Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Lead Nose Weights (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=19324)

ghrocketman 02-14-2021 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lead Fishing weights are still available as far as I know.
One of few Lead uses the mamby-pambys haven't got banned.

You can still get the attached box pic if you know where to look.

olDave 02-14-2021 08:49 PM

when I needed nose weight, I usually tried to get it as far forward as possible and was able to use a bit less weight to achieve the same c.g. shift.

I drilled a hole into the base of the balsa NC, filled it with the necessary amount of lead shot (local sporting goods stores carry shotgun shells), and capped it with a plug of glue or epoxy. It always stayed put just fine.

If the NC is big and long enough to leave empty space in the hole, you can plug the hole with a short piece of dowel and have a solid hard spot to insert the screw-eye

Chas Russell 07-20-2021 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally finished the Estes Apogee II clone. Neal Miller helped me out with the nose weights and sent me a couple of decals. Despite the use of decal film, I managed to botch the "Apogee II" decal. The picture doesn't show the florescent orange very well.

Chas

ghrocketman 07-20-2021 09:53 PM

Very nice, Chas.
You can see the lead nose weights too.
Fluorescent colors never seem to show as vibrant when photographed.

Chas Russell 07-21-2021 12:48 PM

Thanks. The plans call for one lead nose weight under the balsa nose block and the second on the nose cone. I am assuming that they went that way to use their standard screw eyes.

Chas

stefanj 07-21-2021 03:12 PM

Many years ago, I ordered a sheet of lead from McMaster Carr. I bought a circular punch, a bit undersized, to make holes. I made maybe a dozen punches and the sheet is barely touched!

I should make a point of knocking out a few hundred circles and selling them.

Andy63 07-21-2021 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Many years ago, I ordered a sheet of lead from McMaster Carr. I bought a circular punch, a bit undersized, to make holes. I made maybe a dozen punches and the sheet is barely touched!

I should make a point of knocking out a few hundred circles and selling them.

Well, you're not alone in that! :)

Blastfromthepast 08-03-2021 10:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
tdracer,
Would this happen to be the device you used to make payload weights back in the day?
This was built by Bill Roe of Colorado Springs, and was on display at the 60th Old Rocketeer Reunion in August 2018 at Pueblo.

Chas Russell 08-03-2021 10:27 AM

That device was for making the one ounce lead weights that were the standard payload weights for competition. This thread is about the lead weights that Estes offered for stability or ballast.
Still, I had never seen Bill Roe's device. He was an early NAR member and official Bill was also the Contest Director at NARAM-11 in Colorado Springs in 1969 - my first NARAM.
Thanks for posting the picture. I thought that I still had a 1 ounce weight, but haven't run across it in a last few decades.

Chas

A Fish Named Wallyum 08-03-2021 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
The picture doesn't show the florescent orange very well.

Chas

Try it out in the sun. :cool: