Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Payload rocket for camera conversion? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=2184)

tfischer 09-18-2007 01:47 PM

Payload rocket for camera conversion?

Not quite sure what forum this belongs in. Please move at will...

In my quest to aquire/build a videocam rocket, I'm exploring options for a DIY solution, possibly using an Aiptek Pencam or similar. Thus, I'm looking for recommendations on a good, low-mid power (B-D engine) payloader rocket that I can relativly easilly adapt for such a use.

My criterion so far would be: Basic rocket (don't want to waste weight on "frills" or aesthetic elements, 3/4FNC isn fine), gets decent height, preferably 2" diameter (or larger) body tube (camera is about 1.1" wide, I believe) and not too expensive (<$20 preferably))

The Semroc Golliath and Sunward Payloader look promising. Comments on those, and other options? I'm having a hard time searching the net or EMRR for "payloader rockets". Even Semroc's site doesn't make it clear that the Golliath is a payloader...

Oh yeah, If anyone has any links to info on how others have done this, I'd be interested. I've seen a few (like the CVS cam one) but most of them just show the video, not really details on the construction. And many are high-powered, which I don't want to get into right now.

Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions and for putting up with my newbie/BAR attitude and enthusiasm!

-Tim

mojo1986 09-18-2007 07:33 PM

Try this site:

http://www.usalaptoprepair.com/rocketcam/

Solomoriah 09-18-2007 07:41 PM

I've been planning to build a payload section for my Baby Berthas (standard and 2x cluster) to carry such a camera. Haven't made any progress recently though.

tfischer 09-18-2007 09:31 PM

THANKS for that link -- that's the exact camera I was thinking of using. It was also interesting to see someone make their own payload rocket (I haven't done much in the way of scratch-build or piecing stuff together).

Definitely gives me some ideas.

-Tim

tbzep 09-19-2007 07:44 AM

I used the Aiptek camera for one of my quick and dirty projects. Here's the thread, though I didn't post anything much about how I built it. It's a modified Stormcaster. I don't like the fin placement on the kit so I moved them back to the rear like an Alpha. It's first flight was with a D12-5. The flight was fine but the bottom half of the rocket landed high enough in a tree that I couldn't retrieve it.

I took some scrap BT-60 and fins from a Screamin Mimi that I cannibalized for the nosecone and built a twin 18mm mount for added versatility. If you go with a single engine, you will need a C11-3 at minimum, so I built the twin mount in order to fly with two B6-4's because C11 motors are scarce around here. I eventually plan to build another 24mm booster, but for now I don't really have a place big enough to fly that high.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=2173

tfischer 09-19-2007 01:21 PM

I've been doing more research on this, and slowly finding more sites on the web (my initial googling didn't turn up much (too many Oracle hits), but once you start finding good sites, they often link to other good ones and give you ideas on better search terms to boot.

In particular, I'm now considering going with a wireless scheme (e.g. Boostervision, or one of the cheap "spy cams" available on eBay) instead of a self-contained unit. Any thoughts on this scheme would be appreciated.

-Tim

tbzep 09-19-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfischer
I've been doing more research on this, and slowly finding more sites on the web (my initial googling didn't turn up much (too many Oracle hits), but once you start finding good sites, they often link to other good ones and give you ideas on better search terms to boot.

In particular, I'm now considering going with a wireless scheme (e.g. Boostervision, or one of the cheap "spy cams" available on eBay) instead of a self-contained unit. Any thoughts on this scheme would be appreciated.

-Tim

I also have a cheap eBay unit. It's heavier than the Aiptek camera because uses a 9v battery and has heavy RCA connectors. Its video is better (at least double the framerate) but there are some occasional dropouts and you have problems with frequency shift as the battery drops in voltage. The Boostervision unit will be better because it has its frequency locked regardless of voltage, which will take care of the frequency shift and some dropout problems. The eBay units aren't FCC approved either. I got mine to do some experimenting with and plan to upgrade to a Boostervision or equivalent frequency locked transmitter whenever I get back to fooling with downlinked video again.

tfischer 09-19-2007 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I also have a cheap eBay unit. It's heavier than the Aiptek camera because uses a 9v battery and has heavy RCA connectors. Its video is better (at least double the framerate) but there are some occasional dropouts and you have problems with frequency shift as the battery drops in voltage. The Boostervision unit will be better because it has its frequency locked regardless of voltage, which will take care of the frequency shift and some dropout problems. The eBay units aren't FCC approved either. I got mine to do some experimenting with and plan to upgrade to a Boostervision or equivalent frequency locked transmitter whenever I get back to fooling with downlinked video again.

According to our digital postal scale, which is really accurate, 2 AAA cells weigh about .8 oz, and a 9v cell 1.6 oz. But, the Boostervision weights .5 oz, compared to the Aiptek Trio's 1.6 oz (both without batteries), so unless you were to strip the Aiptek more naked than the stock camera, the Boostervision would still win out in weight with batteries (although it's pretty much a wash).

This auction sure looks like the same camera as the Boostervision, at a lower price... And this one is even cheaper (counting shipping) and appears to be very similar...

Thanks for helping me keep the brainstorming juices going! PLEASE feel free to pick holes in my logic at will, I'm new at this!
-Tim

tbzep 09-19-2007 07:22 PM

The cases may be the same, but the Chinese don't give a rip about patents and will use the same casings for their cheap knockoffs. The frequency they use is not what is advertised and isn't legal for use in the USA. I'm just telling you what you will get yourself into if you get the eBay version. I have the same RX casing as the second link you posted, but I have the 1,000mW TX making my unit considerably heavier. Will the FCC come and get you? No, but the eBay version won't work as well as the Boostervision unit. If you just want a cheap unit to do a proof-of-concept model that has a high chance of being lost, go for the eBay unit. If you have a place that's safe to fly and you think you'll use it often, get the better quality Boostervision stuff.

As for weight, you have to factor in a housing to mount the little camera, etc. where you don't have to do much more than cutting a hole in the side of the BT for the Aiptek. The point is wichever you decide to use, a B6-4 is not likely enough for it.

tfischer 09-19-2007 07:44 PM

I do appreciate the feedback!

As for the engines, I don't have any requirement for a B6-4 (not sure if I somehow implied that). D is fine, the capability for E is also fine although I'd rather not be restricted to that so I can actually afford to shoot it off occasionally :)

I never know what to think about the eBay stuff. I'm unfamiliar with Boostervision... I know in a lot of hobbies (call it a "Widget"), orders it, calls it a "Hobby-Widget", and jacks up the price... So it's never clear if you're getting a "knock off" or "the exact same thing, minus the 'hobby' designator"...

The boostervision one isn't that much higher than my first link, so I'm fine with going in that direction...

As for a housing, at least one website used clear packing tape, period. So it doesn't have to be heavy...

-Tim