Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Designer's Studio (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Scrounged-Up Designs 2006 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=192)

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-27-2005 02:28 AM

I have the parts collected and partially cut out for an ESS Raven clone, but I've planned for it to be D or E powered from the start.
But I also bought some Silly Putty when I was buying my engines on Saturday so that I could try my hand at a BT-60 upscale. (It was right there at the checkout, just calling to me. ;) )

Ltvscout 06-27-2005 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I didn't think you'd be able to resist that challenge. I've laid in a supply of C5-3's that I plan to fly it on. I was a little iffy about the C6-5. I've got mine laid out as a three fin rocket. The fins are HUGE!
I call it the Cosmik Debris. :D (Dinah-Mo-Humm didn't quite fit for some reason.)

Don't forget Quest is coming out with their 18mm D which would work great with these large 18mm designs Craig has.

I haven't seen any loaded motor weight specs yet, bet the empty casing I held at NARCON felt lighter than an empty Estes paper 18mm casing.

Ltvscout 06-27-2005 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
The C5-3 will only give you a 25' altitude advantage over the C6-5, and a 500 fps acceleration rate versus a 314 fps rate. However, this is interesting -- the deployment velocity with the C5-3 is 25 fps, while the C6-5 allows a 40 fps deployment rate.

You thus have a choice: Do I shred now, or shred later? :eek:

Good name. Fits the concept, I think. Another SPEV...

Craig...

Did you try the sim with a C6-3? Also, try it with Quest C6 motors. They are different from Estes C6's.

Ltvscout 06-27-2005 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac BAR
Hey Scott! When I did the design work on RS 7 I had no problem with the "fiddly" parts. The body side tubes are also in the proper positions on the main body tube in each of the other views on the sim. Is there a problem with version 8?

George,

I think you meant to direct your message to Bill or Craig. Anywho, if you send a zip of your rkt file to Craig or attach it to a message here, we can include it on the BARCLONE website.

CPMcGraw 06-27-2005 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Did you try the sim with a C6-3? Also, try it with Quest C6 motors. They are different from Estes C6's.

Scott,

Tried the Estes C6-3 just now on the 741 version. This actually works better, deployment is pre-apogee, about 4' before max altitude, with a 22.5 fps deployment velocity. Still requires a 76" launch rod, however. It's the degree of kick at ignition. The C5 had plenty, the C6 is terribly weak for this model. The model weight is 4.7 oz with the C6 loaded, and 3.9 oz empty.

Using the Quest C6-3, the performance was about the same, maybe even a bit less overall, but there is a big difference in the kick off the pad. It gets to flight speed at 47".

I'd like to see that Quest 18mm D when it becomes available. As long as it has the kick of the C5, these models should perform better. If the C5 can get 400', then a D should easily get 600'-750' without any trouble.

Craig

Eagle3 06-27-2005 11:49 AM

Hey Craig, have you tried any of the RMS 18mm D's or the single use D21? I bet that D21 will do the trick. :D

CPMcGraw 06-27-2005 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
Hey Craig, have you tried any of the RMS 18mm D's or the single use D21? I bet that D21 will do the trick. :D

I just ran the Aerotech D13 and D21 motors, and got some good results:

D13 reaches flight V at 25", the D21 reaches flight V at 17"...

D13 deployment V is 47.5 fps, D21 deployment V is 30.9 fps...

D13 altitude is 1008', D21 altitude is 1037'...

HOWEVER...

D13 Max Acceleration is 477.4 fps/s, and Max V is 325 fps, but the D21 reaches 744 fps/s, with Max V at 392 fps. Both of these may kill the model before it reaches altitude... :(

Craig

Eagle3 06-27-2005 12:45 PM

I would think it would survive the D13, but the D21 is a monster. I watched a Little Ivan do a strip tease yesterday on a E25, which is just s slightly hotter D21.

BTW - D21's are excellent motors for the Centuri Argus and Estes Interceptor. :D

CPMcGraw 06-27-2005 12:48 PM

Quote:
D13 Max Acceleration is 477.4 fps/s, and Max V is 325 fps, but the D21 reaches 744 fps/s, with Max V at 392 fps. Both of these may kill the model before it reaches altitude...

Just ran a quickie on these numbers...

D13 = 221.6 MPH...

D21 = 267.3 MPH...

Someone with more technical flight experience can suggest whether this might result in a shred for this design. The model as-designed does not use TTW fins. This might be an issue with 1/8" balsa...

TTW and 3/16" balsa might be a better construction choice...

Craig

CPMcGraw 06-27-2005 12:54 PM

Quote:
BTW - D21's are excellent motors for the Centuri Argus and Estes Interceptor. :D

Is that for an original, unmodified Interceptor, or one that has been engineered for high-acceleration boosts?

Craig

Eagle3 06-27-2005 01:09 PM

Bone stock. It's so old the white paint is almost as yellowed as the decals. :p The last two times I flew it was with D21's and they were great flights. I've since retired it until I can clean it up and get some new decals on it.

dtomko 06-27-2005 02:15 PM

I flew my Interceptor clone, made using the Moldin' Oldies parts, last weekend and it was marginal on a C6-3. It was a tad windy, but I'm not sure I will repeat with a C. The resin pfin pods shift more weight toward the rear, I suppose.
Drew Tomko

CPMcGraw 06-27-2005 11:45 PM

New Plan -- Wasp

2 Attachment(s)
Uses 13mm motors...

A3-4T reaches 339', with a 17.3 fps deployment V. A10-3T reaches 324' with a deployment V of 8.3 fps, but an acceleration of 1448 fps/s.

Skill Level 3...

Plan shows a balsa 50Y with a shaped balsa cockpit added. Cut the pattern oversize in the height, then conform the curve to the 50Y. Angle the sides of the canopy in toward the top for a better appearance.

Another in the Schoolyard Sounders series..

Enjoy!

Craig McGraw

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-28-2005 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomko
I flew my Interceptor clone, made using the Moldin' Oldies parts, last weekend and it was marginal on a C6-3. It was a tad windy, but I'm not sure I will repeat with a C. The resin pfin pods shift more weight toward the rear, I suppose.
Drew Tomko

I've got one of these ready to go also. Sounds like it might be worth thinking about going with a 24mm engine mount if I ever get that far.
Any pics?

Eagle3 06-28-2005 07:11 AM

Quote:
Drew Tomko

The clone I saw fly Sunday was built with a 24mm mount and moldin oldies parts. It wobbled and spun a little, not straight and true like I'm used to seeing them fly. I didn't get a close up look to check fin alignment. I'm leaning towards building my clone with a 24mm mount. When it's done I can compare the CG with my old orginal kit. I wonder if Carl's Krellvinator can spit out some laser cut Interceptor fins. :D

dtomko 06-28-2005 07:15 AM

Quote:
I've got one of these ready to go also. Sounds like it might be worth thinking about going with a 24mm engine mount if I ever get that far.
Any pics?

Bunch of shots of build and finished and decaled here:
http://www.rocketryforum.com/showth...ne&pagenumber=1

Somewhere I have a shot of it on the pad at NERRF, but no flight pics; it was pretty wobbly going up.
It would probably be fine on a C5-3; I have one of those left. I may try one of the new Quest 18mm Ds when they come out, but I'm afraid of fin shredding. If you do convert to 24mm, you might need to do some work on the tailcone to make the mount fit.

JRThro 06-28-2005 09:21 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking this Floyd reunion is going to be like the Guess Who reunion of a few years back. Everyone will have their own quadrant of the stage to prowl and none of the others will be allowed to cross predetermined lines. No looking at one another either. Sounds good on paper, but I'll call it a success when an album of new, collaborative material shows up in stores. Shall I start holding my breath? :rolleyes:

Not if you expect to remain conscious until the concert, man.

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-28-2005 03:41 PM

Quote:
If you do convert to 24mm, you might need to do some work on the tailcone to make the mount fit.

Okay. Everybody say "DUH, BILL!" I completely forgot about the tail cone. :D

dtomko 06-28-2005 03:50 PM

Quote:
Okay. Everybody say "DUH, BILL!" I completely forgot about the tail cone. :D

D'oh! There's not a lot of room around the 18mm tube in the tailcone, but nothing a Dremel couldn't take care of

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-28-2005 04:01 PM

I almost killed my Semroc Taurus with my Dremel. I'm not detail oriented enough to start trying to modify things like the tail cone with it. The resin dust isn't something I'd like to be working in a cloud of either. :eek:

dtomko 06-28-2005 04:07 PM

Another option would be to have the 24mm tube stick out from the main BT and glue strips of balsa to it to simulate the ridges on the original tailcone. Since it's painted black it would probably look pretty close.

"The resin dust isn't something I'd like to be working in a cloud of either."

Sometimes I feel like I'm working in a cloud of "ether" :p

CPMcGraw 06-29-2005 03:59 PM

Updated RKT File -- 1987 Catalog Parts Demo

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac BAR
When I did the design work on RS 7 I had no problem with the "fiddly" parts. The body side tubes are also in the proper positions on the main body tube in each of the other views on the sim. Is there a problem with version 8?

Attached is an updated RS8 version of the 87 Catalog Demo. After seeing what Geoffrey had in his RKT file, I now understand a little more of what he was doing. I also understand now why he didn't see my tube fins when viewing the file in RS7.

When I whipped up my RKT file, I took advantage of RS8 having a "Tube Fin" feature, which RS7 doesn't have. RS7 cannot recognize the script, and so it omits trying to draw the tubes. Geoffrey used a simple "inside tube" approach, which is all that RS7 offered. I can see his RKT file completely, but he cannot see mine because of the RS8-specific scripting.

Craig McGraw

Ltvscout 06-29-2005 07:37 PM

Quote:
Attached is an updated RS8 version of the 87 Catalog Demo. After seeing what Geoffrey had in his RKT file, I now understand a little more of what he was doing. I also understand now why he didn't see my tube fins when viewing the file in RS7.

Cool. I like how the little dowels just float out in the air. Less drag that way! ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-29-2005 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Cool. I like how the little dowels just float out in the air. Less drag that way! ;)

:D :D :D

CPMcGraw 07-18-2005 09:42 PM

New Plan -- Kryton

2 Attachment(s)
Here's another ring-fin, this time for 13mm motors. The A10-3T is the only recommended motor for this design, as the A3-4T deploys the parachute at too high a velocity. The maximum altitude is only about 190'.

Skill Level 2...

Schoolyard Sounders series.

CPMcGraw 07-21-2005 12:13 AM

New Plan -- Aerobee-Hi 60

2 Attachment(s)
This plan is modernized and updated from a design I saw about 15 years ago by Pete Alway, in AmericanSpacemodeling magazine. His design was intended to be a gap-staged full-stack Aerobee-Hi, using a BT-60 upper body and a BT-55 booster. His original design was truly gap-staged, with a wide open area between the stages, per the prototype.

The BARCLONE version is just the upper stage of this stack, as I don't have the drawings for the booster available anymore. This version is a 181% upscale of the BARCLONE Aerobee-Hi, which was itself a 10% upscale of the original MMI-EIRP version. This model uses a SEMROC turned balsa nosecone following the dimensions of the currently-OOP PNC-60RL. (Please note: The SEMROC version also doesn't yet exist, but I'm hoping our good friend Carl will see his way to replicating it and making it available on his website).

Skill Level 1. Not a difficult model at all, in this configuration.

Flies to 900' on a D12-5; 1936' on an E15-7; 2336' on an F21W-8.

Respectable performance, I'd say... :cool:

Enjoy!

Eagle3 07-21-2005 07:55 AM

Sweet Craig. I can get you the booster dimensions, but you're going to have a helluva time with the interstage posts. I'd just go CHAD and make it one solid tube up the sustainer. :D

Pete built this around the same time I built a gap-staged Standard Missile 2 ER. Both models staged well except when Pete tried a B4 for the upper stage once and it didn't ignite. My SM-2 had the problem where the booster was stable after staging and cored in most of the time. That lead me to work on some gap stage booster recovery ideas.

CPMcGraw 07-23-2005 09:34 PM

New Plan -- Cormes Protectorate Drakken Defender

2 Attachment(s)
Long title, but a good performer on a B6-4 or a C6-5. The Drakken Defender is a "family member" to the Empyria, Rampage, Scorpion, and Spectre.

Skill Level 3. A PDF of this design is almost ready, and it contains additional detailing pieces; the wing tips are 1/8" dowels and there are some small fins that are attached to the engine pod tubes.

(Cormes is pronounced KOR-meez...)

CPMcGraw 07-23-2005 09:45 PM

Quote:
I can get you the booster dimensions, but you're going to have a helluva time with the interstage posts.

Thanks, Buzz. I could use them...

I remember the AmSpaM article, and Pete's construction method of using a JT-60 coupler epoxied to the struts; I'll probably just "borrow" that method, unless I can develop something more rugged and stout. If his method worked reasonably well most of the time, it still will... :D

EchoVictor 07-23-2005 10:25 PM

Quote:
Long title, but a good performer on a B6-4 or a C6-5. The Drakken Defender is a "family member" to the Empyria, Rampage, Scorpion, and Spectre.

Craig, I dig the design a lot, but the name makes me wonder when you'll have a black and light green design with "She-Go" in the name. :D (Those of you with kids will understand)...

Later,
EV

CPMcGraw 07-23-2005 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
Craig, I dig the design a lot, but the name makes me wonder when you'll have a black and light green design with "She-Go" in the name. :D (Those of you with kids will understand)...

Since I'm blissfully still a kid myself (even if I am 43...) :cool: and a batchelor (how could I afford rockets AND a wife?) :D with NO kids :p , that reference just whizzes over my head without so much as registering a raised eyebrow. :o

Do I even WANT to know? :eek:

CPMcGraw 07-23-2005 11:28 PM

New Plan -- Vindicator

2 Attachment(s)
OK...

It's black and light green... :D

Not the highest performer, but probably loud and slow, with lots of latent smoke... :cool:

Enjoy!

EchoVictor 07-23-2005 11:59 PM

http://psc.disney.go.com/disneychan...ains/index.html

Scroll through the "Villain Files" and you'll see what I'm talkin' about....

Later,
EV

CPMcGraw 07-24-2005 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
Scroll through the "Villain Files" and you'll see what I'm talkin' about....

OK, I get the connection now... :)

I'll think about it... :rolleyes:

CPMcGraw 08-10-2005 09:31 PM

New Plan -- Snitch 324

2 Attachment(s)
I see there are some cluster fanatics on this forum... :D

OK.

Here's a BARCLONE cluster that should prove popular, if you can lathe out the nose cone!

Length: 59.22"
Diameter: 2.80" (SEMROC ST-275)
Fin Span: 11.84"
Weight Empty: 31.33 oz
Motors: 3
Motor Diameter: 24 mm
Suggested Motors: D12-3, E28-8, F32-10

Simulated Flight Specs:

On D12's, altitude = 295', deployment V = 11.38 fps
On E28's, altitude = 1386', deployment V = 5.4 fps
On F32's, altitude = 3187', deployment V = 17.82 fps

CPMcGraw 08-18-2005 08:35 PM

New Plan -- Blue Sneek 2

4 Attachment(s)
Blue Sneek 2 is the two-stage progression of the Blue Sneek design. This model uses all SEMROC components and is simple to build.

Length: 28.2"
Fin Span: 4.54"
Body Diameter: 1.04" (ST-10)
Weight: 2.1821 oz

Performance:

B6-0/A8-5, 550'+, 17 fps deployment V, 48" rod required
C6-0/A8-5, 940'+, 5.8 fps deployment V, 48" rod required
C6-0/B6-6, 1170'+, 9.13 fps deployment V, 48" rod required

Enjoy!

Tau Zero 08-18-2005 09:59 PM

Big Blue Sneekers (TM)

Quote:
Blue Sneek 2 is the two-stage progression of the Blue Sneek design. This model uses all SEMROC components and is simple to build.

Length: 28.2"
Fin Span: 4.54"
Body Diameter: 1.04" (ST-10)
Weight: 2.1821 oz

So if I hack off the second stage, I'll already have a RockSim file for the original Blue Sneek? :confused: (which is conspicuous by its absence at BarClone)

Cheers,

--Jay

CPMcGraw 08-19-2005 12:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
So if I hack off the second stage, I'll already have a RockSim file for the original Blue Sneek? :confused: (which is conspicuous by its absence at BarClone)

Cheers,

--Jay

Not quite...

There should be a PDF of the original version up on BARCLONE...

The original Blue Sneek used a 12" body tube. I wasn't using RockSim at the time I drew up that version. I created a RKT version much later -- after I had built my prototype. When Scott gets all of the latest updates to YORP and BARCLONE put up on the websites, an updated PDF and a RKT file of the Blue Sneek will be part of it.

I'll put the Blue Sneek RKT file up now, though, for comparison...

A8-3........163'.............10.3 fps
B4-4........436'.............7.9 fps
C6-5........1041'............28.2 fps

CPMcGraw 08-22-2005 12:28 PM

EIRP #77 Stratos

2 Attachment(s)
A question about the stability of this model came up on the OldRockets list, and I wanted to see what the issue was. The model, as described in the plans, is tail-heavy and needs ballast to make it fly correctly.

Attached is a quickie-RKT file minus the tip fins and the elevator. While the tip fins do correct for yaw, the elevator in this simulation would aggravate the negative balance problem. Granted, the simulation is not fully accurate for this reason, but that is a limitation of the current version of the software.

A8-3......218'........3.6 fps
B4-4......531'.......20.5 fps
B6-4......540'.......25.2 fps
C6-5......1151'......32.2 fps
C6-7......1162'......31.4 fps

Tau Zero 08-22-2005 11:19 PM

Big Blue "Sneekers"

Quote:
Not quite...

There should be a PDF of the original version up on BARCLONE...

The original Blue Sneek used a 12" body tube. I wasn't using RockSim at the time I drew up that version.
Funny, now that I see the two versions together... I find I actually prefer the 18" version, but as a single-stager. Kind of a Blue Sneek Stretch. :eek: :p

(Hmm... An entry for the possible Semroc plan book?) ;) :D

Cheers,

--Jay