Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Mission Control (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   My leadoff flight from the Sunday WSR launch (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=19085)

A Fish Named Wallyum 12-09-2020 03:09 PM

My leadoff flight from the Sunday WSR launch

1 Attachment(s)
Kinda says it all. :chuckle: Amazingly, I kept flying.

Earl 12-09-2020 04:10 PM

Ooh, that does look ominous....

Is the chute basically wrapped around the front or up the side of the rocket?

Earl

ghrocketman 12-09-2020 06:19 PM

Looks awful unless intentional.
What happened ??

5x7 12-09-2020 06:31 PM

NAR scale for mission points?

tbzep 12-09-2020 07:04 PM

One thousand mission points awarded!

A Fish Named Wallyum 12-09-2020 09:16 PM

It started skywriting as soon as it cleared the rod. It landed on the rocket totes next to the little Ford in the pic and barfed all over them. Not sure if it needed more nose weight or if the D12 was "gutless" as someone mentioned at the end of the "flight". No damage to anything or anyone.

LeeR 12-09-2020 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
It started skywriting as soon as it cleared the rod. It landed on the rocket totes next to the little Ford in the pic and barfed all over them. Not sure if it needed more nose weight or if the D12 was "gutless" as someone mentioned at the end of the "flight". No damage to anything or anyone.

Not only did you get a great flight picture, you were spared paying the hefty insurance deductible on a potential impact on one of those cars. Impressive! :)

A Fish Named Wallyum 12-10-2020 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Not only did you get a great flight picture, you were spared paying the hefty insurance deductible on a potential impact on one of those cars. Impressive! :)

:D It really wasn't as bad it looks. I missed Loopy's car by several inches. :chuckle:
The Toaster got hit twice in the same launch earlier in the summer. It now has a rocket dent in the roof and a paint scuff. I drove it to the launch and I knew the risks involved. That's on me.

MarkB. 12-10-2020 08:51 AM

Not gonna lie,

The kids and I laughed at that first picture. They were both in the room when I opened it and when they heard me snort they looked over. I believe the relevant comment was "Oh! Well, That can't be good . . . ."

Glad everything turned out OK

A Fish Named Wallyum 12-10-2020 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Not gonna lie,

The kids and I laughed at that first picture. They were both in the room when I opened it and when they heard me snort they looked over. I believe the relevant comment was "Oh! Well, That can't be good . . . ."

Glad everything turned out OK

Yeah, I was surprised to see I caught this as I don't remember actually seeing it in this position. I think I just turned toward the movement when I turned around. I was surprised at how gentle the impact was, but then again it was in full tumble mode on the way down.