Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   RockSim Asylum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   RockSim 10 won't print (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=19979)

Tau Zero 10-10-2021 11:48 PM

RockSim 10 won't print
 
RockSim v 10.3.1f4 on Windows 10 won't print fin patterns, etc., to paper or PDF.

I get the message "printing to C:/Program Files (x86)/RockSim 10/pdf_prints”. That folder doesn't exist on my hard drive.

This happens when I try to print to my actual printer, not when trying to save as a PDF.

(I sent an email to Apogee Components, but I don't count on them being in the office for Columbus Day. Still, I could be surprised.)

.

Ez2cDave 10-11-2021 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Zero
RockSim v 10.3.1f4 on Windows 10 won't print fin patterns, etc., to paper or PDF.

I get the message "printing to C:/Program Files (x86)/RockSim 10/pdf_prints”. That folder doesn't exist on my hard drive.

This happens when I try to print to my actual printer, not when trying to save as a PDF.

(I sent an email to Apogee Components, but I don't count on them being in the office for Columbus Day. Still, I could be surprised.)

.



I am no expert, but I would try creating a folder with the required name, in the required location, to give it a valid target destination . . .

Dave F.

Tau Zero 10-12-2021 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
I am no expert, but I would try creating a folder with the required name, in the required location, to give it a valid target destination . . .
Dave F.,

(sophisticated voice) "You, sir, are thinking *ever* so much more clearly than *I* am..." ;) :D :cool:

In the meantime, I have an email into Technical Support. (heavy sigh)

Tau Zero 10-12-2021 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Zero
RockSim v 10.3.1f4 on Windows 10 won't print fin patterns, etc., to paper or PDF.

I get the message "printing to C:/Program Files (x86)/RockSim 10/pdf_prints”. That folder doesn't exist on my hard drive.

This happens when I try to print to my actual printer, not when trying to save as a PDF.

(I sent an email to Apogee Components, but I don't count on them being in the office for Columbus Day. Still, I could be surprised.)

.
Long story short: Apparently my problem was that I had installed Windows 10 over Windows 7 instead of formatting the hard drive and doing a fresh Win10 install.

Apogee's tech support indicated that RockSim 10 wasn't designed or tested with Windows 7 in mind.

Solution? Backing up everything important on that drive and getting ready to reformat it and do a fresh install of Windows 10.


Be back when I can. (Spock eyebrow)

.

Bill S 10-13-2021 06:30 AM

There is no reason you should have to reinstall the OS to use a program. Have you tried compatibility mode?

Bill 10-13-2021 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Zero
Apogee's tech support indicated that RockSim 10 wasn't designed or tested with Windows 7 in mind.


So much for "write once, run everywhere..."


Bill

Tau Zero 10-13-2021 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
So much for "write once, run everywhere..."
Bill,

A generic business attitude: "We're a *forward* looking company. NOBODY looks backward."

Says you. (Spock eyebrow)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S
There is no reason you should have to reinstall the OS to use a program. Have you tried compatibility mode?
Bill S,

You wouldn't think so, no. Tech support pointed out that my directory structure was completely unlike what they'd seen before. (Young punk kids, mebbe.)

This move was out of sheer desperation. I've been fighting this uphill technological battle with several other programs until I finally said, "I'm done."

We'll find out for sure once the computer comes back from the shop.

Ez2cDave 10-13-2021 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Zero
A generic business attitude: "We're a *forward* looking company. NOBODY looks backward."



A company or a person that "never looks backward" tend to forget their past mistakes and doom themsleves to repeat them !

Dave F.

Tau Zero 10-15-2021 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Zero
Long story short: Apparently my problem was that I had installed Windows 10 over Windows 7 instead of formatting the hard drive and doing a fresh Win10 install.

Solution? Backing up everything important on that drive and getting ready to reformat it and do a fresh install of Windows 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S
There is no reason you should have to reinstall the OS to use a program.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Zero
This move was out of sheer desperation. I've been fighting this uphill technological battle with several other programs until I finally said, "I'm done."

We'll find out for sure once the computer comes back from the shop.
I'm happy to report after I botched a Windows “reset” leaving me with nothing but a black screen (no signal from the computer to the monitor), my friendly computer tech Made All Things Well.

And now all of the programs that wouldn't run before are running just fine, thank you very much. :cool:

In other works, RockSim 10 now prints properly, the Bandlab Assistant actually works, so I was FINALLY able to download Cakewalk (multitrack audio recording software, formerly SONAR) by Bandlab... :cool:

The only drawback is having to reload a bunch of programs, but maybe I'll be pickier this time.


Mebbe. :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Tau Zero 10-15-2021 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Zero
A generic business attitude: "We're a *forward* looking company. NOBODY looks backward."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
A company or a person that "never looks backward" tend to forget their past mistakes and doom themsleves to repeat them !
Dave,

Yes, but they won't admit that they're causing all of their own problems.

I worked for a sociopath, I mean a guy, who managed the company by saying, "Forget about yesterday! Today we're doing things completely different!"

I'd ask my coworkers, "WHY are we doing this?"

They'd reply, "It's not broken, so we're fixing it." :confused: :mad:


Again, (Spock eyebrow)

.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.