Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Designer's Studio (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Scrounged-Up Designs 2006 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=192)

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-02-2005 11:34 PM

Cool. Kind of Andromeda-esque. :cool:

CPMcGraw 06-02-2005 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Cool. Kind of Andromeda-esque. :cool:

And since it uses SEMROC components, you can think of it as "What Centuri might have done if Centuri had done the Andromeda..." :D

I'm learning some tricks with RS now (you can tell, right?), and some really interesting results when I put fins in various locations. I'm trying to take advantage of some of those wierd numbers in some of these new designs...

Craig...

CPMcGraw 06-03-2005 03:55 PM

New Plan -- Typhoon

2 Attachment(s)
One custom BMS transition required, and a long streamer, but otherwise uses SEMROC components.

The long ST-5 tube is shown in two pieces -- a 1" long inside tube and an 11" outside tube. This is a limitation of the simulator. Use one continuous 12" length of ST-5, and insert 1" up into the transition's core from the front.

Enjoy!

Craig.

rkt2k1 06-04-2005 05:57 PM

Craig,

Very cool :cool: designs!! I especially like the Willow! Thanks for sharing your designs with the rest of us!

... Bill

CPMcGraw 06-04-2005 07:53 PM

New Plan -- Cloud Tickler

2 Attachment(s)
This is one of my Schoolyard Sounders series...

13mm motors, ST-8 body tubes...

Designed for very small fields without making you feel like you're flying a small model...

Enjoy!

Craig

CPMcGraw 06-04-2005 07:56 PM

New Plan -- Streak

2 Attachment(s)
Another Schoolyard Sounder...

Enjoy!

Craig...

CPMcGraw 06-04-2005 08:22 PM

Revised Plan -- Willow

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of design adjustments were needed for this plan, nothing that changes the appearance or the dimensions, but which should explain what I had to do to get the plan to work on the simulator.

The connecting tunnel, between the forward crew compartment and the rear engineering section, should be a single piece of ST-5, 12" long. The two BMS custom transitions are to be cored to accept the ST-7 tube. 3" of the tube at each end are embedded through these cores, and this forms a "backbone" to keep the two sections steady. Doing this also required the addition of a BTC-5 bulkhead in the rear of the tube, to have something to mount the screw eye into. EPOXY the screw eye into the bulkhead, and EPOXY the bulkhead into the tube.

The BR-1013 transition should also be cored, with a 1.75" length of ST-5 embedded as a liner for the deployment gasses to pass through.

Hope this clears up any confusion...

Craig.

CPMcGraw 06-04-2005 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt2k1
Craig,

Very cool :cool: designs!! I especially like the Willow! Thanks for sharing your designs with the rest of us!

... Bill

Thanks for the kind words. I'm happy that folks are liking what I've come up with.

Be sure to download the updated plan for the Willow, because I made a couple of changes that should make the plan more understandable. Read the comments section "hidden" on the first tab of the simulation file. The simulator has a few limitations in what it understands about construction, and I've had to adapt my thinking around it.

Craig...

CPMcGraw 06-05-2005 07:42 AM

New Plan -- Solar Flare

2 Attachment(s)
Another in the Schoolyard Sounders series.

Schoolyard Sounders are all 13mm motor designs, intended for flying in small fields and small schoolyards, but without compromising the size and feel of larger 18mm designs. These designs offer great performance with minimal power.

Enjoy!

Craig McGraw

CPMcGraw 06-05-2005 07:49 AM

New Plan -- Pointy Thang

2 Attachment(s)
When Flying Cones Of Death develop attitudes, they often look painful just standing still...

The simulator says this will fly, and not too shabbily, either.

Enjoy...with care!

Craig...