Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Designer's Studio (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Scrounged-Up Designs 2007 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=2165)

CPMcGraw 02-18-2007 02:13 PM

BARCLONE Update Alert

Everyone,

The first of several updates to the BARCLONE website have now been posted and those plans are available for download. It has taken longer to do this than was originally planned, but shortly we hope to have all of the 2006-Series plans up and visible. One of our goals was to reach 300 plans before December, and I think we accomplished that before September. The new goal is to reach 500 plans before the end of 2007; if we have the same degree of contributions that we had in 2006, we should reach this goal just as easily.

Thanks to all who participated!

Mark+3 02-18-2007 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Look at the fin thickness of the rocket image when you prepare for launch to load a motor or view the line diagram in the 2D base view of the design.

It's your fins. I'm assuming that you wanted 0.09380 instead of your 0.9380 for the thickness of the fin material since these fins are almost an inch thick? You also selected "custom" for the fin material and that has a "zero" mass for the fins. Instead choose balsa or one of the other materials.

I changed the design to balsa and 0.09380 for the fin thickness and it flys fine.

The 3D export did look kinda cool ..... :)

Doh! Thanks

James Pierson 02-18-2007 08:42 PM

Quote:
CPMcGraw Everyone,

The first of several updates to the BARCLONE website have now been posted and those plans are available for download. It has taken longer to do this than was originally planned, but shortly we hope to have all of the 2006-Series plans up and visible. One of our goals was to reach 300 plans before December, and I think we accomplished that before September. The new goal is to reach 500 plans before the end of 2007; if we have the same degree of contributions that we had in 2006, we should reach this goal just as easily.

Thanks to all who participated!

Thanks for all your hard work Craig and Scott. The Barclone site is looking great :D .

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

James Pierson 02-19-2007 07:54 PM

New Designs: Mini Jets 13, 14, 15

6 Attachment(s)
Had to take a trip back in time on this thread to see when I last posted a Mini Jet and what # it was :o . Finally here are the last of the Mini Jets, #13, #14, and #15. Looking back at the download number on these designs Mini-Jet #4 seems to be the favorite so far.

Enjoy and Thanks Again, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Tau Zero 02-19-2007 10:32 PM

"Fat and chunky" fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark+3
Doh! Thanks
Mark+3,

I've done it myself before. This Centuri Vector-V attempt was from a couple of years ago:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...796&postcount=6

Notice that even the "vanes" are chunky! :rolleyes: :o ;) :D

Cheers,

James Pierson 02-20-2007 06:19 PM

Quote:
Mark+3
OK folks this one has me stumped. Flight simulation says it won't leave the rod and 2D profile shows it starting parallel to the ground (launch rod @ 0 degrees). Did I miss something? Software problems? Any help would be appreciated.

A person has to really watch rocksim on a few things it wants to do automatically. When doing paper transitions in rocksim be sure to make them hallow and not solid. I also use the paper thickness of .0110 for Carl's cardstock material. Craig and I have also come to believe that Rocksim allows too much drag for ringtail and tube fins as well :confused: .

Hope this helps, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

CPMcGraw 02-22-2007 09:22 PM

BARCLONE Model Count

1 Attachment(s)
Folks,

I'd been saying we punched through 300 models back around September, but that I really didn't know just how many we had. Now that we're seeing the bulk of these designs heading into the wild, I had an opportunity to take an inventory of all the designs I show in the "PROVEN" category. I will post a text file attachment for everyone to look through at the bottom of this message. This may not be a complete listing yet, as there may be a few designs posted recently to this thread which are not accounted for. I thought I'd share this list with everyone to look through, as I want everyone who has posted a design to know that your design is still going to make it to the website.

The count of designs on this list is 387...

Important notes:

1. The Tau Zero is listed, but is not currently scheduled for posting to the website.

2. There is a double entry for the 1974 Parts Demo. The number above reflects these changes.

3. Several folders have multiple models grouped together. The number above does NOT reflect that discrepancy.

James Pierson 03-04-2007 06:12 PM

New Design: Ion Explorer

2 Attachment(s)
This 18mm design was inspired by another one of those shows on the Science Channel :p . I call it the Ion Explorer and its "different" to say the least.
Weather seems to be somewhat improving around here or maybe its the cabin fever giving me the false hope of an early spring ;) .

Thanks Again and Enjoy, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

James Pierson 03-25-2007 07:22 PM

New Design: NX Proto

2 Attachment(s)
Whoa, I just saw this thread slipping down into the shadowy abiss an realized I how long its been since a new design was posted. Well call me slacker no more :D , because here is a new design I call the NX Proto for the lack of a better name. This on falls into the VR class of designs and flies well on 18mm motors from A8-3 to C6-5.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

barone 03-25-2007 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierson
Whoa, I just saw this thread slipping down into the shadowy abiss an realized I how long its been since a new design was posted. Well call me slacker no more :D , because here is a new design I call the NX Proto for the lack of a better name. This on falls into the VR class of designs and flies well on 18mm motors from A8-3 to C6-5.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Nice looking...... :)

CPMcGraw 03-31-2007 06:40 PM

New Plan -- Paragon

3 Attachment(s)
James' comments have made me give some attention to my own design efforts. It has been some time since I introduced anything new, so I guess it's time to address that deficiency...

This design takes a 24mm C11-5, and a C6-5 using an adapter. The C6 gives better performance. There are configuration similarities to the earlier CSL Murray.

Length: 35.10"
Diameter: 1.34" (ST-13)
Fin Span: 3.43"
Weight: 2.1 oz

C11-5......711'......Dv 19 FPS......31"
C6-5.......796'......Dv 11 FPS......31"

Enjoy!

handeman 03-31-2007 11:12 PM

You guys really need to stop with all the cool new designs, or I need to stop looking at them. I've got enough ideas floating around in my head to keep me busy for the next six months.
Of course I'll never get those all done because ya all give me more ideas in the mean time :D

CPMcGraw 04-22-2007 11:39 AM

Revised Plan -- Antares Mk II

3 Attachment(s)
Here's the updated plan for the Antares, based on Saturday's flight test. The updated construction uses the 6.5" BT-20D as the motor tube, and four support rings, to form an inner core. Applying glue to the two interior rings can be difficult at best, but if you use a straight pin (or a "T" pin) and pierce the BT-50 only where these two rings intersect the fin lines, you can flow some thinned yellow glue through the holes and "blind rivet" the rings in place. CA would work, too, but you need to keep excess CA from interfering with the fin root glue joint.

Length: 23.75"
Diameter: 0.976" (BT-50) main body tube; 1.325" (BT-55) reactor shroud
Fin Span: 8.08"
Weight: 2.38 oz

Recommended motor results:

B6-4......282'......Dv 17 FPS
C6-5......706'......Dv 7 FPS

The A8-3 and B4-4 (the two motors I chose to fly with :o ) are not advised for general flying, as their Dv's are above my suggested 20 FPS upper limit.

Even with the weight of a C6-5 added, the stability margin is 2.73. No wonder the first prototype flew so well!

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw 04-22-2007 08:42 PM

Revised Plan -- Andromeda Mk VIII

3 Attachment(s)
These alterations are based on the performance of the Mk I prototype yesterday. It flew well, but not to my satisfaction. Granted, it was a much heavier model than I thought it should be, and thus the stability margin was closer to the low end of the scale. Interestingly, the model did not need any of the small finlets around the base of the second shroud currently shown in the 3D images.

This version lengthens the model by 1.3", by using an ST-753 motor section instead of the ST-740 previously added. The model now has DV's for my selected motors that are close to ideal.

I've kept the small finlets in this revision for appearances, but RockSim says they do add a measure of stability to the overall total. Granted, we're finding out that RockSim isn't always correct in its assessments and assertions...

Length: 29.25"
Diameter: 1.04" (BC-760); 1.34" (ST-13)
Fin Span: 5.86"
Weight: 2.08 oz

A8-3......142'......Dv 10 FPS
B4-4......383'......Dv 13 FPS
B6-4......392'......Dv 3 FPS

Note the C6-5 is not listed. This motor does not achieve safe flight speed until 44" up the rod. All of the motors listed here achieve flight speed in less than 36".

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw 04-29-2007 08:51 PM

New Plan -- Lirpa

3 Attachment(s)
So, I'm wanting to do something a bit more SciFi and Fantasy, and I'm holding in the back of my brain those interesting Sunward / Canaroc designs. I want something similar, but not exact, and which can be built from available Semroc components if possible. The Lirpa matches that set of requirements, needing only one set of custom centering rings.

The drawings from RockSim are, once again, showing the highly irritating limitations imposed by the program. The long bulkheads in the offset tube and in the pods are supposed to be nose cones.

The parachute goes in the large chin-mounted ST-10. A gas passage is required between the ST-10 and the ST-8. A baffle can be mounted in the ST-10, if desired.

The model will need a 48" x 3/16" launch rod. It reaches Fv in 37" on the C6-5.

Length: 27.75"
Diameter: 1.34"
Fin Span: 11.34" *
Weight: 3.5 oz

*This is the fin span reported by the simulation, however the outer 1.5" of each tip drops downward 90 degrees to become a pylon for the pod. RockSim is incapable of showing this at present.

C6-5......646'......Dv 14 FPS

I will try to work up some alignment templates and post these shortly to show you better what I had in mind.

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw 04-30-2007 01:55 PM

New Plan -- Cloud Chaser

3 Attachment(s)
This is a simple two-stage, but it recycles the SEMROC Laser-Cut fin sheets for the Centuri Marauder. The sustainer uses an 18mm motor, while the booster uses a 24mm motor.

Length: 27.33"
Diameter: 1.04" (ST-10)
Fin Span: 6.78"
Weight: 1.87 oz

All motor combinations require a 48" x 3/16" launch rod. Best performance also requires at least 1 oz of ballast in the payload compartment. A lightweight digital camera would be a good candidate.

C11-0 / B6-6......1100'......Dv 15 FPS
C11-0 / C6-7......1660'......Dv 11 FPS
D12-0 / C6-7......2275'......Dv 24 FPS

Enjoy!

Maniac BAR 05-13-2007 04:55 PM

Scrounged-Up Designs

5 Attachment(s)
Boy, have I been gone awhile! :eek: I think the last time I got into this forum was back around the mid of last year. I now have way too many new Rocksim files downloaded from here! :D Anyhoo, I have a few to add to the stew. No pun intended! :p

First up is a neat three stage ring fin I call the Ring Fin Thingy. It has flown three times so far with the first two flights causing a long walk to retrive do to angular staging. Boost on both was fine but as each stage lit, the whole thing went more and more out of vertical. Both flights were with the fins aligned with each other and 1/4 oz. of nose weight.
The third flight was with 1/8 oz. of nose weight added and the fins aligned out of phase with each other. Fantastic flight straight up! :) Don't know if it was the nose weight or the fins but I was very satisfied with the end result, finally.
The interesting thing with this one is the fact that with the proper engine stack you can acutually fly it in a small field! :D
The odd thing is the launch rod length. I have flown it all the times with a 48" rod with no problems. The rocket has left the rod straight up and only had the earlier problem when staging.
The ring fin program has the added quirk of adding pylons automatically. That may be the problem with the ring fin vs. the inside tube debate. I had to add the "fins" myself and then used the inside tube trick to get the ring size and fit that I needed.
Although the design doesn't call for any nose weight, I did the swing test with the full stack loaded and it did require a small amout to stabilize properly.
The only main problem aside from the angular staging, has been fin breakage on recovery. The boosters and the sustainer have broken one or more fin joints more than once. The weight of the engine casings is enough to make the boosters tumble rather quickly. The damage has been easily repairable so far. The addition of more glue to the joints may also be the reason for the added nose weight. One thing seems to build on another.

Anyway here are the files:

Maniac BAR 05-13-2007 05:18 PM

Scrounged-Up Designs

3 Attachment(s)
This next one is a rocket design I used for the EMRR 2006 Challenge. The prototype had a less than steller career. :( You can see the mess on EMRR or go to YouTube under rockets. The url is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGUI-6Xi4XM. The design was such a hit that I needed to make another with some modifications to assure good flights.
The original had only the four outboard motors and it wasn't until the third flight that they all lit. The problem on the first flight was my fault and the second one was an untimely cato. :o The final flight was perfect right up to chute deployment. One chute went south and the other impalled itself on the front of the nose cone and that was that. :(
For those of you that have the launch equiptment to lite multipul motors this is a fairly quick build and a real crowd pleaser. A five station clip whip is needed as well as a car type battery.
With a central D motor and your choise of A motors on the outboards this bird can fly in the confines of a small park without problems.
The only thing not shown in the sim. is the change I made to recovery. The nose cone with the majority of the weight in it needs its own chute! Use a 24" chute for the nose and a 18" chute for the main body. The first and only flight so far was just fantastic! Everything worked like a charm and the recovery walk was a nice short one. :)

Here is the Orion Cargo Carrier:

CPMcGraw 05-15-2007 11:26 PM

New Plan -- Firebird

3 Attachment(s)
So now we're all getting into ring fins. Cool! :D

Now that I've had some good flights with Lil' Battle Axe and those fiber fins, I thought I'd cook up another design that takes advantage of the laser cutting capability of Carl's fancy Krellvenator. I call this one Firebird, but don't expect high-altitude performance. It doesn't even reach 500' on a C6 motor, according to RockSim. It's the high drag from those rings. When you look at the RKT file, take a look at the chart found in the Rocket | CD Analysis dialog. They're 95% of the total drag on this model.

Length: 17.95"
Diameter: 1.04" (BC-760)
Fin Span: 3.611"
Weight: 1.25 oz

B4-2......252'......Dv 19 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod
C6-3......464'......Dv 9 FPS.......36" x 1/8" rod

Enjoy!

A Fish Named Wallyum 05-16-2007 05:57 AM

Geez, Geoff, post a link to the video. I can't sift through all of the NBA and Mentos/Diet Coke crap. Only so many hours in a week. :rolleyes:

Solomoriah 05-16-2007 07:02 AM

Wow, Craig... so after you build yours, I can just order up a set of those fins from Carl?

... might have to build one myself.

CPMcGraw 05-16-2007 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
Wow, Craig... so after you build yours, I can just order up a set of those fins from Carl?

... might have to build one myself.

Let me get at least one prototype flown before everyone bombards Carl with requests :D ...

It may need some tweaking...

CPMcGraw 05-18-2007 05:08 PM

New Plan -- Argo 18

3 Attachment(s)
This is a new plan, but it is also a 15% upscale of the original design I posted here some time back. I have now completed a prototype of that version using 13mm motors, and should be flight-testing it tomorrow (weather permitting, which looks great). This larger version seems better suited for the 18mm motors available, as the Dv numbers are all below 8 FPS.

All motors reach flight velocity on a standard 36" x 1/8" rod.

Length: 19.565"
Fin Span: 5.665"
Weight: 1.33 oz

A8-3......200'......Dv 4 FPS
B4-4......460'......Dv 5 FPS
B6-4......470'......Dv 7 FPS
C6-5......965'......Dv 3 FPS

Enjoy!

Maniac BAR 05-22-2007 10:45 PM

Sorry Bill, you can see the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGUI-6Xi4XM. It is also on EMRR in the Design This Spaceship contest from last year. The rocket is the Federated Transport and Delivery rocket which took third place.

CPMcGraw 05-25-2007 10:44 PM

New Plan -- Apokalypsis

4 Attachment(s)
Pronounced: a-po-ka' ly-psis

I just like the sound of the name...:rolleyes:

This was a simple doodle in RockSim tonight. Try to imagine those fins as being nose cones with pod bodies stuck on the tips, similar to those on the Antares.

Good performance, low Dv numbers. All motors reach safe flight velocity on a standard 36" x 1/8" launch rod.

Length: 23.30"
Diameter: 0.908" (ST-8)
Fin Span: 5.53"
Weight: 1.23 oz

A8-3.......232'......Dv 6 FPS
B4-4.......526'......Dv 15 FPS
B6-4.......531'......Dv 19 FPS
C6-5......1084'......Dv 16 FPS

Enjoy!

Maniac BAR 05-26-2007 05:45 PM

Tough one

3 Attachment(s)
Ok, Craig, can you do anything with this one? Put it together from two others that were not quite right for what they were built for and I didn't want to throw them out. It has flown, it went remarkably high on two A10-3T's. Recovered just fine not far from the pad. I have tried to get it into RockSim but I don't have enough experence with the program to do so, if it can at all. It is called the "Two Fer".

BT-5 tubes : 2@ 8.5"
2@ 1.75
Std. Estes PNC-5 nose cones
Fins from the Mirv Gryphen
Duel streamer recovery using #30 Kevlar only
Motor blocks in the main tubes only
Small spacer blocks between main tubes to allow easier engine removal

I would like to try four engines but I would also like to get it dang thing back!! :D

CPMcGraw 06-09-2007 11:22 AM

New Concept Design - Starlighter Shuttle

7 Attachment(s)
This is still a "work-in-progress", but I thought I'd share it in its current form to see if anyone can "spot the loony" as to where I'm hung up. The inspiration comes from the twin-glider project by Buzz Nau, but as you can easily tell, it's not an exact copy. My idea is to use twin drop-off boosters with "D" motors, and very possibly incorporate one of the new "super-micro" Spektrum or Futaba radio systems for control of the glider.

Obviously I cannot simulate this model in RockSim beyond the graphics, but I think you can get the general idea. The glider will need flight balancing, and that will be determined by whether I do include the radio or not (I am leaning that way, but I still want to see the glider free-flight...).

Glider:

Length: 23.8"
Diameter: 1.34" (ST-13)
Wing Span: 10.09" (5 degree dihedral total)
Weight: 1.81 oz (no radio)

Each Booster:

Length: 23.0"
Fin Span: 3.54"
Weight: 1.06 oz

Planned motor is the D12-3 in each booster.

Contemplate!

Chris_Timm 06-17-2007 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found this pic on ebay.
Looks like something Mr. Pierson designed.

Chris_Timm 06-17-2007 04:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the backside of the photo of the vintage rocket model.

James Pierson 06-17-2007 08:20 PM

Good find Chris. Looks like Mr. Maurice Poirier has a nack for sci-fi and is way ahead of his time for 1937. I would like to have seen that test launch from behind a concrete bunker :eek: !
A couple of other thinks I noticed in the photo is the size of the rafter tails coming down from the roof system. They are true 2 inch by 4 inch 2x4's and they also look to be cut by hand with an handsaw. That was before power tools came along :cool: .

PS. Please don't call me Mr.-- Makes me feel old and I'm only 39 and holding :p .

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Tau Zero 06-18-2007 01:07 AM

Chiming in

Quote:
PS. Please don't call me Mr.-- Makes me feel old and I'm only 39 and holding :p .
JP,

The way *I* read what Chris wrote, it said, "Our Very Own Young Mr. Pierson." :D :cool:

(But then again, I'm 45, my dad is 91, and my mom is 81. :eek: :cool: )

On the other hand, you could *also* add the phrase, "Mr. Pierson, who is pretty much the same age as Jay's kid brother Tom." (whose DOB is 10/24/1967).

Cheers,

Chris_Timm 06-18-2007 12:08 PM

Quote:

I meant it as a small token of respect for your incredible imagination put forth in your designs.

Heck, I can't even muster up a decent color schemes for my stable of Omega clones.
Many are still primer white.
One has flourescent red fins, white tube, silver payload, black nose.
Another has only black fins so far.......maybe I'll add some striping that follows the body tube seams.

Any ideas ???

CPMcGraw 06-18-2007 03:23 PM

Tidying up a few loose ends

It's been a little quiet here in Barcloneland for a few weeks, but it's only because I've been trying to get a few earlier designs built / primed / flyable. I've been working on the new website, too. The website update is still far behind schedule, but progressing. My earlier code was getting too unruly to manage, and I decided it needed a complete start-from-scratch approach.

As for models built recently, I've added a SEMROC Mark II and a Squire. These have been primed, but need sanding. The Squire was built in a short-body configuration, with the motor tube exposed about an inch behind the main tube. The fins were notched to fit the step-down. I have also built a Centuri IRIS and Nomad from SEMROC components. The IRIS is primed but not sanded, and the Nomad needs its first prime coat.

A SEMROC Recruiter model (Serial #16) has been given its primer coat and awaits sanding.

The newest BARCLONEs to be added are the Argo, which has been primed and sanded, and the Rhemus, which needs priming. A second Antares prototype is now ready for priming. I changed a few details about this one, such as a longer motor tube (6"), longer pod tubes (3" versus 2"), and longer pod nose cones (2.75" versus 2.125"); also the shroud support vanes have been trimmed to 2.75" in length and are recessed about 0.125" behind the leading edge of the shroud. It made the model a bit cleaner in appearance.

My Cherokee Double-D model, which has been assembled but unprimed for quite some time has finally received the launch lugs and the first shot of primer. It's no longer nekkid. It also sports a clear plastic payload section I found in my scraps box.

An Estes Sizzler clone (#1906) has been built and primed. The two SEC Alphas (one in Auburn trim, one in Alabama trim) have been primed, but the decals have not yet been printed. A kit C-C Express was finally primed.

A Quest Big Betty and Courier, which have been sitting off to the side for several years, have been primed and are waiting sanding.

I still have a batch of models needing their first prime coats, but little by little I'm getting control of the collection. Really. And I still have hair on my head, too. Nearly all of it silver, but still enough to need a trip to the barber once in awhile.

As I type this, it's pouring down here in Mobile! Real, honest rain! We've been under a burn ban for several weeks, which has kept me from flying. I'm planning to take some additional equipment along on my next session, including one of those deck protectors you place a grill on top of (flame-resistant mat) for the launch pad, and a pump-sprayer with about a gallon of water in it. I figure these ought to provide some cheap insurance against potential pad-area incidents. This rain will help considerably, though. Our ground is bone-dry, and whatever falls today will likely just get sucked down and disappear quickly. The grass will enjoy it.

Photos of these new models will be available later. I need to set up a photo table to make them stand out better...

James Pierson 06-18-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:
Chris_Timm Quote:
I meant it as a small token of respect for your incredible imagination put forth in your designs.

Thanks Chris for your respect, it is well appreciated :) .

Quote:
Any ideas ???

My dad is fully colorblind an I am sure I am partially, but I will give it my best shot with the recently painted prototypes. I seem to have a thing for contrast in colors like Navy Blue with silver for The Shredder, Flat White and Maroon Red for both the Time Runner and XX-2, and with the Megga Dogfighter II is Navy Blue and Flat White.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

James Pierson 06-18-2007 09:54 PM

Colors you Say?

Quote:
Chris_Timm Quote:

Thanks Chris for the kindness is well appreciated :) .

Quote:
Any ideas ???

My dad is fully colorblind an I am sure I am partially, but I will give it my best shot with the recently painted prototypes. I seem to have a thing for contrast in colors like Navy Blue with Silver for The Shredder, Flat White and Maroon Red for both the Time Runner and XX-2, and with the Megga Dogfighter II is Navy Blue and Flat White.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

EchoVictor 06-19-2007 08:41 AM

Looking good, James! Any plans for decals for this crew?

Later,
EV

CPMcGraw 06-19-2007 11:28 AM

Very nice fleet, JP. Only now, you've made it more difficult for me to just leave mine in primer. :o

The Blue Angels probably won't mind your choice of Navy Blue and Silver... :cool:

James Pierson 07-01-2007 08:28 PM

New Design: Anti-Cyclone (18MM)

3 Attachment(s)
Its been so long since I posted a new rocksim design that I almost forgot how!
Here is one I call the Anti-Cyclone, named after the massive red stop on the planet Jupiter which is apparently a gaint unending circular storm like a hurricane. I just thought the name was cool anyways :D . This one is unbuilt for now but may make its way to the build list soon.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

CPMcGraw 07-01-2007 11:15 PM

Quote:
Its been so long since I posted a new rocksim design that I almost forgot how!
Here is one I call the Anti-Cyclone, named after the massive red stop on the planet Jupiter which is apparently a gaint unending circular storm like a hurricane. I just thought the name was cool anyways :D . This one is unbuilt for now but may make its way to the build list soon.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

I'm glad someone is still doing something! I wish I could get back to designing a few, but...

Most of my time lately has been trying to finish up the new web pages for BARCLONE. I'm closing in on the finish line, I think, but it's still a major time-killer. The first 100 models are in the database with description pages to provide some details for each model. It averages about four separate files for each model, which is probably the easiest way to accomplish what I was trying to do. Basically, this website will have well over 1300 files by the time I get this first edition sent up to Scott.

One nagging 'feature' that the new site tries to accomplish is to adjust itself optimally for everyone's screen, as long as that screen is at least 1024 pixels wide. It doesn't always optimize cleanly -- some things shift on top of others at the lower sizes unless I'm really on top of it. Visitors with screens smaller than 1024 wide will get nothing except a nag page complaining about it. :D

PDAs and cell phones are completely out of luck. The nav bar on the left side takes 250 px by itself!

For you programmers, it's written in PHP, generating HTML; there is a little JavaScript for some client-side processing, but mostly it's server-side action. All of the models, decals, and other goodies have their primary data stored in a MySQL database. Page formatting is done with CSS, which has really simplified the project.

More to come. I'm seeing daylight. It's a bright light, anyway...

James Pierson 07-02-2007 12:50 PM

No Time for But's here?

Quote:
CPMcGraw Quote:
I'm glad someone is still doing something! I wish I could get back to designing a few, but...

Wish I had the computer knowledge to help you out bro. Seems we have to make choices with the TIME situation all the time :D . Design in rocksim vs actually build the design etc... I could not imagine having the time to do a set of instruction :o .

James Pierson
NAR#77907