Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Kit Collecting (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Question about kit storage (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=19216)

Initiator001 01-13-2021 11:22 PM

Question about kit storage

Okay, I expect that most folks here have collections of unbuilt kits.

I was thinking about the way I store my kits and wanted to ask the hive-mind a question:

Do you store your BAGGED kits vertically or horizontally and why?
Is your decision based on any of your sealed bagged kits receiving/developing damage from the way they have been stored?

I look forward to your responses. :)

heada 01-14-2021 09:21 AM

I store all my kits in plastic storage tubs. For those bagged kits that are "short" enough, they're stored vertically to protect the tubes from getting out of round. For those that are too tall, they're horizontal but I make sure to not layer kits more than 2 deep, again to help keep the tubes round.

ghrocketman 01-14-2021 09:26 AM

I store mine vertically in cardboard boxes.
I don't have nearly as many kits as some on this forum though....it's less than 100 I'm sure.

tbzep 01-14-2021 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heada
I store all my kits in plastic storage tubs. For those bagged kits that are "short" enough, they're stored vertically to protect the tubes from getting out of round. For those that are too tall, they're horizontal but I make sure to not layer kits more than 2 deep, again to help keep the tubes round.

Same here, all the bagged kits go in tubs with long ones lengthwise, short ones upright. However, the ones I place horizontally are laid on edge, like a shelf of library books. I usually stack a second row on top with the card edges indexed between the kits below. Wide packaging like the Space Shuttle, early Star Wars kits, etc. won't get a second level.

Don Altschwager 01-14-2021 09:49 AM

Horizontal in plastic totes. What helps to keep the weight off of the kits on the bottom is to keep them in boxes in the tote - problem is finding boxes that fit. I also tend to put small kits inside of larger boxed kits (if they are open). To keep track of where everything is the totes are numbered on the end and I keep a spreadsheet of where everything is.

BEC 01-14-2021 01:27 PM

I also use totes - now almost all of them are the Hefty brand 40-quart totes with the raised lids. Kits generally get laid horizontally in these, though they can only be two or three layers deep. Some also are turned on edge...it kind of deepends on the contents of the individual box. I also make sure not to squeeze them in so tightly that putting the lid on adds any additional pressure.

The Alphas, which now take up a box of their own, are generally on edge, with a couple of the larger educator packages laid gently on top.

These are stacked and numbered and tracked via a spreadsheet, as Don described.

jetlag 01-14-2021 02:07 PM

I'm up to 46 bins that are at least 64 qt size. There are certainly ones I have that are larger for longer rockets. Most are lain horizontally.
Each bin is numbered, and it's contents are on a spreadsheet. When I build one, I just put a 'B' beside it. With the number of kits I have, I try to be somewhat organized! Really helps if I see something I want, often I have to check my master listing first to see if I have one already (or 3, etc.).
Manufacturers are in alphabetical order. The kits then have a corresponding bin number which makes them easier to retrieve.

Allen

neil_w 01-14-2021 05:34 PM

I keep mine vertical, hanging on a single peg on my pegboard. All three of them.

To me, vertical simply leaves less opportunity for damage.

Gus 01-14-2021 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
...Each bin is numbered, and it's contents are on a spreadsheet...

Allen, remember...

If you have an inventory, it's not hoarding!

:D :D :D

BEC 01-14-2021 07:18 PM

Thanks, Steve. I'm not as bad as Allen (I'm up to 24 of those Hefty boxes) but I'm bad enough... :eek: