is listed on TotallyTubular, so availability TBD. Maybe one day we can come up with enough designs using it for Carl to justify carrying it, too. :D

The aft CR-710 is 1" from the rear, which is a location I often place the ring at. Some plans only place it 3/4" from the rear, which I think is OK, but it makes the hook a bit stiff when it comes time to remove the spent casing. A stiff hook and a hot casing make it painful on older fingertips. :(

InFlight 06-25-2008 10:09 PM

Craig,

BMS has the T2 tubes in 34" lengths. Cat

CPMcGraw 06-25-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlight
Craig,

BMS has the T2 tubes in 34" lengths. Cat

VBG...:D

Thanks for the heads-up, Ray! I'll go take a look at BMS again.

CPMcGraw 06-27-2008 03:43 PM

New Plan -- Esquire

3 Attachment(s)
This is a kitbash, with parts added. Start with a SEMROC Squire for most components. You'll need to add a long 13mm motor tube, a TB-5 thrust block, four CR-58 rings, and the 3/32" hardwood dowels.

I took the Squire fins and open-framed them, then skinned them with label stock and CA. The forward fins came from the stock sheet, but were trimmed down to match the angle at the top of the main fins, so that the dowels would have a support. Cut the rear ST-8 at 4" long.

The motor mount only needs to be a thrust block, but you can take the long hook and the TB-7 that comes in the kit and still have a working hook retention for the 13mm motors...

Length: 19.70"
Diameter: 0.908" (ST-8)
Fin Span: 5.31"
Weight: 1.17 oz

1/2 A3-2T......90'......Dv 2.2 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod
A10-3T........225'......Dv 7 FPS........36" x 1/8" rod

The Squire kit makes a nice starting platform for many designs. Carl has at least a dozen variations shown in the instruction booklet just using the kit parts alone.

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw 06-28-2008 10:31 AM

Plan Revision -- Esquire

3 Attachment(s)
I spotted some inconsistencies between the posted RockSim plan and the version I'm actually building. They are minor, and probably won't affect the performance of any model built from the first version. I just wanted to be accurate (as far as it's possible with RS...) with the presentation.

There isn't enough of an appearance change to notice, just a slight repositioning of the fins.

Here's what really changed: The rear tube is 3.5" long, not 4". The core tube has an exposed length of 3.5" instead of 3". It is still 8" long. The rear fins are located 0.25" from the rear edge of the tube, and the forward fins and dowels are adjusted to fit.

CPMcGraw 06-28-2008 05:00 PM

New Plan - Nova

3 Attachment(s)
This is not exactly a "new" plan, but it's new to this thread. :rolleyes:

The model is a payloader, capable of handling a 1/2 oz mass in the payload compartment. You will notice the payload tube is shown as "CPT-10", which is not currently available. Just substitute an equal length section of ST-10.

This model has flown "in the wild".

Length: 20.70"
Diameter: 1.04" (ST-10)
Fin Span: 3.54"
Weight: 1.35 oz (empty)

A8-3......0.0 oz payload......202'......Dv 8 FPS.......36" rod
A8-3......0.5 oz payload......140'......Dv 19 FPS......40" rod
B6-4......0.0 oz payload......475'......Dv 14 FPS......36" rod
B6-4......0.5 oz payload......380'......Dv 12 FPS......36" rod
C6-5......0.0 oz payload......990'......Dv 14 FPS......36" rod
C6-5......0.5 oz payload......895'......Dv 17 FPS......36" rod

The A8-3 with a payload is not a recommended configuration. Only use this motor for initial test flights with no payload installed.

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw 06-28-2008 06:07 PM

Blog Reminder

I've been adding to the list of designs shown on the new blog. You'll find these on the COLLECTIVE INSANITY page. But I've been limiting these to only designs that have been built and flown, not just simulated in RockSim. If you're curious as to which ones are "fully proven", this is where you'll see them.

Also, as new designs are posted here on the forum, I will post them to the HOME category first, as well as to a new page later (it has not been created or named yet).

I'd like for all of the BARCLONE contributors to let me know which of their designs have been built and successfully flown, too, so that I can include them in the list. That way, you can get recognition for your work.

The blog is open for comments in the HOME and DESIGN CATALOG categories. The COLLECTIVE INSANITY page does not have any comment area for itself (I'm keeping it exclusively for designs), so use the DESIGN CATALOG comment area for feedback.

I'm still adding content, and I would like to include an ABOUT page with a bio of each BARCLONE contributor (especially our core contributors!). PM me here on YORF if you want to have something posted on the ABOUT page.

CPMcGraw 06-30-2008 03:54 PM

The "Big List" of BARCLONEs

Everyone, but especially all of the BARCLONE contributors...

I've just posted the master list of designs on the blogsite. There are 426 designs shown, and I know there are still a few missing for various reasons. There are also a few which have been posted here that I just haven't downloaded yet to my own computer, so they're not on the list, either. It's a long list!

Eventually, I hope to have a separate page for each design, or at least for each unique design. Each page will contain the links for PDF and RKT files available for download.

Some of these designs go back to January of 2003, so this marks a five-year journey into design and development. Go check out the list.

Maniac BAR 07-06-2008 01:02 AM

Proven designs

Craig, can I add that the Star Ranger has been completed and flown! :p

It's maiden flight was on a C6-5 and was textbook from start to finish. I just finished the full paint job and except for a minor change to the mid fin area it is just as the paint scheme I sent you.

Very nice design :) :p

CPMcGraw 07-06-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac BAR
Craig, can I add that the Star Ranger has been completed and flown! :p

It's maiden flight was on a C6-5 and was textbook from start to finish. I just finished the full paint job and except for a minor change to the mid fin area it is just as the paint scheme I sent you.

Very nice design :) :p

Great, Geoffrey! That really gives me the incentive to finish building up my copy. I have the body parts, just not the fins. Be sure to show me what you changed! :D :rolleyes:

I'll post the plan on the blog tonight.

James Pierson 07-06-2008 07:22 PM

CPMcGraw
Quote:
I've been adding to the list of designs shown on the new blog. You'll find these on the COLLECTIVE INSANITY page. But I've been limiting these to only designs that have been built and flown, not just simulated in RockSim. If you're curious as to which ones are "fully proven", this is where you'll see them.

Maybe we need to define "Fully Proven" :o I just cannot afford to "Prove" a design the way Vern did it and these motors are getting more expensive by the minute :mad: .
I'm thinking, "Fully Proven" should be three good flights and recovery with the largest motor the design was intended to fly with. Feel free to jump in anyone???

Quote:
I'd like for all of the BARCLONE contributors to let me know which of their designs have been built and successfully flown, too, so that I can include them in the list. That way, you can get recognition for your work.

I be glad to make that list as soon as I figure out which ones they are :rolleyes: . My trouble lately is figuring out which designs are "Finished/Done" as I always seem to think of minor & major imporvements.

Quote:
I'm still adding content, and I would like to include an ABOUT page with a bio of each BARCLONE contributor (especially our core contributors!). PM me here on YORF if you want to have something posted on the ABOUT page.

I will find the time to work on the bio soon Craig.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

PS. I managed to get a few front yard test flights in on the 4th. I have converted Sky Champ to 18mm and had a good flight on an A8-3 and a beautiful flight :D B6-4 to about 400 feet. I need to stretch this design another inch to make more room for the 12 inch parachute though as it is too tight of a pack. Barclone flight report upcoming!

Maniac BAR 07-06-2008 10:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Great, Geoffrey! That really gives me the incentive to finish building up my copy. I have the body parts, just not the fins. Be sure to show me what you changed! :D :rolleyes:

I'll post the plan on the blog tonight.

Sorry, I did not mean for it to sound like I changed the rocket, only the paint scheme. :o

I extended the black color on the mid fins onto the tube as well. It is now a black strip going from one mid fin to the other. It seemed as though the white body tube needed some kind of color break and that was a convienent place to do it.

However, in my frantic, late night build session, as the norm, I did not read the RockSim parts list correctly. I cut a slew of launch lugs to length and glued them together in pairs. Then marked off the distance from the base of the rocket and started to glue them to the body tube. I was quite supprised when I ran out of the number of tubes called for on the file and was still only about halfway around the body tube. :o

After rereading the file, I realized that I had used 1/8 lugs instead of what was called out. :rolleyes:

Since the others were all ready attached, I just continued to add more of the smaller ones until they went all around. To tell the truth, I think they look better since they don't stick out as far. They are more compact and look like some kind of radiator. I painted them silver to accent the look. It also gave me a convenient place to put the actual launch lug to clear the nose cone section. Worked out great!!

Hope you don't mind the change. :eek:

P.S. The nose cone itself is red. Doesn't look it in the photo.

CPMcGraw 07-06-2008 11:08 PM

Quote:
...Maybe we need to define "Fully Proven"...I'm thinking, "Fully Proven" should be three good flights and recovery with the largest motor the design was intended to fly with...

I should have been clearer. What I meant was, these are designs that have been built with real parts, and have been flown with real motors from their respective motor call-out list. Even a single successful flight qualifies. My feeling here is, if the ascent is stable and does not exhibit any bad habits, then the flight is successful. Deployment failure does not necessarily mean a design failure...:p

Quote:
...glad to make that list as soon as I figure out which ones they are...

Use my simplified criteria above. If it has flown at least once in the "real world", with a clean ascent, then let's use it. Recovery failures can be corrected without a redesign of the airframe...

Quote:
I will find the time to work on the bio soon Craig.

Thanks, JP.

CPMcGraw 07-06-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac BAR
I extended the black color on the mid fins onto the tube as well. It is now a black strip going from one mid fin to the other. It seemed as though the white body tube needed some kind of color break and that was a convienent place to do it.

I like the general color pattern. If I were to do a full set of decals, I might want additional panels to be highlighted. I'm not getting into decals for this one...:o

Quote:
...in my frantic, late night build session, as the norm, I did not read the RockSim parts list correctly...After rereading the file, I realized that I had used 1/8 lugs...To tell the truth, I think they look better since they don't stick out as far. They are more compact and look like some kind of radiator...gave me a convenient place to put the actual launch lug to clear the nose cone section. Worked out great!!

That's sorta what those lugs are supposed to be, a cooling radiator. Silver looks good. Gold, with black edging, might also look good. And no, I don't mind the change at all! I figure, real capital ships (like cruise liners) would see variations over their service life, so your representation just means one service version in that ship's lifespan. :D

CPMcGraw 07-11-2008 03:48 PM

New Plan -- Wave Rider

3 Attachment(s)
This is a fantasy-sport model that I originally thought might be a good boost-glider. It might actually glide, if properly trimmed, and could be adapted as a parasite glider. For this post, I went with a 13mm mount so it could be flown in smaller fields.

Length: 16.700"
Fin Span: 7.408"
Weight: 1.29 oz

One note to consider: The cheek cowls and the canopy are shown as solid balsa. If these are hollowed out, or if a lightweight cardstock canopy and cowls can be fabricated, this weight should be lower, and the resulting altitudes would be higher.

1/2 A3-2T......79'.......Dv 2 FPS.......36" x 1/8" rod
A10-3T.........210'......Dv 8 FPS.......36" x 1/8" rod

Enjoy!

InFlight 07-11-2008 08:58 PM

Craig,

I see you're on a roll again. ;) that Wave Rider looks really sweet!
For fun, how about a second version with some open frame designage.

PS: I know it wont glide if there are holes in the fins but it would look cool. :D

CPMcGraw 07-11-2008 10:03 PM

New Plan -- Wave Rider B

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlight
Craig,

I see you're on a roll again. ;) that Wave Rider looks really sweet!
For fun, how about a second version with some open frame designage.

PS: I know it wont glide if there are holes in the fins but it would look cool. :D

Just for you, Ray!

Weight is now 1.23 oz.

1/2 A3-2T......83'......Dv 1 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod
A10-3T........224'......Dv 5 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw 07-12-2008 04:22 PM

New Plan -- Wave Rider Boost Vehicle

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a 13mm power pod for launching the Wave Rider as a glider. Remember, as a glider, the Wave Rider should have no motor mount.

Locate the CP on the glider, and position it directly above the "sleeve" shown at the CP location of the pod. This keeps both CPs together for the boost phase.

Mount a short piece of launch lug on the step of the upper fin on the pod. Similar to that found on the Orbital Transport orbiter, position a hold-down dowel on the bottom of the Wave Rider so that it aligns with the lug.

Remember to trim the glider for a stable flight, using trim tabs. Adjust the balance point with clay, as needed, to produce a modest straight-line glide with only a gentle loss of altitude.

Also remember, this is yet to be flight-tested... :D

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw 07-13-2008 01:53 PM

New Plan -- Pulsar

3 Attachment(s)
A performance design for 13mm motors, but with a little more style than typically found. Also qualifies as a "Schoolyard Sounder".

Length: 14.70"
Fin Span: 4.66"
Weight: 0.81 oz

A3-4T......420'......Dv 4 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw 07-13-2008 02:52 PM

New Plan -- Fury

3 Attachment(s)
Another in the "Empyria" class, just shorter.

Length: 18.20"
Diameter: 1.04"
Fin Span: 5.04"
Weight: 1.84 oz

B4-4......315'......Dv 18 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod
B6-4......325'......Dv 15 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod
C6-5......730'......Dv 16 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw 07-14-2008 06:12 PM

New Plan -- Puma

3 Attachment(s)
Another "Schoolyard Sounder"...

Length: 15.375"
Fin Span: 5.16"
Weight: 0.84 oz

A3-4T......412'......Dv 5 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw 07-15-2008 10:37 PM

New Plan -- Draggin'

3 Attachment(s)
So, we have here a stretched, ST-8 version of the old Estes Sprite, doctored up with open-frame fins. It calls for the A10-3T exclusively, as the drag from that ringtail is whacko!

...And thus the name...

It's also a "Schoolyard Sounder"...

Length: 16.601"
Fin Span: 3.906"
Weight: 1.03 oz

A10-3T......195'......Dv 21 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod

Enjoy!

James Pierson 07-15-2008 10:59 PM

New Design: Ion Explorer 13mm

3 Attachment(s)
Yep, Craig seems to be on a roll here. Maybe I should just stay out of the way before I get runned over :D . Keep them coming Craig!

Here is a design that I have downscaled from it's original version to a ST-5 main BT just so I could use the Semroc BC-523 for a nose cone. It has been built and flown on an 1/2 A3T-2 to an altitude of around 90 feet in the front yard. I packed the recovery wadding too tight and the streamer failed to fully deploy resulting in a busted off fin at ground inpact. Easily and quickly fixed. My plan in the future for this one is back its original size while still keeping the look of the BC-523 which will be upscaled as well.

Ion Explorer ST-5 13mm
Launch guide length: 36.0000 In

MOTOR.................MAX. ALTITUDE...........DEP. VELOCITY
1/2A3T-2 .............145.64370 Ft.............17.7475 ft/s
A10T-3................302.26706 Ft.............1.2592 ft/s

Thanks Again and Enjoy, JP.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

CPMcGraw 07-15-2008 11:25 PM

Quote:
Yep, Craig seems to be on a roll here. Maybe I should just stay out of the way before I get runned over :D . Keep them coming Craig!

CLICK HERE

Quote:
Ion Explorer ST-5 13mm

1/2A3T-2 .............145.64370 Ft.............17.7475 ft/s
A10T-3................302.26706 Ft.............1.2592 ft/s

Good numbers on the altitudes and Dv, James. Nice and gentle over the top on that A10, and not excessively stressful on the 1/2A3-2. I've really liked this design, too. It has a late-70-early-80-ish Estes feel to it.

Don't wait for me to post, James. Look how long it took for me to get back in the swing of things - nearly two years. We need lots of regular design posts to keep the juices flowing.

We also still need 53 designs to reach 500... :D

James Pierson 07-16-2008 12:01 AM

CPMcgarw Quote:
Quote:
Don't wait for me to post, James. Look how long it took for me to get back in the swing of things - nearly two years. We need lots of regular design posts to keep the juices flowing.

We also still need 53 designs to reach 500...

My brain seems to be stuck in the finish what I got mode. I also seem to be very lost in files and need to take the time to see what I have or haven't posted, built, ubuilt, proven etc.. etc.. etc... Anyways, I sure will do what I can to help reach that 500 mark. I need to study the new Semroc nose cones and see what I can come up with ;) .

Thanks, JP.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

CPMcGraw 07-16-2008 03:59 PM

New Plan -- Iapetus

3 Attachment(s)
Borrowing something from James Pierson here... :eek:

This design is "Saturn-like", with similarities to JP's Tranquility models. I'm using smaller tank tubes (and more of them), along with a 24mm mount for taking an E9-6. More powerful RMS-type motors could also be fitted with the proper delays, though I haven't simulated them.

The D12-5 has too high a Dv (over 30 FPS), so don't use it.

E9-6......1700'......Dv 19 FPS......48" x 3/16" rod

Important note: Yes, the tank tubes have to be trimmed just a little to fit them onto the ST-9 core tube. Cut a wedge out of each tube to allow the tanks to fit closer to the core, and so that all 10 fit inside the ST-16 tubes. Since the tank tubes are just for show and are not functional, they should also be plugged at the top to prevent deployment gasses from escaping.

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw 07-16-2008 04:27 PM

The number is now 52 before we cross 500... :D

Ltvscout 07-16-2008 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Borrowing something from James Pierson here... :eek:

This design is "Saturn-like", with similarities to JP's Tranquility models. I'm using smaller tank tubes (and more of them), along with a 24mm mount for taking an E9-6. More powerful RMS-type motors could also be fitted with the proper delays, though I haven't simulated them.

Cool! I was going to say more "Recruiter" like.

CPMcGraw 07-17-2008 10:50 AM

The blog now has a long list of "In The Wild" BARCLONEs, meaning those designs which have actually been built and flown. Right now, I'm adding a bunch of James Pierson's designs to this list. His collection of flown designs is about as long as (if not longer than) mine.

I'm still looking for folks to let me know if they've built a BARCLONE and flown it, so that I can add it to this special list.

CPMcGraw 07-18-2008 02:11 PM

New Plan -- Rapier

3 Attachment(s)
Staying in the ST-8 "Schoolyard Sounders" series for a while longer...

This is a simple, high-performance design for 13mm A3-4 motors. It provides great altitude (400') with very low Dv numbers (less than 5 FPS) while still looking sharp and stylish.

Length: 17.453"
Fin Span: 3.88"
Weight: 0.9 oz

A3-4T......401'......Dv 5 FPS (highest of 10 sims).......36" x 1/8" rod
A3-4T......402'......Dv 0.6 FPS (lowest of 10 sims)......36" x 1/8" rod

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw 07-18-2008 02:13 PM

The magic number is now 51... :D

There are several of James Pierson's designs that haven't been added, so this number is likely to change.

JP, you need to clean out your PM box... :o

James Pierson 07-18-2008 08:05 PM

CPMcGraw
Quote:
JP, you need to clean out your PM box... :o

I did, I did. try to resend them :rolleyes: .

Thanks, Sorry, JP.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

James Pierson 07-19-2008 10:40 PM

New Design: Smarty

4 Attachment(s)
Here is a design that shows my rethinking of the 13mm powered design. I am keepimg them smaller and lightwieght and using the ST-10 tube which is much easier to pack and recovery device in. I hope to come up with some good variations of this basic design in the months to come. This particular Smarty design can be recovered with either an streamer and/or parachute depending on your launch field conditions.

Enjoy and Thanks Again, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Smarty (13mm)

1/2A3T-4..............238.78839 Ft.............18.9038 ft/s
A3T-4.....................568.31037 Ft.............19.7759 ft/s

CPMcGraw 07-22-2008 10:09 AM

Magic Number Update

James Pierson 07-23-2008 09:35 PM

New Design: The Ballista 2

4 Attachment(s)
Here is another design that keep growing over the months of development. I think it started out as a small lander and just kept growing into a sleek, long design. And yet, once again, that Tau nose cones really finishes off this bullet like design. The split upper and lower launch lug method I have been using seem to work well when the CG is in an difficult place. Also seems to be a good method to help hide those ugly launch lug stand-off fins.

FYI: The numbers after the design name is just for me keeping track on all the designs on what version I am working on and like the best. :rolleyes:

Enjoy and Thanks Again, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

The Ballista (18mm)

B4-4..................336.85235 Ft.............14.0138 ft/s
B6-4..................342.88691 Ft..............9.8087 ft/s
C6-5..................743.91689 Ft.............13.7583 ft/s