Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Wanted: Dead or Alive! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Phantom cutaway engine... (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=12615)

K'Tesh 06-12-2013 11:04 PM

Phantom cutaway engine...

I have an old Estes Phantom rocket.

This was the rocket that was made from clear parts to show students how model rockets are built and work. However, the cutaway engine was lost. Anybody got one that they could duplicate or do without?

Thanks
Jim

stefanj 06-13-2013 12:37 AM

I never saw one of the cut-away motors.

It shouldn't be too hard to duplicate.

Slice a dummy casing in half

Seal the edges with glue and sand smooth.

Use Sculpy or similar bake-hard modeling material to create the nozzle and various fuel grains.

Paint.

gpoehlein 06-13-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj

Use Sculpy or similar bake-hard modeling material to create the nozzle and various fuel grains.

Paint.

Or just use Sculpy III or Fimo and use the three colors of your choice for the fuel, delay and ejection charge. Definitely want to do a dummy casing because the residue from an expended motor would get pretty messy. You could even do some graphics using a text editor (Word, etc) to make some graphics for the outside of the motor, print on some adhesive label stock and stick it on the motor. If you aren't in a hurry and have a Hobby Lobby nearby, watch the weekly sales flyer - they put all craft clays (polymer AND plasticine) on sale about every four to six weeks, so you can get them at half price.

Ltvscout 06-13-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj

Paint.

Estes did have a cut-away motor for the old 60's version Phantom. I have one in my collection.

K'Tesh 06-13-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Estes did have a cut-away motor for the old 60's version Phantom. I have one in my collection.

Could you photograph the engine? One thing that I would want to do is to get the shape of the engine nozzle right.

Of course another option would be to print out one of the cutaway images of a rocket motor and glue it onto a section of 1/2 round moulding glued into a engine casing, and forget about notching it for the nozzle. For fun, I could use the other half of the casing to create a "while burning" example... or if I wanted to be really over the top, divide it into thirds or quarters, and show most or all stages of a launch... from beginning to end.

Thanks
Jim

Ltvscout 06-13-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
Could you photograph the engine? One thing that I would want to do is to get the shape of the engine nozzle right.

Thanks
Jim

I said I had one in my collection, I didn't say it was readily available. ;) If you saw my basement you'd know what I meant. :D

kurtschachner 06-13-2013 10:35 AM

I have one that I can get to easier than your archeological dig. I think.

Just use the search function Scott.

Quote:
I said I had one in my collection, I didn't say it was readily available. ;) If you saw my basement you'd know what I meant. :D

tbzep 06-13-2013 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

They had one for later Phantom kits also. It's just a split paper motor case with a styrene insert that you paint yourself.

Here's a real A8-3 cutaway.

luke strawwalker 06-13-2013 01:25 PM

I made a "BIG ONE" for a 4H rocketry presentation I did last year... it's made out of a heavy-wall kraft paper tube about 2 inches or so in diameter, using modeling clay of various colors to represent the nozzle, propellant, delay grain, ejection charge, and clay cap... Since I had the other side of the split casing, I went ahead and made a simpler version, a booster motor, to show how staging works...

Got pix here somewhere...

Later! OL JR :)

Bill 06-13-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
I made a "BIG ONE" for a 4H rocketry presentation I did last year... it's made out of a heavy-wall kraft paper tube about 2 inches or so in diameter, using modeling clay of various colors to represent the nozzle, propellant, delay grain, ejection charge, and clay cap... Since I had the other side of the split casing, I went ahead and made a simpler version, a booster motor, to show how staging works...

Or you could buy essentially the same thing in a kit for $9: http://fliskits.com/products/accessories/motor.htm

Bill