Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Aerobee 300 Colors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18956)

MarkB. 11-01-2020 01:40 PM

Aerobee 300 Colors

Comrades:

Does anybody have information on colors for a three-fin Aerobee 300 other than the one in Rockets of the World?

Pictures, video, drawing or a great description, anything.

ghrocketman 11-01-2020 02:51 PM

Just the Estes and Semroc catalog pics of Silver/Black/White/Red.
I have both kits sitting waiting for build, but not sure where the Semroc one is right now.
Possibly in storage.

jeffyjeep 11-01-2020 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did mine to match the Semroc face card.

PeterAlway 11-01-2020 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Comrades:

Does anybody have information on colors for a three-fin Aerobee 300 other than the one in Rockets of the World?

Pictures, video, drawing or a great description, anything.

Blast--I can't upload an imgage. I will simply say that the old Estes kit paint scheme was based on misreading a photo that had been cut out around the rocket. The silver part was actually white. As for the red bits, someone ust guessed or invented that.

Peter Alway

Ltvscout 11-01-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlway
Blast--I can't upload an imgage. I will simply say that the old Estes kit paint scheme was based on misreading a photo that had been cut out around the rocket. The silver part was actually white. As for the red bits, someone ust guessed or invented that.

Peter Alway

Peter,

Send me the pic you want to upload to scott@rocketshoppe.com and I'll add it to your post for you.

Chris_Timm 11-02-2020 06:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think this is the pic Peter is referring to.

PeterAlway 11-03-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Timm
I think this is the pic Peter is referring to.

Yes, that seems to be the basis of the old Estes paint scheme. With th background cut out, it kinda looks like the first stage (sustainer) is silver, but Aerojet never made them in silver/bare metal. Some were painted white, some orange (not fluorescent, as far as I can tell), and some in a mostly grey primer color.

Peter Alway

MarkB. 11-03-2020 08:19 PM

Thanks, guys,

I didn't realize until a moment ago that this is different from the one in Rockets of the World. In the book, the Sparrow stage is all-white with a black cone. In Chris' picture, the Sparrow section is black.

I guess I was hoping something that indicated either the grey or orange schemes, just to mix it up on a rescue Aerobee.

Ez2cDave 11-04-2020 08:00 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Thanks, guys,

I didn't realize until a moment ago that this is different from the one in Rockets of the World. In the book, the Sparrow stage is all-white with a black cone. In Chris' picture, the Sparrow section is black.

I guess I was hoping something indicated either the grey or orange schemes. just to mix it up on a rescue Aerobee

At NARAM 51, Steve Humphrey built a model of the Aerobee 300 . . . I wonder what his documentation was ?

Dave

tbzep 11-04-2020 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
At NARAM 51, Steve Humphrey built a model of the Aerobee 300 . . . I wonder what his documentation was ?

Dave

IDK, but it sure looks good in the air. :cool: