Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Designer's Studio (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   New Design -- Abrogator (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=8050)

Tau Zero 11-07-2010 11:50 PM

New Design -- Abrogator

4 Attachment(s)
Apparently I've seen the "Babylon 5" TV show at least *one* time too many, and I borrowed the gold and purple color scheme from the Centauri ships. :o

Definition: abrogate - revoke formally. abolish, get rid of - do away with.

I can hear Londo Mollari saying in his Hungarian accent, "We are formally revoking your *tiny leetle government's* independence, and sending our personal representative to oversee your planet for us. " :eek: ;) :D

I'll post the fin pattern later, but I wanted to get your input on this design.

I have several others of this general size (Semroc/Centuri ST-10 upper body tube/ST-13 lower body tube). While I prefer 3 fins instead of 4, with this maximum diameter (1.34"), I often have to increase the number to 5 fins to get reasonably slow (i.e., "non-chute shredding") deployment velocities. These fins extend about 2.75" from the lower body tube.

Craig and anybody else, got any thoughts along these lines? Please post 'em here!

Cheers,

CPMcGraw 11-08-2010 10:50 AM

Looks like "Design #801" to me... :D

Should be plenty rugged for typical flying, nothing delicate to break off. Only suggestion I might make is to move the launch lug forward a bit. Position it closer to the CP, or between the CP/CG points, to keep aerodynamic torquing down during launch. Load it with the C6 (heaviest engine) to find the zone.

Let's go with it!

Brain 11-08-2010 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Craig and anybody else, got any thoughts along these lines? Please post 'em here!

My first gut reaction: I'm not crazy about the fins. In my head, they don't match the 'feeling' I get from the segmented body tube, which I like a whole bunch!

I could get to like them, but I'd be interested in seeing some alternative styles... Just my 2 cents worth...

Tau Zero 11-08-2010 10:49 PM

Thanks, Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain
My first gut reaction: I'm not crazy about the fins. In my head, they don't match the 'feeling' I get from the segmented body tube, which I like a whole bunch!

I could get to like them, but I'd be interested in seeing some alternative styles... Just my 2 cents worth...
Brain,

Thanks for your two cents! :D

I'll let my "little gray cells" stew some more on the fin patterns. I have no problem with trying some "variations on a theme," like I did with my "5820 (Fifty-Eight Twenty)" series a while back.

Cheers,

CPMcGraw 11-09-2010 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Brain,

Thanks for your two cents! :D

I'll let my "little gray cells" stew some more on the fin patterns. I have no problem with trying some "variations on a theme," like I did with my "5820 (Fifty-Eight Twenty)" series a while back.

Cheers,

There's always the "open frame" concept... :D

CPMcGraw 12-26-2010 02:29 PM

Fin Patterns

3 Attachment(s)
Here's the fin sheet pattern. You will need two sheets to do the model as-designed, and this will leave 1 extra fin (3 fins per sheet).

johnnwwa 12-26-2010 03:51 PM

The first thing I look at when I see a new design published here is this.

The design itself. Would I build this rocket, Does the design appeal to me.
The answer is YES.
I move on to.

What motors will this rocket fly on? .. In this case A,B,C prefect
What is it's maximum altitude . Just about a 1000' perfect. ( I like to be able to see my rockets for lift off to recovery/ landing)

What is the FPS at apogee ... In this case all motors used are less that 7 FPS perfect.

So I would say Jay..You Have a Winner.

John

Tau Zero 12-27-2010 12:32 AM

Jay chats with John W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnwwa
The first thing I look at when I see a new design published here is this.

The design itself. Would I build this rocket, Does the design appeal to me.
The answer is YES.
I move on to.

What motors will this rocket fly on? .. In this case A,B,C prefect
What is it's maximum altitude . Just about a 1000' perfect. ( I like to be able to see my rockets for lift off to recovery/ landing)

What is the FPS at apogee ... In this case all motors used are less that 7 FPS perfect.

So I would say Jay..You Have a Winner.
Thanks John! It feels awful lonely to post a design here and get NO comments. (sad look)

I mean, I don't think I've "got it all down," even with the Semroc release of my Tau Zero design. (Thanks, Carl!) So anything constructive that *anybody* wants to say is *greatly* appreciated.

FWIW, I *do* have an alternate "tube fin" variation that broke the current version of RockSim, so hopefully Paul Fossey is making at least some progress on fixing that. :o

Glad you like it, John! Thanks for your comments!

Cheers,

johnnwwa 12-27-2010 11:31 AM

Jay

Keep those designs coming.

BTW I live pretty close to James Pierson we get together to test his designs at our launch site. Overhead photo here. www.4hrockets.blogspot.com
\
The user name Johnnwwa is John N orth W est Wa shington

John Ludwig

James and I are going to NARCON :D

Tau Zero 12-27-2010 09:39 PM

John Ludwig, master of the drumkit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnwwa
Jay

Keep those designs coming.

BTW I live pretty close to James Pierson we get together to test his designs at our launch site. Overhead photo here. www.4hrockets.blogspot.com
\
The user name Johnnwwa is John N orth W est Wa shington

John Ludwig
John,

All these years I've been reading it "Johnn W. WA." :o

So I may have to remember that your *real* last name is the same as a company that manufactures drumsets.

Please forgive me if I accidentally call you "Johnny Roland," because that's the brand of drums that I play. :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Quote:
James and I are going to NARCON :D
Excellent! Have fun! :cool:

Cheers,