Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Evel Knievel's legacy (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=9889)

tbzep 07-30-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jablonski
Pastrana Was in freestyle before he went pro MX. at 14 he had his spine come loose from his pelvis and was lucky to be walking let alone racing due to freestyle crash. DeCoster almost didn't sign him with Suzuki because of freestyle, But his draw and ability was to good to pass on.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

No arguments on his earliest pro titles. However, like I said in my previous post, he started out in MX. He won five Loretta Lynn Amateur Nationals MX titles starting at age 9, (Her Hurricane Mills Dude Ranch and track is about 40 miles from me.) and was riding MX much earlier than that first title. ;)

As for him getting signed to Suzuki, you can see why he's been so loyal to them where other guys often jump ship for bigger $$$ contracts.

ghrocketman 07-31-2013 10:26 AM

The only dirt bikes I ever own are Suzuki's.
Will gladly ride a Kawasaki, just have never owned one.

Might take a Yamaha for a test-spin, but would not own one.
You would not ever see me riding any POS honda ever though.

mbauer 08-10-2013 04:36 PM

[QUOTE=ghrocketman]Gus-
I LIKE that....sponsors on Coliseum walls during Gladiator contests.

B-D 000 surgical silk, Band-Aid, Jack Daniel's, Acme Casket Co., Purina LION Chow, and Lilly MORPHINE come to mind as logical sponsors.... :D :chuckle:
QUOTE]

Might want to add Olympia Beer to the list. His first steam rocket was made with the plan to use Oly beer for the liquid.

Mike

ghrocketman 08-12-2013 09:37 AM

Olympia beer SUCKS.
Even being "Dirty Harry's" beer of choice in all those Clint Eastwood movies does not make it cool.

Figures that fool Knievel would drink that slop.

tbzep 08-12-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Olympia beer SUCKS.
Even being "Dirty Harry's" beer of choice in all those Clint Eastwood movies does not make it cool.
Nope, but a cooler full of salted ice will. ;)

Quote:
Figures that fool Knievel would drink that slop.

Odds are that he was just sponsored by them and only drank really high quality beer like Hamm's, Shafer's or Weideman. :eek:

Most of the athletes sponsored by Monster, Red Bull, Rockstar, and other energy drinks empty those cans and pour in water so that they will be seen on camera with their sponsor's product. I often see them doing that very deed in the garages and pits of motocross and road racing teams. (I don't watch the "left turns only" asscar series, but I suspect they do the same thing.)

A Fish Named Wallyum 08-12-2013 08:09 PM

I got an Olympia Beer shirt at a seconds outlet back when I was in high school. At the time the schools were starting to get pricky about what was said on shirts, and many of my friends were sent home to change because of the objections to their shirts. I wore my Olympia shirt for three years and never even got looked at funny. No one other than my fellow beer can collectors had ever even heard of it. :D

ghrocketman 08-13-2013 08:50 AM

Shaefer and Weidemann are even worse than Olympia.
Definite second-rate pi$$-water brews, right up there with other trash like Goebel, Drewrys, Heileman's, Meister Brau, Keystone, Old Milwaukee (smells like DEAD roadkill), Carling Black Label, and Blatz. For a LONG time, the majority of the second-rate trash brews all came from the Stroh Brewery in Detroit. I think they got their water straight from the grossly OVER-polluted Detroit River. It would explain the extreme UN-drinkability from hideous stench and flavor.
The only worse beer than those listed above is Buckhorn. That stuff is second-rate SEWER WATER, not fit for consumption by any PLANT or Animal ! Honest-to-BADNESS make you RETCH disgusting flavor.

One of the brews that used to be a "Cheap" garbage brand that is actually great due to return to the "Classic 1960's and earlier" formula is Schlitz. It is kinda hard to find, but now that it is it's own brand and NOT made by the SLOP Stroh Brewery of Detroit, it is really good stuff at a reasonable price. It tastes like a very smooth mild ale, that has PLENTY of flavor.

tbzep 08-13-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:
Shaefer and Weidemann are even worse than Olympia.

Which is exactly why I listed them. ;)

ghrocketman 03-20-2016 01:53 AM

I STILL say that FOOL Knievel YANKED-THE-LEEVER prematurely during that foolhardy Snake Canyon River Gorge jump in that POS Sky-Cycle.
Nothing short of in-cockpit camera evidence will EVER convince me any different.
He "screwed the pooch".

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-20-2016 02:06 PM

Quote:
I STILL say that FOOL Knievel YANKED-THE-LEEVER prematurely during that foolhardy Snake Canyon River Gorge jump in that POS Sky-Cycle.
Nothing short of in-cockpit camera evidence will EVER convince me any different.
He "screwed the pooch".

What's up, GH? New spoon? Too much on topic stuff going on around here so you felt like you had to stir up some s*it or just fantasize about it some more? An 18 month dead thread is the best you can do?