Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   SEMROC Little Joe II Building Thread (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=1338)

CraigF 10-27-2007 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Heh, actually, I can see the box for that one on a desk across the basement from me. Of course I can't get to said desk due to all the rocket stuff piled up around it. :rolleyes:

Did your kit come without a chute? Mine did and Terry sent back like $5 or something if I recall correctly.

Yes, he did send $5 back to everybody. I don't remember why, but it may have been because of no chute. I do remember there was some kind of rmr $#!+storm over the $5 though... :D I can see not including a chute as there's numerous ways to do it and most people who build a "kit" like this would have their own ideas, it's not like all the other needed stuff is included either. I did have some problem with the wrap, I think it was too small to fit the diameter by ~1/4", and Terry sent me another one. I am pretty pleased by how what I've done turned out, so far. The capsule was the first thing I had ever built with CA-impregnated cardstock and I was surprised how solid yet light it is. The fins/shroud area are a bit of a bear, that's where I left off, A-001 would be so much easier.

Sorry for detracting from the SEMROC subject, but you could say it's all LJ2. Maybe somebody will want to convert one to a A-004, it is quite a lot more detail work IMO, and info to get the detail isn't quite so commonly available. Much of my A-004 "info" so far is old pics of George Gassaway's models, I was going on the presumption his were accurate scale, and mine is sort of a copy of his model (if you stand far enough away).

sandman 10-27-2007 11:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, I gotta posy the pocs just 'cause I'm so proud of it.

The first pic is my Little Joe II kit (1/38th scale) and the second one is Chan Stevens 2nd place NARAM Giant Scale entry. :D

tbzep 10-27-2007 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman

The first pic is my Little Joe II kit (1/38th scale) and the second one is Chan Stevens 2nd place NARAM Giant Scale entry. :D

Wow!

sandman 10-27-2007 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Wow!

Yea...I gotta agree with that!

;)

CraigF 10-27-2007 05:04 PM

Sandman: it's incredibly beautiful!

I measured my BT, and it's 4.00", so I guess you could sort of say it's 1/38.5 too. Frankly though, at best it's close to that in scale overall. Could you tell me the outside diameter of your LES nozzles? I'm trying to make something close, but don't have a great idea of the size. What size launch lugs did you use, and how many/how long? I'm thinking 1/4" is not an unreasonable size considering the loaded rocket weight, but they sure would look ugly... Thanks.

sandman 10-27-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigF
Sandman: it's incredibly beautiful!

I measured my BT, and it's 4.00", so I guess you could sort of say it's 1/38.5 too. Frankly though, at best it's close to that in scale overall. Could you tell me the outside diameter of your LES nozzles? I'm trying to make something close, but don't have a great idea of the size. What size launch lugs did you use, and how many/how long? I'm thinking 1/4" is not an unreasonable size considering the loaded rocket weight, but they sure would look ugly... Thanks.

The O.D. of the LES nozzles is 0.44" I made them with a pencil sharpener. That seemed about right.

The escape tower itself is 0.70"..about 0.02" oversized but that was as close as I could get.

I include 2 - 1" long 1/4" launch lugs in the kit but Chan used a "pop-lug" on his scale model.

CraigF 10-27-2007 06:28 PM

Sorry, I didn't know you made this as a kit...hope I'm not stepping on your toes (not that the one I have is available anyway). I don't see the kit on your site... Does this mean you have various parts for it available? If so, they should probably fit mine too.

Thanks for the info. I am lousy at making "parts", but I'm learning. My LES diameter (from kit) is 5/8", I figured it should be ~0.675"...way off. Even worse, it's about 9/16" too short, but at least I can fix that. Too bad I glued the cone on already. The problem for the tube diameter is the cone is made to fit it. I'm only finding these things out now that I have a half-decent drawing. It doesn't look bad, but it bugs me that it's so far out.

Yeah, it looks like I decided on 1/4" lugs way back, same as yours in length, since I put them in the box. Did you need to add any nose weight? I ask now because I am thinking of leaving the LES tube (plastic plumbing pipe) accessible somehow, since I have to cut it to extend it the 9/16". It would minimise the amount of additional weight needed if I could keep it up top. Of course I don't know how much weight I might need at this point, but if you needed a lot, then I would probably need at least some.

dwmzmm 10-27-2007 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman

Those are very beautiful Apollo Little Joes!!!

sandman 10-27-2007 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigF
Sorry, I didn't know you made this as a kit...hope I'm not stepping on your toes (not that the one I have is available anyway). I don't see the kit on your site... Does this mean you have various parts for it available? If so, they should probably fit mine too.

Thanks for the info. I am lousy at making "parts", but I'm learning. My LES diameter (from kit) is 5/8", I figured it should be ~0.675"...way off. Even worse, it's about 9/16" too short, but at least I can fix that. Too bad I glued the cone on already. The problem for the tube diameter is the cone is made to fit it. I'm only finding these things out now that I have a half-decent drawing. It doesn't look bad, but it bugs me that it's so far out.

Yeah, it looks like I decided on 1/4" lugs way back, same as yours in length, since I put them in the box. Did you need to add any nose weight? I ask now because I am thinking of leaving the LES tube (plastic plumbing pipe) accessible somehow, since I have to cut it to extend it the 9/16". It would minimise the amount of additional weight needed if I could keep it up top. Of course I don't know how much weight I might need at this point, but if you needed a lot, then I would probably need at least some.

Oh...no toes were stepped on. I moved thosetoes a long time ago when I ran out of parts to make that kit. I had to hand turn 8 parts out of hardwood. Very labor intensive. I only made 50 kits.

I have a few parts left and I can always make some parts so just let me know what you need. I can make them...it's what I do. I could even make you a replacement tower. Just let me know.

CraigF 10-28-2007 10:19 AM

Sandman: I'm just starting to get familiar with who's who here, associating usernames with real names. So I may not catch on to some associations that are obvious to others...

I'm going to try surgery on my LES assembly stuff right now. I was never real happy with it anyway; it's solid/strong but needs some tuning for sure. Let me see how it works out before I abandon it for another one. This isn't a "competition" model, it's for flying mainly but I'd prefer if it had a decent "profile" because it is a lot of work to build so might as well make it quite close.

You know that pic in post #15 with your LJII on that plan? Any chance you could take another similar pic, but without the rocket on it? :) That would have enough detail for me, it is pretty clear just from the pic how things go. Thanks.

sandman 10-28-2007 10:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a copy of that drawing in no particular scale. I just made it fit the page. I have hard copies that fit a BT-101 body tube.

I also included a 1/70th scale drawing so we can get back on track in this thrread. :D

I have had very good luck and really nice results on my models using "body wraps".

Those are pre printed patterns that are glued around the body.

I make them in CAD so I can adjust them to any scale you want. I print them on glossy presantation paper.

I also have the upper body wrap and one for the escape tower.

I may as well share all the "crap" I've drawn and accumulated in my research on the LJ II.

CraigF 10-28-2007 05:35 PM

Thanks for that data! It should be of huge benefit to anybody making that round, and probably any of the rounds with elevons.

Edit: oh yeah, forgot to say the other info you mentioned would be welcome too. JIC you thought noone was interested... :D